Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    The fact that Mariano is the first unanimous election isn't sitting right with me... Not trying to imply that he doesn't deserve to be there. He absolutely does. I just don't see him in that 1% elite that should be unquestioned elections...
    I'm glad it's not just me. He was a great pitcher and all, but to be the first unanimous selection? Too many greats have come and gone that I feel would be more deserving.
    Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Can't really argue with any of these choices. That sucks.
      Bonds not being in is absofrickinglutely criminal. Baseball cheered him on, made him their poster child and 100% had to know he was juicing. They wanted him just as he was and NEVER did you hear anyone make PEDs an issue when he was at his peak.

Comment

Lets not forget that its the previous voters fault there was never a unanimous selection. Its not current voters or Moe's fault.

We can't go back and make the other greats unanimous.

Idiot voters who pretended they knew whats best.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
          I'm glad it's not just me. He was a great pitcher and all, but to be the first unanimous selection? Too many greats have come and gone that I feel would be more deserving.
          That's exactly it. I know this is a product of baseball just being run by an old, grumpy generation, but still... I can name 15-20 pitchers who would be deemed "better" than Mariano by most, but weren't given the honor of a unanimous vote. Nolan Ryan he ain't
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            That's exactly it. I know this is a product of baseball just being run by an old, grumpy generation, but still... I can name 15-20 pitchers who would be deemed "better" than Mariano by most, but weren't given the honor of a unanimous vote. Nolan Ryan he ain't
            It's not about better... It's about moron voters who could never vote in someone unanimously because so and so wasn't... There needed to be a 1st to finally end that stupidity. Rivera is the best closer of his generation and maybe ever... So he IMO is absolutely deserving of being the 1st to finally end the moronic voter behavior.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

I guess I’m too happy about Edgar to really care about Rivera...
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The unanimous argument is silly. For it to not be unanimous means at least one person has to think Moe doesn’t deserve to be there. If you think that you don’t deserve to be a voter. He is simply the best ever at his position.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Edgar winning is great. Mariano deserves the honor but being the first uni is a joke -- there are at least 25 guys who deserve that honor over him. The others: ho hum, who cares?, the Hall of Very Good.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    The unanimous argument is silly. For it to not be unanimous means at least one person has to think Moe doesn’t deserve to be there. If you think that you don’t deserve to be a voter. He is simply the best ever at his position.
                    c.f. Ruth, Babe
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Edgar winning is great.
                      It's been fun reading the reactions in Seattle.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

So excited that Edgar got the call. Brewers are my team, but the 90's Mariners were my favorite.

I'm disappointed that Griffey or Chipper wasn't the first unanimous, but it was bound to happen (much sooner like it did than later). There has been a push to remove the crotchety old guard who were the ones keeping up this "tradition."
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

schilling > mussina

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                          I just don't see him in that 1% elite that should be unquestioned elections.....
                          well as Dalton always says, "opinions vary"

but mo was something special.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                            Bonds not being in is absofrickinglutely criminal. Baseball cheered him on, made him their poster child and 100% had to know he was juicing. They wanted him just as he was and NEVER did you hear anyone make PEDs an issue when he was at his peak.
                            funny when one considers nobody brings up brady and his ped-induced improvement the last 5 odd years. dude couldn't throw 20yds downfiled, then all of a sudden, magic avocado ice cream!!!
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              c.f. Ruth, Babe
                              I don't think Babe Ruth was the best ever at his position, and I'm not sure I've heard anyone else ever argue that. Larger than life personality? Sure. Greatest home run hitter of his generation? Sure.

The same holds true for Griffey, who someone else mentioned. Would I put Griffey, Jr. in the HOF? Absolutely. Can I see a voter somewhere arguing that he rarely if ever got his team to the post-season and when he did, he had mixed results? Sure. Do I think Ken Griffey, Jr. was the greatest to ever play at his position? No.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Edgar Martinez hit .579 vs Mariano. I think they said his overall BA vs the 3 HOF pitchers was.375.
                                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                                X