X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 18-19 season

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    And that's how it ended.
    I think it's fair to say that both games last night were somewhat surprising. Norwich was the favorite despite Williams having a solid season, and no one thought Endicott would keep the game that close against Plattsburgh.

It will be interesting to see if Plattsburgh can re-focus and collect themselves.

As for Norwich, I wonder if some of the mystique has broken away this season. A few teams have played them very well and even tied them when they weren't supposed to. I know Castleton (despite the final score) walked into their game last weekend feeling like they had a chance (especially after the 3-3 tie earlier in the season), that's not something that has happened very often in the past. Plymouth also played them tough this year.
    Once the mystique is gone you lose part of your edge. They're still a great team, but I wonder if the door has opened, even just a crack, for other teams.

Comment

Beware the Ephs! I remember, back in the mists of DIII women's time, being told by PNC that there is nothing more dangerous than a young team that doesn't now any better. Following their triumph last evening, who knows. Many dreams have ended on the ice at Stafford...

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
        I think it's fair to say that both games last night were somewhat surprising. Norwich was the favorite despite Williams having a solid season, and no one thought Endicott would keep the game that close against Plattsburgh.

It will be interesting to see if Plattsburgh can re-focus and collect themselves.

As for Norwich, I wonder if some of the mystique has broken away this season. A few teams have played them very well and even tied them when they weren't supposed to. I know Castleton (despite the final score) walked into their game last weekend feeling like they had a chance (especially after the 3-3 tie earlier in the season), that's not something that has happened very often in the past. Plymouth also played them tough this year.
        Once the mystique is gone you lose part of your edge. They're still a great team, but I wonder if the door has opened, even just a crack, for other teams.
        I didn't think Williams was an underdog. This was a team that beat Middlebury 3 times this year and Elmira once, going 21-4-3. They were the home team for a reason. They might be a slight underdog this coming weekend, but it would be stupid to overlook the Purple Cows.... they are absolutely for real.
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I think the mystique is wearing off on a lot of teams. Endicott nearly beat 6-time national champion Plattsburgh. Williams beat Elmira earlier this year and beat Middlebury three times.

The gap has most definitely closed between the "elite" and the second tier. It's hard to distinguish a clear second tier right now honestly. Look at how many losses Middlebury had this year in a very tough top to bottom NESCAC.

The game is certainly growing and there are teams making serious in roads to the upper echelon. I'd look for teams like Suffolk, William Smith and Nazareth to start breaking into that top group sooner rather than later just to name a few.

Is Plattsburgh the favorite on Saturday? Definitely. Would it shock me if they lost to Williams? Not at all.

Look at what the west has done over the last 2 or 3 years...Adrian has beat top eastern teams, Hamline beat Plattsburgh last year and is having another outstanding year. St. Thomas looks to be the real deal this year. I think the top western teams have certainly caught up or darn close to it with the Eastern elite and there are other teams in the East that are starting to poke their heads into the clouds too for a glimpse at needing those extra few steps to what it takes to compete at the top level year in and year out.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

I don't think it's mystique per se. What I do think is it's a combination of a weaker team "getting up" for a perennial favorite and the perennial favorite perhaps "caught off guard" intensity wise because they've breezed through most of their competition throughout the season. In the Plattsburgh game, the shots were 51-10. That's not closing the gap.

Comment

The PWR moved. Plattsburgh back to second, will this have any effect on Final Four Location if St Thomas should lose? Or is the previous PWR what is used?

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                The PWR moved. Plattsburgh back to second, will this have any effect on Final Four Location if St Thomas should lose? Or is the previous PWR what is used?
                That'll be interesting. I'll bet they stick with the original seedings. Both Plattsburgh and Elmira are playing teams tied for 3rd in the PWR, so......

BTW, with Plattsburgh announcing their game as 3pm, all four games will drop the puck at the same time.... I'll have to keep collegehockeystats.net handy on Saturaday!
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
                  I don't think it's mystique per se. What I do think is it's a combination of a weaker team "getting up" for a perennial favorite and the perennial favorite perhaps "caught off guard" intensity wise because they've breezed through most of their competition throughout the season. In the Plattsburgh game, the shots were 51-10. That's not closing the gap.
                  I haven’t seen Plattsburgh enough this year to comment but you’re probably right. In the case of Norwich they just seem a little off at times this year. I’m sure some of it is the difficulty of keeping the pressure on all season, but I do think that has given weaker teams a sense of the ‘possible’ and that may change the dynamics over the course of next season.

Comment

The PWR is not used anymore. The seeds are the seeds and they do not change once the tournament starts.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

It makes sense, Plattsburgh played a game and Elmira didn't which would shift the numbers. I can't imagine the NCAA would "punish" Elmira for getting a 1st round bye when it comes to hosting the tournament.

The St Thomas/Eau Claire matchup will be interesting. Eau Claire's been up and down this year, (very up lately) but hasn't fared too well against the upper MIAC teams, losing to Gustavus and losing/tying Hamline. They do have the ability to score a lot of goals quickly, which has happened in both of the games they won against River Falls. 4 goals in 6 minutes and then 3 goals in 4 minutes. Granted I think the St Thomas D/Torpy are better than RF. It really is hard to say that St Thomas will definitely come away with the win.

This is hard for me, I'd love nothing more than to see both WIAC teams advance...but on the other hand I want St Thomas to host the final 4. The way the bracket is set up is kind of annoying...as you could very well see St Thomas/Hamline round 4 or River Falls/Eau Claire round 5 in the semis. But at least its guaranteed one west team in the finals. My dream would be Adrian vs the winner of the other semi of course
                      Last edited by gojackets; 03-07-2019, 02:24 PM.
                      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        The PWR is not used anymore. The seeds are the seeds and they do not change once the tournament starts.
                        I can't take your word for it. You're still a homer for Elmira...
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95

Comment

People said the same thing, almost verbatim, about the Norwich men after 2016. In 2017, they finished as a one-loss national champion. Norwich wasn't as good this year as they've been in years past. I'm quite sure they'll rebound just fine. While, perhaps, some kind of gap has closed slightly there is still an ocean between the haves and have-nots in the women's game.

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                            I didn't think Williams was an underdog. This was a team that beat Middlebury 3 times this year and Elmira once, going 21-4-3. They were the home team for a reason. They might be a slight underdog this coming weekend, but it would be stupid to overlook the Purple Cows.... they are absolutely for real.
                            Willy is for real and on a roll. Though they will be a serious underdog, I Would not be shocked if Willy takes down Splats. Edge in goal for Willy as she's actually faced decent teams and more than 10 shots per game all season.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                              Willy is for real and on a roll. Though they will be a serious underdog, I Would not be shocked if Willy takes down Splats. Edge in goal for Willy as she's actually faced decent teams and more than 10 shots per game all season.
                              Just wow... troll much?
                              Steve
                              Penn State Class of '95

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                                People said the same thing, almost verbatim, about the Norwich men after 2016. In 2017, they finished as a one-loss national champion. Norwich wasn't as good this year as they've been in years past. I'm quite sure they'll rebound just fine. While, perhaps, some kind of gap has closed slightly there is still an ocean between the haves and have-nots in the women's game.
                                Given my affiliation with Castleton I hope you’re wrong 😀. But it’s entirely possible. Like I said: they are still a very good team.

Comment

Working...
                                X