Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Has it really been 40 years? Time flies...

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wic...20190116y3vua4
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Tse scored her second and third goals of the season within 91 seconds, an EAG on a delayed penalty, then a PPG, to bring Harvard within one at 15:00 of the third - - - the first Crimson D since Edney to score two in a game. An ENG sealed the deal for Colgate, 4-2. What threatened to become a Raiders blowout after a crisp first period forced Harvard to put a season high 42 shots on goal. (This team can beat Cornell tomorrow if they just put it where they ain’t.)

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
        Tse scored her second and third goals of the season within 91 seconds, an EAG on a delayed penalty, then a PPG, to bring Harvard within one at 15:00 of the third - - - the first Crimson D since Edney to score two in a game. An ENG sealed the deal for Colgate, 4-2. What threatened to become a Raiders blowout after a crisp first period forced Harvard to put a season high 42 shots on goal. (This team can beat Cornell tomorrow if they just put it where they ain’t.)
        Well they didn't. On a weekend that celebrated 40 years of Harvard women's hockey and the 1999 championship team, you just can't submit an effort like that. I don't want to disparage Cornell because they are a good team but Harvard simply isn't competitive with the better teams. In or out of conference. I thought they were starting to turn a corner after the Wisconsin series but now I don't think so. They are too inconsistent. True that is the hallmark of a young team but we've had young teams in the past that have overcome youth to play a lot better than this. And this isn't an Ivy issue because Princeton is proving that you can build a winner with high academic standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          Well they didn't. On a weekend that celebrated 40 years of Harvard women's hockey and the 1999 championship team, you just can't submit an effort like that. I don't want to disparage Cornell because they are a good team but Harvard simply isn't competitive with the better teams. In or out of conference. I thought they were starting to turn a corner after the Wisconsin series but now I don't think so. They are too inconsistent. True that is the hallmark of a young team but we've had young teams in the past that have overcome youth to play a lot better than this. And this isn't an Ivy issue because Princeton is proving that you can build a winner with high academic standards.
          So Cornell doesn’t have high academic standards? Last time I checked Cornell was still a member of the Ivy League and has been a top team for a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop85 View Post
            So Cornell doesn’t have high academic standards? Last time I checked Cornell was still a member of the Ivy League and has been a top team for a decade.
            Read the last sentence of my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              Read the last sentence of my post.
              Perhaps you would have better said, “Ever since Cornell built a strong program a decade ago, and more recently with Princeton, it’s been proven that the Ivies can produce strong women’s hockey programs despite stringent academic standards.”

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop85 View Post
                Perhaps you would have better said, “Ever since Cornell built a strong program a decade ago, and more recently with Princeton, it’s been proven that the Ivies can produce strong women’s hockey programs despite stringent academic standards.”
                Fine.

Comment

Remember, “water polo is no longer just a California sport.” . . . . Oh, sorry! I must have been listening to the IVY intermission PR. That stuff gets in your head. All about student-athletes, ya know?

Harvard with two needed conference gimmes this weekend, with more or less a full bench (Tresca still out). KDR not dressed today, but two goals yesterday, Reddington. The other great thing about the Yale game was watching Petrie almost complete a 720 around the opponent’s goal. I think she’s going to be the Crimson’s next Pucci, as far as exciting end-to-end puck carrying goes, regardless of position. In any case, a much-needed tune-up for the opening round of the Beanpot, coming Tuesday to an Allston rink near you!

What once looked like chopped liver for Northeastern now has the makings of a pretty compelling tournament. Someone will know when three nationally-ranked teams last appeared in the Beanpot. The main event is Harvard/BC (the same BC that’s “always on the rise” according to the wonderful line by the otherwise colorless color guy). The undercard is the NU/BU game. The 2019 Beanpot would merit its own thread if the four Hub teams collectively had more than a dozen fans.

(I think the Beanpot usually brings out all the bands, but Harvard’s won’t expect as many sieve opportunities as today, so who knows?)

Comment

Remember, “water polo is no longer just a California sport.” . . . . Oh, sorry! I must have been listening to the IVY intermission PR. That stuff gets in your head. All about student-athletes, ya know?

Harvard with two needed conference gimmes this weekend, with more or less a full bench (Tresca still out). KDR not dressed today, but two goals yesterday, Reddington. The other great thing about the Yale game was watching Petrie almost complete a 720 around the opponent’s goal. I think she’s going to be the Crimson’s next Pucci, as far as exciting end-to-end puck carrying goes, regardless of position. In any case, a much-needed tune-up for the opening round of the Beanpot, coming Tuesday to an Allston rink near you!

What once looked like chopped liver for Northeastern now has the makings of a pretty compelling tournament. Someone will know when three nationally-ranked teams last appeared in the Beanpot. The main event is Harvard/BC (the same BC that’s “always on the rise” according to the wonderful line by the otherwise colorless color guy). The undercard is the NU/BU game. The 2019 Beanpot would merit its own thread if the four Hub teams collectively had more than a dozen fans.

(I think the Beanpot usually brings out all the bands, but Harvard’s won’t expect as many sieve opportunities as today, so who knows?)
                    Why was Delle Rovere out? Just when I thought she would start producing like she is capable of, an injury?

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                      Why was Delle Rovere out? Just when I thought she would start producing like she is capable of, an injury?
                      Always a mystery, until it isn’t. Rules, regs, loose lips sink ships. Understandable, but mighty frustrating. Her presence would go a long way to help H stay with BC Tuesday. But this game should not be a cakewalk for the Eagles: at home, against last year's champs, channeling some of their Wisco series vibes, Harvard will be pumped. In any case, this Beanpot is loaded, with four crucial games for all concerned.

Comment

What once looked like chopped liver for Northeastern now has the makings of a pretty compelling tournament. Someone will know when three nationally-ranked teams last appeared in the Beanpot.
                        In 2015, BC was No. 1, Harvard was No. 4, and BU was No. 6 (and Northeastern had Coyne). The next year, BC was No.1, Northeastern was No. 5, and Harvard was receiving votes. Both the Crimson and the Terriers had been ranked earlier in the year.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          In 2015, BC was No. 1, Harvard was No. 4, and BU was No. 6 (and Northeastern had Coyne). The next year, BC was No.1, Northeastern was No. 5, and Harvard was receiving votes. Both the Crimson and the Terriers had been ranked earlier in the year.
                          So not so rare a phenomenon. Thank you "someone."

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                            I was told that her grandfather passed away and she went home for the funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                              I was told that her grandfather passed away and she went home for the funeral.
                              We all too often forget that these athletes have lives outside of and beyond school.

Comment

The handwriting that was on the wall at 19:18 of the first period was erased at 8:10 of the second, and then just kept getting edited. One, two, three, fourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -one. I’ll leave it to T3 to tell us what version of BC showed up (were you there?) but the Harvard they played was not # 23, 24 or 25 in the nation. It was a healthy, rejuvenated team, undeterred by the prospect of high-flying Eagles, and skating with relentless determination. It wasn’t “grit,” because you never felt that they felt down. It was not all pretty, plenty of gaffs for a team that could finish to pounce on, but Reed was very pretty, the D increasingly confident, and the forwards not afraid to make plays when there didn’t appear to be any to be made. And when you do that, you SCORE! The Crimson were doing the flying tonight.

(A number of freshmen parents from far and wide were at Bright to experience their first Beanpot. Very gratifying.)
                                Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-05-2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X