Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    I think the fact that a very young team with a freshman goalie went out to the #1 team's barn and forced OT twice says something about Harvard's future. They can't recruit like the Western schools or BC for that matter yet they found a way to stay with the top ranked team in the country.
    Harvard could recruit more broadly but seem to choose not to. Unless you want to send your kid to a 5th year at Nobles, that is.

Comment

Re: Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Certainly not 'dispassionate', as Gophers fans will be happy to confirm. UW season tickets for nine years now. But it was a hook that had to be called, even in OT. The refs - one Hockey East, one WCHA - were not great all weekend (on Friday night they actually called a UW player for interference WHILE she had the puck!); both nights they were doing their best to 'swallow their whistles' in the third periods and overtimes. I wish I could report which of them made the call (unless it was both) but I didn't notice.
      THX! Again.

Comment

The refs - one Hockey East, one WCHA ...
        Hanrahan and Ozmen are both WCHA refs. At least, that is where they called the lines for many years; can't say if they ever work Hockey East or not. But for a regular-season game in a WCHA rink, they were hired by the WCHA for this series.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          Hanrahan and Ozmen are both WCHA refs. At least, that is where they called the lines for many years; can't say if they ever work Hockey East or not. But for a regular-season game in a WCHA rink, they were hired by the WCHA for this series.
          My mistake. I googled her name last night, and got a handful of hits from 2018 that read "Box Score - Hockey East", and went from there. I looked again just now, and if you click through, the links go to "Hockey East Online" website but are actually box scores of WCHA games. Sorry 'bout that.

(And I didn't recognize the name. Is this her first year with WCHA?)
          Last edited by robertearle; 11-25-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

And I also don’t get the continued need to brandish the rod that has flogged the very, very dead Olympic horse all these years.
            Especially since the Wisconsin coach loaded a team USA team in 2010 with seven former or current Badgers and accomplished the same thing as Stone.

Too bad Harvard couldn’t hold on for a point, but the weekend surely boosts their confidence as far as competing for the Ivy League title and in conference going forward. At the very least it got me interested in them a bit. Hope they get their star skaters back soon!

Comment

My mistake. I googled her name last night, and got a handful of hits from 2018 that read "Box Score - Hockey East", and went from there. I looked again just now, and if you click through, the links go to "Hockey East Online" website but are actually box scores of WCHA games. Sorry 'bout that.

(And I didn't recognize the name. Is this her first year with WCHA?)
              It looks like she has been around at least since 2016 as per the article.

https://www.shsoutherner.net/sports/...arsity-hockey/
              Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-25-2018, 11:31 AM. Reason: Can we trade Hanrahan to Hockey East for someone?
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                It looks like she has been around at least since 2016 as per the article.
                ... as a linesman. The linesmen for LaBahn games are just about always Dan Fitzsimons and Brenda Reinen, who both live local to Madison (although Fitz was not there this weekend).

So if they truly mean "linesman" then she would not have often worked games in Madison, until she got promoted to full referee. (Albeit Hanrahan is listed as "linesman" in last night's box score, though she was clearly one of the two refs; does the word "linesman" vs "referee" take on different meanings in different contexts? IE. One of the two with the orange armband is the "referee" while the other is the "linesman". etc?)

Comment

I've only seen Ozmen at Ridder as a linesman and just occasionally and never as a ref that I recall. We used to see Ludwig and Hanrahan as refs a lot more than we do now. That's probably a good thing.
                  Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 11-25-2018, 12:33 PM. Reason: Bring back Brad Shephard?
                  "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
                    Harvard did something remarkable this weekend. They came in to Wisconsin as a freshmen-laden team with two wins to date and played their seventh and eighth games of the season missing three forwards (one of whom is their best skater/scorer) and pushed the Badgers to two OTs. Someone behind the bench was responsible for this tremendous effort. Give credit where credit is due. Even a personal nemesis, if that what she is, deserves that.
                    Friday they looked like any other wcha team with a crazy good goalie, not not push back from the Crimson. Saturday was a tad more even with more push back with the same crazy good goalie. Hawvawd is a well coached team, a very good passing team and they played with a lot of spunk. The goalie is amazing. Her performance was the best I've seen out of an opponent's goalie in years. My references to Princeton is just me trying to figure out in my head a hierarchy of teams I have seen UW play so when I do my top 10 ranking there is some semblance of logic to it. I will never let Stone live down the Pankowski cut to keep Chu.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      The goalie was fantastic again. Is she a US or Canadian Citizen? She needs to be on one of their radars, made some crazy good saves.
                      The thinner has really done something to your long term memory. Lindsay Reed has an extensive resume with Team USA.
                      Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 11-26-2018, 02:07 PM. Reason: No need to double up words
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                        Especially since the Wisconsin coach loaded a team USA team in 2010 with seven former or current Badgers and accomplished the same thing as Stone.
                        good one! LOL
                        Last edited by pokechecker; 11-26-2018, 12:03 PM. Reason: it should be apparent that it is the players who earned their booby prize in 2010, and especially 2014

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          The thinner has really done something to your long term memory. Lindsay Reed has an extensive resume with with Team USA.
                          She's the next ONE.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Takeaway one weekend after the Wisconsin series: too much work to beat RPI and Union. (How did it take 16:57 into the 3rd period to score a second goal against Union?)

Petrie, Heffernan and Tresca still absent. Ominous. I don’t think this team gets very far without Petrie and at least one of the others. KDR, btw, seems to be the real deal too.

Comment

KDR is a player! Hockey Canada needs to wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                                Harvard could recruit more broadly but seem to choose not to. Unless you want to send your kid to a 5th year at Nobles, that is.
                                Not really. There are too many factors at play that restrict broad recruiting. Not the least of which is a limited travel budget to see kids. We can't offer athletic scholarships which further limits the pool. And yes, sometimes an extra year can help so I wouldn't disparage that strategy. Harvard coaches have their hands tied to a certain extent. I wish they would reach out to alums for help.

Comment

Working...
                                X