• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Unpossible
    As you wish
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      That's your problem chief. Sounds like you have championship envy. Root for better teams I guess.
      Championship envy? Good God! When you can count to 27, wake me up.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        Here's an idea as to why the Red Sox won:

They were better.

I know, crazy.
        As a Yankees fan, I have to admit, that is true. The best team won this year.
        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          Horace Clarke applauds.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            Because I'm sure you remember all those titles in 20's, 30's and 40's?
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Because I'm sure you remember all those titles in 20's, 30's and 40's?
              I dont remember last years WS...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
                I dont remember last years WS...
                I take it you're not an Astros fan?
                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  Seems like the Dodgers lost in fitting fashion. All 5 Red Sox runs came off the long-ball, all 3 pinch hitters LA employed struck out, and 5 of the final 6 Dodger batters struck out swinging (the 6th also struck out, but looked at a called third strike) looking like each wanted to hit a 7-run home run.
                  It's not just a product of, but a complete embrace of the Three True Outcomes concept that seems to be taking deeper hold in MLB. The Dodgers happened to have a bunch of sluggers and rode it to the World Series these past two seasons, only to be neutralized by teams that figured out how to work around it (paint the corners, keep the hitters off balance with speed changes) and had the pitchers who could execute it (don't float that hanging spinball middle-middle).

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  I wonder what will happen with Machado. I'm sure he was hoping to ride 15 games worth of big bat highlights to a huge payday but instead hit just .227 and struck out 18 times. That's probably only going to get him 5 years and $125 milllion, not the 10 year, $350 million payday someone surely would have come up with had he won a few games for LA.
                  I can't wait for the Yankees to embrace the Evil Empire name again and sign him. He's going to be a lot of fun to root against for the next 5-7 years in pinstripes. I know he answers basically none of the Yankees needs (namely starting pitching), but if Gregorious is out as long as the rumors are suggesting, I could see them biting the bullet.
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

I will say that, from a Sox fan perspective, I thoroughly enjoyed this season. I had cut cable years ago, but had a feeling we had something pretty special brewing so I jumped in on YouTube TV in order to watch. Despite the cesspool that is Boston sportsball media, this team was the best in the game from wire to wire, and while "best evah!" discussions don't particularly interest me, 108 wins and a buzzsaw 11-3 through the playoffs (including dismantling two 100+ win teams) has to put them at least in the "best of the last few decades" discussions, doesn't it? Yeah, I know the '98 Yankees have a place at that table too, along with maybe those late '80's A's teams, but man, that was fun.

And with that, we're on to hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                      It's not just a product of, but a complete embrace of the Three True Outcomes concept that seems to be taking deeper hold in MLB. The Dodgers happened to have a bunch of sluggers and rode it to the World Series these past two seasons, only to be neutralized by teams that figured out how to work around it (paint the corners, keep the hitters off balance with speed changes) and had the pitchers who could execute it (don't float that hanging spinball middle-middle).
                      I know. Although I enjoyed the Yankees in the regular season, I did not enjoy the baseball overall (except Boston and Houston) in the playoffs. I was pining for the days of situational hitting, aggressive base running, hit and runs, even bunting. During certain pressure cooking situations with the Yankees, even if a top player came up to bat, all I could think was, "Gee, I would much rather see Boggs, Jeter, Bernie..." up there instead. Guys who could also hit, not just slug.

I can't wait for the Yankees to embrace the Evil Empire name again and sign him. He's going to be a lot of fun to root against for the next 5-7 years in pinstripes. I know he answers basically none of the Yankees needs (namely starting pitching), but if Gregorious is out as long as the rumors are suggesting, I could see them biting the bullet.
                      Yeah, I can see that happening, too, when logic says it shouldn't.

While on the topic, fans have to remember one key factor this year -- the Yankees purposely did not partake in spending this year. They were under the mandate, no matter what, to stay under the luxury tax limit in order to reset their "penalty" moving forward.

That will not be the case in 2019. Hal Steinbrenner will have no problems now spending what it takes to win again. So, though Houston was a great story in 2017 and Boston deservedly won the title this year, look out. The Evil Empire will be back in 2019...
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

I know what you mean about not enjoying it so much. I mean, I did as I had a strong rooting interest, but I absolutely see the complaints about pace of play and the absurd length of games due to that (notwithstanding the 7+ hour 18 inning marathon).

MLB positively needs to address the pace of play. The time spent on non-baseball activities (signs, time outs, mound visits, conferences, etc) is insane. Is sign stealing truly so intense that pitcher and catcher need to go through 3 rounds of signs between every pitch? That's excruciating to watch. It's 2018. Find some better way to communicate. The NFL has been using forms of radios for what, 20 years? Clean that up and we're already making enormous strides and the 7 pitching changes per playoff game won't seem so grueling.

Baseball is a slow game; that's one of my favorite things about it. But that doesn't mean we can't cut out the obvious BS.

Comment

I just got back from the Red Sox parade. A wonderful end to an amazing season. My office is a block from the parade route, so I just ran out at 11:20 and was back at my desk in less than an hour.

I've been a Red Sox fan my entire life. This is my dad's 50th season as a season ticket holder. He's had tickets with a group of guys he used to work with. I bought into the plan a few years ago so between the two of us, we get a decent amount of games to go to. As someone who lived through 1978, 1986 and 2003, I reserve the right to be skittish about the team's potential success. It's how I cope and get through games. It's also where my stupid #OppositeGirl mantra comes into play. I love this team and still go to games during bad years. And I don't gloat. Because I've been on the other end and that's not how to be a fan and support your team.

And I really kinda loathe the pink hats. At the parade, I was wedged up next to these two college age girls who were OMG!!! SO EXCITED to be there. Pedro Martinez was holding the 2004 trophy as his duck boat went by. Then another duck boat was coming up and I saw another trophy and lifted my phone to take a picture. One of the pink hats was like "what are you taking a picture of?" I said "The trophy!!" And she says "So the other ones that went by, are they, like, fake ones?" ::head desk:: "No. Pedro Martinez was holding the 2004 one, which he won." Get out of the way and let this parade be for fans. Jeez.

Anyway, this was truly an epic season. I kept waiting for that other shoe to drop and it never did. I know I should be more positive. I want to be. But when I do, bad things tend to happen. I am so happy that they won, for me, for my brothers, for my niece and most especially for my dad. He's been a fan since he was 6 years old. When they won in 2004, he had just come off of some minor surgery. He wasn't dealing with it all that well so he really didn't get too involved in all of it. That Christmas I bought the DVD that was this amazing recap of the season. We watched it that day and the smile on his face...he was like a little kid. Rooting for the Red Sox has been a bonding thing with me and him. And my niece and my brother. I don't know what my life would be without it.

Comment

Kershaw: 3 year, $93 million extension
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Just saw Harper to the Yankees, unofficial, but Twitter chatter from Aaron Judge.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

HOF Today's Era ballot nominees:

Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Joe Carter, Will Clark, Orel Hershiser, Davey Johnson, Charlie Manuel, Lou Piniella, Lee Smith and George Steinbrenner
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X