Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten > NCHC

Originally posted by SiouxFanatic View Post
    St. Cloud has had some really good teams that just couldn't get over that postseason hump. I'd like to see St. Cloud finally have everything come together this postseason. Fun team to watch.
    All the kind words from UND fans. Not. Sure. What. To. Do. With. This.

Seriously though, the NCHC has been a great conference to be a part of. Thought there would be years where the Huskies could compete but thought there'd be more times finishing middle of the pack or lower than what we've seen. And no way would I have predicted soon to be (knocking on wood) 3 regular season championships in 6 years. Yes, this is definitely a fun team to watch. Very fast team with a lot of skill. Their struggles have come across bigger teams who are more physical, especially on smaller ice than they play on at home. I do think that has hurt them in the postseason in the past and we're looking at a similar situation this year. It does seem that Larson has figured out a few things to overcome that but we'll see how it plays out.

Hoping they get their 1st National Championship and the 4th in a row for the NCHC this year.

Comment

This isn't really a complaint as B1G teams lost too many NC games that they probably should have won, so whatever.

But I do notice that the B1G is 13-2-1 vs. the ECAC and yet if the top 16 went to the tournament today, 1 BIG team (OSU) would be in and 4 ECAC teams would be in. Does that strike anybody else as a pretty odd circumstance?
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        This isn't really a complaint as B1G teams lost too many NC games that they probably should have won, so whatever.

But I do notice that the B1G is 13-2-1 vs. the ECAC and yet if the top 16 went to the tournament today, 1 BIG team (OSU) would be in and 4 ECAC teams would be in. Does that strike anybody else as a pretty odd circumstance?
        Simple math.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Love the fact that Western and CC play early... with any help from the Tigers St. Cloud would claim full ownership of the NCHC title with a win in the first 65 minutes in Omaha tonight.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            Love the fact that Western and CC play early... with any help from the Tigers St. Cloud would claim full ownership of the NCHC title with a win in the first 65 minutes in Omaha tonight.
            So far so good...

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Only 4 of those wins came against ECAC tourney teams. Beating bad teams doesn’t do a lot for the Pairwise when combined with a good number of losses against everyone else.

Comment

Where's speed kills, btw. Did he get his various selves to a nunnery?

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Where's speed kills, btw. Did he get his various selves to a nunnery?
                  I'm sure he'll be back if an NCHC team doesn't win the title... Even if a B1G team doesn't as well.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                    I'm sure he'll be back if an NCHC team doesn't win the title... Even if a B1G team doesn't as well.
                    That’s how he rolls
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

I really like the mathematical pairwise rankings we get in college hockey vs subjective rankings, but have to admit the pairwise have been fairly frustrating the past two seasons. It seems fair to say last year the B1G was given a very heavy benefit somehow, and this year the inverse. It’s crazy to think last year despite a 10-5 record vs B1G, had Gophers edged out UMD it would have been six Big 10 teams vs two NCHC teams in the tournament. So B1G was deeply overrated last year at least in regards of B1G vs NCHC, but just crazy as it stands OSU is the only team that can make it in at large. Wild swings for sure. And B1G has dominated ECAC but will have much less representation in later March.
                      OP is eating crow somewhere

Comparing the “Big 10” to NCHC feels very reminiscent of comparing Pac 12 to SEC in football. When you watch on TV, the B1G/Pac look very strong with impressive and flashy offense. However, when it comes down to the nitty gritty at the end of the year, the post season success just isn’t there. Doesn’t look like Wisconsin is hurting for fans in the seats anything like Gophers are
                      I wanna go fast!

Comment

This year, and not saying they are better teams or not, but B1G is just beating up on each other in conference games. No one knows what to expect in a conference series. Kind of skews it a little. I'd say the top teams are NCHC, but from top to bottom, as a whole conference, I'd say B1G is better overall. I think our worst team could easily beat your worst team, for example. Your best team would probably beat our best team, on the flipside.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          This year, and not saying they are better teams or not, but B1G is just beating up on each other in conference games. No one knows what to expect in a conference series. Kind of skews it a little. I'd say the top teams are NCHC, but from top to bottom, as a whole conference, I'd say B1G is better overall. I think our worst team could easily beat your worst team, for example. Your best team would probably beat our best team, on the flipside.
                          Our worst team could beat your worst team is a weak argument and does not make the conference stronger. NCHC is better.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                            I really like the mathematical pairwise rankings we get in college hockey vs subjective rankings, but have to admit the pairwise have been fairly frustrating the past two seasons. It seems fair to say last year the B1G was given a very heavy benefit somehow, and this year the inverse. It’s crazy to think last year despite a 10-5 record vs B1G, had Gophers edged out UMD it would have been six Big 10 teams vs two NCHC teams in the tournament. So B1G was deeply overrated last year at least in regards of B1G vs NCHC, but just crazy as it stands OSU is the only team that can make it in at large. Wild swings for sure. And B1G has dominated ECAC but will have much less representation in later March.
                            OP is eating crow somewhere

Comparing the “Big 10” to NCHC feels very reminiscent of comparing Pac 12 to SEC in football. When you watch on TV, the B1G/Pac look very strong with impressive and flashy offense. However, when it comes down to the nitty gritty at the end of the year, the post season success just isn’t there. Doesn’t look like Wisconsin is hurting for fans in the seats anything like Gophers are
                            There it is, the dumbest thing I’ll read this week.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                              Our worst team could beat your worst team is a weak argument and does not make the conference stronger. NCHC is better.
                              It's far from a weak argument. You have to look at the skill level from top to bottom. The B1G is balanced, for the most part. The NCHC is not. The NCHC has the dominants, and the cellar dwellars. The B1G has I dunno who the eff is gonna win. The NCHC has the more elite teams, AND the worst teams. The B1G has the middle of the pack (or so) that are all in competition for dominance. So, from top to bottom, as a whole, I think the B1G is better as a conference.

NOW, please note this: this will not necessarily translate to national titles. I have said that the NCHC's best would beat the B1G's best, all thing being equal. But as a conference, as a whole, I'd put up the B1G against the NCHC anyday.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

National titles are a terrible way to evaluate a conference.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X