Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: SUNYAC Preview

Re: SUNYAC Preview

Quote Originally Posted by OZFEST View Post
    I always go back to insurance against as injury which is supplied by the university as a gap measure. Larger stipends? I dont know if that would work either. I think making these guys monetarily eligible is in the near future. I hate the "one and done" in college basketball. In other news Nike stock is down today.
    A lot of these star college athletes take out an insurance policy with Lloyds of London. The way it works is they don't pay until they sign their pro contract. Then, Lloyds gets a piece of the contract and the insurance policy is then ended. If they get hurt and can't sign a contract, Lloyds pays out on the insurance claim. The athletes don't have to pay upfront with money they don't have. Lloyds gets paid at the backend if a claim is not made. It's a win-win. Lloyds has obviously run the actuary numbers and found it to be a lucrative business.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    A lot of these star college athletes take out an insurance policy with Lloyds of London. The way it works is they don't pay until they sign their pro contract. Then, Lloyds gets a piece of the contract and the insurance policy is then ended. If they get hurt and can't sign a contract, Lloyds pays out on the insurance claim. The athletes don't have to pay upfront with money they don't have. Lloyds gets paid at the backend if a claim is not made. It's a win-win. Lloyds has obviously run the actuary numbers and found it to be a lucrative business.
    I think I read that in this case Duke paid $50,000 for the insurance that kicks in if Williamson is drafted lower than #16. I want to say I read it on SI.com, but I can't remember for sure.

Edit: Re-read: report of Duke providing the insurance came from Darren Rovell. I did read it in an SI.com article.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    I think I read that in this case Duke paid $50,000 for the insurance that kicks in if Williamson is drafted lower than #16. I want to say I read it on SI.com, but I can't remember for sure.

Edit: Re-read: report of Duke providing the insurance came from Darren Rovell. I did read it in an SI.com article.
    Interesting that the schools are allowed to do this.

I always go back to insurance against as injury which is supplied by the university as a gap measure. Larger stipends? I dont know if that would work either. I think making these guys monetarily eligible is in the near future. I hate the "one and done" in college basketball. In other news Nike stock is down today.
    Ironically, the NBA announced today that they're once again considering lowering the entry age from 19 to 18. The sticking point is having the complete medical/physical health history released. Currently some of the history can be not divulged prior to drafting. The insurance policy is $8M payable if he's drafted below #16.

Quote Originally Posted by elbojpb View Post
    Ironically, the NBA announced today that they're once again considering lowering the entry age from 19 to 18. The sticking point is having the complete medical/physical health history released. Currently some of the history can be not divulged prior to drafting. The insurance policy is $8M payable if he's drafted below #16.
    Yes, I remember that number too. I imagine if the school is paying the benefit is limited by the NCAA...
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Oswego State Great Laker

I've seen a lot of NBA players griping about this. Funny thing, is if the NBA Players' Association hadn't bargained it in, he would already be getting paid in the NBA...

I don't think Duke is completely helpless without him. They'll adjust to him being out, it was just not ready to do it on the fly against UNC.
    You are correct as witnessed by the Orange last night. Didnt see the game, spotted them 10, so wasn't close?

You are correct as witnessed by the Orange last night. Didnt see the game, spotted them 10, so wasn't close?
    Syracuse shot the lights out in the first half, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the second half. Live by the 3, die by the 3.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95

Colorado Cadets Fan

Syracuse shot the lights out in the first half, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the second half. Live by the 3, die by the 3.
    Warning squeak ball content
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
    Iím not saying youíre right; Iím not saying youíre wrong. Iím just interested to know which journalist allegedly ďbrokeĒ this story. I havenít seen that published anywhere.
    Boy this one has to hurt. You know more people would probably say good information here if they weren't subjected to demands from people like you when they did. I also think you'd probably learn something if you spent less time demanding sources from people who know more about certain things than you. Why you think this is your job I don't even know but as a journalist for our paper did it ever enter you head that I myself was the source? I guess not considering you are still limping five months behind despite the fact I told it right to your face. Unless you knew all along and did nothing with it which is about the biggest hack journalist move ever. You must be embarrassed. Anyway you are welcome to apologize at your convenience and I will graciously accept.

The poster making the claim doesn't appear to have any credibility or sources as of right now. Therefore there's no point in commenting. Emery is going to retire someday, so if he/she keeps saying it, eventually he/she'll be right. That secret would be hard to keep up here, so I'm not getting excited over "pux44"'s breaking "news".
    It wasn't a secret to many people though obviously you weren't one of them. Does it make you feel good to be completely wrong about everything? I look forward to your apology as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Given that the other two of the three legendary coaches from the area have retired it is a good guess that he will retire sooner rather than later, but without an official announcement, anything else is speculation
    It wasn't speculation but good guess as usual

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew

Boy....I am so glad you got that off your chest. It's got to feel good....

Quote Originally Posted by pux44 View Post
    It wasn't a secret to many people though obviously you weren't one of them. Does it make you feel good to be completely wrong about everything? I look forward to your apology as well.
    Waiting for an apology? Hold your breath....

BTW, does it feel good to be a complete a**hole about everything???
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95

Oswego State Great Laker

Oz eliminated, Coach Emery "retiring" has cast a pall on this Frozen Four for this fan...apologies to all things Genny. I will be rooting for the Ice Knights to bring the hardware home to NYS. You have special team this season, get it done.
    Last edited by OZFEST; 03-18-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Thread Information