X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Video Highlights...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpwkdy_PExM
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
      The handwriting that was on the wall at 19:18 of the first period was erased at 8:10 of the second, and then just kept getting edited. One, two, three, fourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -one. I’ll leave it to T3 to tell us what version of BC showed up (were you there?) but the Harvard they played was not # 23, 24 or 25 in the nation. It was a healthy, rejuvenated team, undeterred by the prospect of high-flying Eagles, and skating with relentless determination. It wasn’t “grit,” because you never felt that they felt down. It was not all pretty, plenty of gaffs for a team that could finish to pounce on, but Reed was very pretty, the D increasingly confident, and the forwards not afraid to make plays when there didn’t appear to be any to be made. And when you do that, you SCORE! The Crimson were doing the flying tonight.

(A number of freshmen parents from far and wide were at Bright to experience their first Beanpot. Very gratifying.)
      Reed was outstanding and she needed every save because Harvard was badly outplayed in this game. You can't tell me the Crimson can skate with BC because they can't. Laing's goal was the result of the BC goalie basically not covering her angles - really poor coverage. Petrie's goal, while a beauty of a wrister, was the result of a defensive breakdown as was Jovanovich's second goal. Harvard was outshot almost 3-1. It's nice to look at this win with Crimson colored glasses but the reality is that Harvard doesn't have the talent to skate or play with Top Ten teams on a consistent basis. If they did, their record against said teams would not have been 0-6-2 going into last night's game.

Speaking of BC, their coach after the game made some pointed remarks about how teams should be 'scared' to play BC. Huh? If you told any athlete worth their salt that they should be scared to play another opponent, they would either laugh in your face or put you through the boards. It's an insult to any D-1, D-2, or D-3 athlete to suggest they should be scared of the competition. What utter nonsense and completely inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        It's nice to look at this win with Crimson colored glasses but the reality is that Harvard doesn't have the talent to skate or play with Top Ten teams on a consistent basis. If they did, their record against said teams would not have been 0-6-2 going into last night's game.
        I don't know where this stat comes from. Yes, Harvard has a tie with Princeton, a top-10 team. The other two ties were with UNH, who hasn't been ranked this year, and SLU, who was long since done being ranked by late January when Harvard played the Saints. The announcers last night kept mentioning the two ties with Wisconsin. Those games were tied heading into OT, but not after OT. So I don't know what the 0-6-2 should really be, but there's only one tie.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You can't tell me the Crimson can skate with BC
          If by “skate with BC” you mean have as talented a roster, then no, they can’t, and no one’s claiming otherwise. If by “skate with BC” you mean can beat them playing a game of ice hockey, then yes, they can, and everyone knows that.

Sheesh! Were you not excited in the least to see that win?

Comment

If by “skate with BC” you mean have as talented a roster, then no, they can’t, and no one’s claiming otherwise. If by “skate with BC” you mean can beat them playing a game of ice hockey, then yes, they can, and everyone knows that.

Hi, my name is Eeyore, and even I think Skate is a soulless killjoy.

Comment

Well, Harvard can't skate with the Beanpot, but they sure as hell can skate with BU. (Maybe they'll get a few ARVs. )
              Quite a game.
              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-12-2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Of course I was excited to see them win. Anytime you beat BC it's a great day. But I'll stand by my original post. And for the record, I'm not sure how you can not have as talented a roster but still 'skate' with a team stride for stride. Because you and I were watching a different game.

Comment

Well, Harvard can't skate with the Beanpot, but they sure as hell can skate with BU. (Maybe they'll get a few ARVs. )
                  Quite a game.
                  Agree although it was a soulcrusher to lose the way they did. Not saying that the penalty shouldn't have been called but it would have been nice to see them continue to go 5 on 5 because they were toe to toe all night long. Both goalies were magnificent.

See I can give credit where credit is due. What I'd like to see is Harvard channel last night's effort and energy into the rest of the season. They could then give the top four in the ECAC something to think about.

Comment

Agree although it was a soulcrusher to lose the way they did. Not saying that the penalty shouldn't have been called but it would have been nice to see them continue to go 5 on 5 because they were toe to toe all night long. Both goalies were magnificent.

See I can give credit where credit is due. What I'd like to see is Harvard channel last night's effort and energy into the rest of the season. They could then give the top four in the ECAC something to think about.
                    What makes you think that they are not giving the top 4 something to think about. If they aren’t, a wake up call is looming.

Comment

I'm not sure how you can not have as talented a roster but still 'skate' with a team stride for stride.
                      One man’s “stride for stride” or “toe to toe” need not be another man's “skate with.” It may be a distinction without a difference, but “skate with” helps me get at what’s special about the Crimson right now: Harvard was undaunted by the strength of their Beanpot opponents. It’s as simple as that, and it has to do with determination and discipline more than anything else, given how this season has been. Remember, there were lines and D pairings that probably can’t point to more than a handful of games when they skated together as a unit. So, healthy at last (save for the important exception of Tresca) and hosting the Beanpot, they were energized to the max and played for the first time as if they realized what was being asked from the talent that they themselves have. And yes, it’s critical that they take their newly found identity into this weekend. Can they now skate with Clarkson? I think so.

Can’t end a Beanpot post without a little provocation: How was BU not called on the apparent take-down from behind of Hughes in OT? I know both teams got away with some, but wow. Would love to hear the forum brass weigh in on that one.

Btw, it was nice to hear the Huskies’ Mueller and Aurard in the consolation game () intermission talk about (I think) the magic of the Beanpot. It’s what all freshmen, whatever their origins, come to appreciate.

Comment

Harvard was undaunted by the strength of their Beanpot opponents. It’s as simple as that, and it has to do with determination and discipline more than anything else...
                        Your goaltending wasn't too bad either...
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Harvard 4-2 over SLU, who had a 5x3 up 2-0. Four unanswered goals from the Crimson, including a shortie by KDR!
                          Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-15-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

A tip of the cap to the seniors who are playing their final regular season home game today. I want to give special mention to Karly Heffernan. I met Karly at the beginning of her sophomore season and got to know her dad who was at practically every home game (flying in from Western Canada no less). Sad that she was unable to play these past couple of seasons and I hope the coaches recognize her today. Maybe someday she recovers enough to play in an alumni league.

Comment

A tip of the cap to the seniors who are playing their final regular season home game today. I want to give special mention to Karly Heffernan. I met Karly at the beginning of her sophomore season and got to know her dad who was at practically every home game (flying in from Western Canada no less). Sad that she was unable to play these past couple of seasons and I hope the coaches recognize her today. Maybe someday she recovers enough to play in an alumni league.
                              KDR a shortie! That's not normally her style, she is a puck dominant playmaker behind the net. She is long though and is obviously adjusting to college play in the second half of the season. Petrie and KDR will be tough moving forward.

Comment

Not sure who does the stats for USCHO but the game winning goal was scored by Loren Gabel, not Michela Pejzlova.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X