Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
Results 321 to 335 of 335

Thread: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

  1. #321
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    He's probably underpaid.

    VERY nice to see he won't be in pinstripes, though.
    Either underpaid or Harper and Machado are overpaid.

  2. #322
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,628

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    That is one of the products of the "stat" era... The guy who hits 50HR, 95 RBI but strikes out 150+ times is more valuable than a .325 hitter with 5 HR, 85 RBI and 20 K's....
    I get what you're trying to say and likely used extreme numbers for effect, but a 17:1 ratio of RBI to HR would be unheard of. In 2018 the highest RBI to HR ratio for hitters with 85+RBI was 6.53 (Yuli Gurriel). Incidentally that player had an excellent AB to SO (6.53) ratio but only a WAR of 2.2. Manny Machado's AB/SO by comparison was much worse (2.89) but better SLG, OBP, OPS and a WAR of 5.7.

  3. #323

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    62,095

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    The sabermetricians did demonstrate convincingly that power hitting contributes more runs and thus more value than small ball, and to that extent they made the game boring. But they are also always falling all over themselves to note that productive outs are monumentally better than strike outs for run production. Those ludicrous 180+ K numbers rolled up by today's Killebrews are very much frowned upon by the sabers.

    For all the hate and fear directed towards it by the Innumerate and the Olds, saber really only overturned one piece of CW lore: the sacrifice. And in that case the evidence was just too big to ignore. If you are not a pitcher and you bunt you are an idiot.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-20-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  4. #324

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    36,532

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Ahhh minor league baseball promotions. Hope it doesn't get snowed out.

    https://nesn.com/2019/03/pawsox-to-h...ez-engagement/

  5. #325
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    15,761

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The sabermetricians did demonstrate convincingly that power hitting contributes more runs and thus more value than small ball, and to that extent they made the game boring. But they are also always falling all over themselves to note that productive outs are monumentally better than strike outs for run production. Those ludicrous 180+ K numbers rolled up by today's Killebrews are very much frowned upon by the sabers.

    For all the hate and fear directed towards it by the Innumerate and the Olds, saber really only overturned one piece of CW lore: the sacrifice. And in that case the evidence was just too big to ignore. If you are not a pitcher and you bunt you are an idiot.
    Seems like the standards change on a whim Kep. Back in the day when fantasy league people were touting JD Drew as one of the best players in the league it was all about working the walk and on base %. Now its swing for the fences or K and that's all good.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  6. #326
    2147483647
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    23,438

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Mariners have a secured a playoff spot if the season ended today.

  7. #327
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,589
    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Mariners have a secured a playoff spot if the season ended today.
    Two of those words donít belong in the same sentence...

  8. #328
    2147483647
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    23,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Two of those words donít belong in the same sentence...
    Probably should be:

    Mariners season ended today.

  9. #329
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,589
    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Probably should be:

    Mariners season ended today.
    Well thatís not accurate, theyíre a game up on Texas and the Angels!


  10. #330

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    36,532

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Too late?? Kep??

    @Mets: 🚨 Just Announced 🚨

    @CitiField is getting a permanent address change! We will be officially renaming 126th Street to honor #TomSeaver. More info to come at a later date. #Mets https://twitter.com/Mets/status/1108...209219/photo/1

  11. #331

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    62,095

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Seems like the standards change on a whim Kep. Back in the day when fantasy league people were touting JD Drew as one of the best players in the league it was all about working the walk and on base %. Now its swing for the fences or K and that's all good.
    The problem with sabermetrics is no matter how smart the people who do the actual theory and analysis are it still gets passed in the end to the baseball execs and the broadcasters who are either ex-jocks, hairdos, or businessmen. A dog is still only going to use a Rembrandt to pee on. It's all they are equipped to do. That's no reflection on the Rembrandt.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  12. #332

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    62,095

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Too late?? Kep??

    @Mets: �� Just Announced ��

    @CitiField is getting a permanent address change! We will be officially renaming 126th Street to honor #TomSeaver. More info to come at a later date. #Mets https://twitter.com/Mets/status/1108...209219/photo/1
    Never too late. I'm cool with it.

    Now they should just name the toilets after Dick Young.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  13. #333
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,497

    Re: MLB 2018.2: Postseason, Free Agency, and Awards

    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Probably should be:

    Mariners season ended today.
    Certainly reached its high point.

    Ichiro says goodbye.




    Can't even imagine what was doing through Kikuchi's head at the moment. Clearly he's emotional, but it's as close as you can get to a real life Field of Dreams moment.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  14. #334

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    36,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Never too late. I'm cool with it.

    Now they should just name the toilets after Dick Young.
    His daughter and I were in the same 8th grade class. That puts her at 63/64.

  15. #335
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Certainly reached its high point.

    Ichiro says goodbye.




    Can't even imagine what was doing through Kikuchi's head at the moment. Clearly he's emotional, but it's as close as you can get to a real life Field of Dreams moment.
    Thank you, Ichiro.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. MissThundercat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •