D3 18-19 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 18-19 season

Let's give D3 a new thread as it prepares to kick off it's new season tomorrow. Looking at collegehockeystats.com it will be Neumann at Cortland as the first official game of the season. To all teams, have a great season!

Re: D3 18-19 season

I'm happy but quite surprised to see Plattsburgh ranked 2nd in the preseason D3hockey.com poll. They were fourth in the final poll of 17-18 for that site and lost two all time great forwards. I'm curious if the voters were basing it more on the returning players plus recruiting classes of Plattsburgh, Elmira and Hamline or if they think Elmira and Hamline somehow lost even more of what made them successful last year.

In today's opening day action, we have some non-conference action on the docket:

Neumann @ Cortland - 2PM ET
    Wilkes @ King's - 3:30PM ET
    LVC @ Post - 4:00PM ET
    Buff State @ Canton - 4:00PM ET
    Sacred Heart @ Johnson & Wales - 4:00PM ET
    Anna Maria @ Nazareth - 6:00PM ET
    Franklin Pierce @ Plymouth State - 6:00PM ET
    Suffolk @ Nichols - 6:40PM ET (odd start time, anyone know why?)
    Morrisville @ Castleton - 7:00PM ET
    Saint Michael's @ Potsdam - 7:00PM ET
    William Smith @ Salve Regina - 7:00PM ET
    Aurora @ Trine - 7:00PM ET
    Stevenson @ UMB - 7:00PM ET
    Southern Maine @ UNE - 7:00PM ET
    Chatham @ St. Benedict - 7:30PM ET (interesting East vs West opener)
    St. Scholastica @ Augsburg - 8:00PM ET
    Concordia (WI) @ Bethel - 8:00PM ET
    St. Mary's @ St. Norbert - 8:00 PM ET
    Lake Forest @ St. Thomas - 8:00 PM ET
    UWSP @ St. Olaf - 8:30PM ET
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 10-26-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      I'm happy but quite surprised to see Plattsburgh ranked 2nd in the preseason D3hockey.com poll. They were fourth in the final poll of 17-18 for that site and lost two all time great forwards. I'm curious if the voters were basing it more on the returning players plus recruiting classes of Plattsburgh, Elmira and Hamline or if they think Elmira and Hamline somehow lost even more of what made them successful last year.

In today's opening day action, we have some non-conference action on the docket:

Neumann @ Cortland - 2PM ET
      Wilkes @ King's - 3:30PM ET
      LVC @ Post - 4:00PM ET
      Buff State @ Canton - 4:00PM ET
      Sacred Heart @ Johnson & Wales - 4:00PM ET
      Anna Maria @ Nazareth - 6:00PM ET
      Franklin Pierce @ Plymouth State - 6:00PM ET
      Suffolk @ Nichols - 6:40PM ET (odd start time, anyone know why?)
      Morrisville @ Castleton - 7:00PM ET
      Saint Michael's @ Potsdam - 7:00PM ET
      William Smith @ Salve Regina - 7:00PM ET
      Aurora @ Trine - 7:00PM ET
      Stevenson @ UMB - 7:00PM ET
      Southern Maine @ UNE - 7:00PM ET
      Chatham @ St. Benedict - 7:30PM ET (interesting East vs West opener)
      St. Scholastica @ Augsburg - 8:00PM ET
      Concordia (WI) @ Bethel - 8:00PM ET
      St. Mary's @ St. Norbert - 8:00 PM ET
      Lake Forest @ St. Thomas - 8:00 PM ET
      UWSP @ St. Olaf - 8:30PM ET

Agree!
      Plattsburgh will no doubt be a contender but I had them 3rd or 4th.

BTW, Castleton game starts a 4pm (men play at 7pm)

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
        BTW, Castleton game starts a 4pm (men play at 7pm)
        Someone should tell College Hockey Stats, because that's where I got that.

Comment

And it looks like Cortland is the first D3 team to win this season. Congrats to them. Who will be next???

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            And it looks like Cortland is the first D3 team to win this season. Congrats to them. Who will be next???
            That was a nice goal from Cortland to go ahead with :59 on the clock and prevent OT.

I checked out the Wilkes @ King's stream. Very impressed with how Wilkes held up with 6 skaters dressed for the game. 3-1 win by King's College Monarchs, who only had a 30-26 shot advantage over the understaffed Colonels.

Post 3 - LVC - 0 [FINAL]
            Morrisville 6 - Castleton 1 [Very late in the 3rd] - The Mustangs 3 of 6 on the Power Play.
            Buff State 3 - Canton 0 [Late in the 3rd] - including a SHG.
            Sacred Heart 2 - Johnson & Wales 0 - [FINAL]
            Last edited by Scott_TG; 10-26-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              I checked out the Wilkes @ King's stream. Very impressed with how Wilkes held up with 6 skaters dressed for the game. 3-1 win by King's College Monarchs, who only had a 30-26 shot advantage over the understaffed Colonels.
              Totally agree. King's looked just terrible. Very undisciplined in taking 11 penalties with 7 of them in the 2nd period with the benches farther away for line changes. Their D seemed to always over-comitt to the Wilkes puck carriers which resulted in way too many 2 on 1 rushes and shot opportunities, and overall they failed to press a team with only one spare on the bench! The forwards in particular should have been playing in-your-face hockey to exhaust Wilkes by the mid-point of the game. They made no apparent adjustments to these things during the game or from one period to the next. I think King's was lucky to win. Coach better review today's game video and learn some very basic lessons.

Comment

Some other results from yesterday:

Nazareth 5 - Anna Maria 1, so Naz gets their first win as a program despite giving up a very early goal.

Nichols 5 - Suffolk 2, Mel McAleer scores 4 points for Nichols as Suffolk loses their debut game.

William Smith 7 - Salve Regina 2
                Aurora 4 - Trine 0
                UMB 5 - Stevenson 2
                St. Benedict 5 - Chatham 1
                St. Scholastica 3 - Augsburg 1
                Concordia (WI) 2 - Bethel 0
                St. Thomas 3 - Lake Forest 0

In today's action:
                Cortland 3 - Neumann 0; Cortland sweeps Neumann to start the year. The games live right now are tied.

We have some good matchups on the docket this afternoon:

Norwich @ Elmira - 3:00PM ET
                Hamline @ UW-Eau Claire - 3:00PM ET
                Adrian at UW-River Falls - 3:05PM ET

Comment

Final:
                  Norwich - 2
                  Elmira - 4
                  Dave
                  RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                    Final:
                    Norwich - 2
                    Elmira - 4
                    Two first year goalies traded shaky 1st periods (before both showed some chops as the game progressed), Granato with the hat trick, and Jerolman with a goal and an assist, defeat a two goal effort by Conway, as Elmira avenged last season's championship game loss, beating Norwich.

Comment

Granato was possessed. What a game. She was difference IMHO. Plus, Norwich 0-for-5 on the power play.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Adrian beat UW-River Falls 4-3 in OT. Freshman Jessica VonRuden makes her first goal count with the OT-winner over a Western power.

Hamline beat UW-Eau Claire in a 5-4 contest that was in a way reminiscent of their NCAA quarterfinal game from March but in other ways not. Hamline with a big lead and Eau Claire coming charging back before falling just short. The big difference was this Eau Claire actually tied the game in the last minute, thanks to an extra-attacker PPG. However Hamline sophomore Madison Kolbow came up with an unassisted shorty to put the Pipers past the finish line.

St. Thomas completes the sweep of Lake Forest with a 4-0 shutout. Shae McLean had two goals in the win.

Comment

I see in the boxscore that Oswego squeaked by Wilkes yesterday 5-0. Shots were slightly in their favor too 66-3. Seriously though I honestly thought Oswego would score in the double digits and that Wilkes wouldn't get a shot on goal. Good on Oswego for not running up the score although judging by the shots in each period maybe more credit needs to go to the Wilkes goalies who split the game again and withstood the onslaught of Oswego shots!

Comment

So it appears Hamline scored as OT expired last night. I believe that's the second boxscore I've seen this year already where the winning team scored with no time on the clock. I think the other game might have been a D1 game a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a fan of seeing goals posted at the 5 minute mark of OT. I've seen them post goals with the tenths of a second displayed if my memory is correct. That's the way it should be posted so it shows an increment of time remaining.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              So it appears Hamline scored as OT expired last night. I believe that's the second boxscore I've seen this year already where the winning team scored with no time on the clock. I think the other game might have been a D1 game a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a fan of seeing goals posted at the 5 minute mark of OT. I've seen them post goals with the tenths of a second displayed if my memory is correct. That's the way it should be posted so it shows an increment of time remaining.
                              The box score I read was 1:20 into OT. On another note, UW-Superior may be better than preseason predictions - adding a couple of UMD transfers definitely looks to have bolstered their D and goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                              X