Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 229

Thread: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by nefan View Post
    Salve with a quality win last night vs. a #15 NEC team that has beaten some good teams (Hobart, Babson, Umass Boston). Seahawks go into the break with an impressive 9-1-1 record. Salve played real well at times controlling the game but fell asleep at times which allowed NEC to tie the game up. Maybe the long drive or the Tuesday night game factored in the up and down play? NEC is good and will continue to win games in the NEHC. See everyone after the New year.
    I think that is what makes Salve such a dangerous team. You cannot allow them any space. You need to score early and often and not let up for a single shift. You take a shift off against Salve and they will make you pay. They have kids who know how to win, they never think they are out of a game, unless they are down by four or five goals. And, even then, they know if they get one, they could get two!

  2. #162
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by dinocoach View Post
    I think that is what makes Salve such a dangerous team. You cannot allow them any space. You need to score early and often and not let up for a single shift. You take a shift off against Salve and they will make you pay. They have kids who know how to win, they never think they are out of a game, unless they are down by four or five goals. And, even then, they know if they get one, they could get two!
    Salve certainly didn't look "dangerous" at Utica, but maybe they had bus-legs. Two strides behind all game long.

    Nothing to fear there, on that night.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-13-2019 at 10:18 PM.

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Salve certainly didn't look "dangerous" at Utica, but maybe they had bus-legs. Two strides behind all game long.

    Nothing to fear there, on that night.
    They looked pretty dangerous at Utica the night before on Friday night vs. Oswego! Long day in the hotel, bus legs, whatever, really doesnít matter. They didnít play well and lost. Happens to every team a few times during a long season. CCC has 4 teams that can beat anybody on any given night. Some quality non-conference games after X-mas should help determine where they all fit in. Enjoy the break!!

  4. #164
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Salve certainly didn't look "dangerous" at Utica, but maybe they had bus-legs. Two strides behind all game long.

    Nothing to fear there, on that night.
    Fish, That's what I'm talking about. Utica scored early in the first and early in the second, with no response from Salve. If you're going to beat Salve you have to get them early and not let up for a second. It seems like that is what Utica did. They also got Salve into some "lazy" penalties that come from frustration. Usually, when you get that from Salve they will not play well.

    But then again, what do I know?

  5. #165
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by dinocoach View Post
    Fish, That's what I'm talking about. Utica scored early in the first and early in the second, with no response from Salve. If you're going to beat Salve you have to get them early and not let up for a second. It seems like that is what Utica did. They also got Salve into some "lazy" penalties that come from frustration. Usually, when you get that from Salve they will not play well.

    But then again, what do I know?
    Coach, my post was sort of extraneous. Sorry. What happened that night is that UC played as perfect a hockey game as I've seen in many years, maybe ever.

    No disrespect to Salve. I was a fan of theirs in the NCAA's last year. Utica just put on a clinic that night.

  6. #166
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Coach, my post was sort of extraneous. Sorry. What happened that night is that UC played as perfect a hockey game as I've seen in many years, maybe ever.

    No disrespect to Salve. I was a fan of theirs in the NCAA's last year. Utica just put on a clinic that night.
    No apology necessary, I hated playing against teams like Salve! They are cocky, they play with a chip on their shoulder, and they have been very successful. They are the type of team the saying "What goes around comes around", was made for! But, you have to give them their due. They are like Brad Marchand, you love him playing for your team and hate him if plays for anyone else!

    Looking forward to the second half of the season.

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Nichols broke the ice against Franklin Pierce last Saturday with a 4-0 win. Good for them! I believe they are still a team that should finish in the top 4 of the CCC, but it means they'll have to have a great second half. I am sure they are relieved to that first one under their belt.

    I hope everyone enjoys the tidings of the season! See you all after Christmas, when several CCC teams are traveling to tournaments. When does Curry leave for Europe?

  8. #168
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by dinocoach View Post
    Nichols broke the ice against Franklin Pierce last Saturday with a 4-0 win. Good for them! I believe they are still a team that should finish in the top 4 of the CCC, but it means they'll have to have a great second half. I am sure they are relieved to that first one under their belt.

    I hope everyone enjoys the tidings of the season! See you all after Christmas, when several CCC teams are traveling to tournaments. When does Curry leave for Europe?
    Curry leaves January 9th.

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Tough start of the year for the CCC. Sounds like the goalie from Cortland stood on his head last night against Salve. UNE lost a tough one to Williams. D-man fell down with puck as he was trying to clear the zone and the kids from Williams had the puck about 15 feet in front of the net. He beat Churchill with a nifty wrister. On to Oswego tonight!

  10. #170
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    I just checked all the scores for last night! CCC went 0-5 in NC games. Not a good start at all!

  11. #171
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by dinocoach View Post
    I just checked all the scores for last night! CCC went 0-5 in NC games. Not a good start at all!
    Things are so fluid lately. No telling from year to year. Even the UCHC -which was very weak last season- is looking as good as or better than any other conference in '19/'20.

    Go figger.

    (I sure can't.)

  12. #172
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    But that is what makes the games so interesting!

    The CCC did rebound a bit on Saturday, with UNE beating a ranked opponent (Oswego), Salve recovering against Assumption. CCC Members Endicott and Wentworth played a NC game for 3rd place in Plattsburgh. Nichols still continues to, in my opinion, underperform, losing to St Johns and Bryn Athyn in their own tourney. Conference play doesn't start until next week, so we'll have to wait a bit more to see how it all falls out! Like you say, Fish, Go Figger!

  13. #173
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Not a good night for Salve up in Biddeford! First, someone forgot to pack their uniforms, then they suffered an embarrassing third period collapse, giving up 7 goals (including 5 PPGs) to fall 9-0. Salve's last two games include being outscored 13-0 in the last 5 periods, including 7 PPGs. This makes tonight's game at the Abbey a critical test of their season.

    I am aware that it can be very unsettling for a team to have the usual routine for game day get upset, but the first period was an up-and-down affair with great chances for both teams. There were some great hard hitting hits, by both teams, all over the ice, and it appeared the refs were going to allow the kids to play their game. UNE went up 2-0 and Salve had a great chance early in the 2nd period with the puck on the stick behind the goalie, and he couldn't finish. That hurt!

    The 3rd period devolved into Salve imploding. They were trying to bait UNE into taking some foolish penalties, which UNE has done in the past, but it backfired on them resulting in Salve playing the man down.

    It looks like Curry started slow against Wentworth, but got it going in the 3rd to pull away 6-3. Nichols got their second win in Conference play beating WNEU 2-1 with a late goal, and on Thursday night Endicott beat Becker 5-0.

    All 8 teams are in action tonight. It will be interesting to see if UNE can follow up on last night's game with another win. Salve is a much better team than they showed last night, so it should a tight one.

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by dinocoach View Post
    Not a good night for Salve up in Biddeford! First, someone forgot to pack their uniforms
    So what did they wear for the game??

  15. #175
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    So what did they wear for the game??
    I'd love to tell you it was "shirts against skins", but it wasn't. They wore UNE road uniforms.

  16. #176
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Not sure what is going on with Salve but they are now down 0-7 against UNE at the Abbey. Five more PPGs for UNE and UNE is out shooting Salve 34-9. Salve is not this bad. Anyone know anything? Sickness, injuries, academic issues?

  17. #177
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,443

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Is there some kind of history between Endicott and Becker? Between the penalties and the score it looked like an Adrian game...

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Is there some kind of history between Endicott and Becker? Between the penalties and the score it looked like an Adrian game...
    Becker has been a doormat for the conference since the conference began. Becker and Endicott both played in the old ECAC-Northeast, the conference before the CCC. I don't think they really developed a rivalry, per se, but I do think there may be some history, mostly slanted toward Endicott.

    I think this just may be a case of catching Becker early and then running the score up. Neither team is really disciplined and both react and are susceptible to taking foolish penalties at bad times.

  19. #179
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    219

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by dinocoach View Post
    Not sure what is going on with Salve but they are now down 0-7 against UNE at the Abbey. Five more PPGs for UNE and UNE is out shooting Salve 34-9. Salve is not this bad. Anyone know anything? Sickness, injuries, academic issues?
    I have no inside intel but I did notice that one of the dmen JJ Layton appears to have left the team as he is no longer on the roster.

  20. #180
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    304

    Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    I have no inside intel but I did notice that one of the dmen JJ Layton appears to have left the team as he is no longer on the roster.
    It seems larger than one player. On Friday night, the played the first period as well as any team I have seen so far this year. They had a jump in their step. Salve was stride-for-stride with UNE until UNE scored a couple of goals. Also, early in the second period, with the score 2-0 UNE, Salve had two excellent chances to score. One opportunity saw the Salve player at the side of the net, with the puck, and the UNE goalie out of the net. When he didn't score on that play, it seemed as though the Salve players lost their spirit. You can recognize it when the players shoulders drop and the extra step just isn't there. At that point in the game, still plenty of time to play, to appear to give up, is telling of a much larger problem.

    Then last night's game, another 9-0 drubbing from UNE. That needed to be a "response" game, and it, in a way it was and the response was dismal. There is still a lot time left in the season, but the Salve has a lot of work to do to recover from this. With two games against Endicott and two games against Curry still on their schedule they need to get right. I kind of feel for Becker next week after enduring a 15-0 loss to Endicott and coming up against a good Salve team that has to be stung but this weekends results.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •