Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of letters

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I only know that I was trying figure out a way to use "mush for brains" in a post...
    And so you thought of me? I can't say you were wrong!

I wish that the action over the next couple of weekends was a bit more spread out. Princeton at Cornell starts a couple of hours before the WCHA tourney, but with the weather forecast, I'll likely be on the road for most of it and there won't be opportunity to watch the games outside of Minneapolis. The NCAA quarters wind up pretty much the same way. You wait all season for these games, and then they're gone in a blink.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    And so you thought of me?
    You're implying that I think. I try but....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlejsgxOxrU

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    you were wrong!
    I so often am...

I probably should thank you for not saying you would love to "meet" me at the rink.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 03-08-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    I could give up pizza but I don't want to be considered a quitter.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I only know that I was trying figure out a way to use "mush for brains" in a post...
    I'm still trying to figure out what "context" means in regard to any of the posts.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Quote Originally Posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what "context" means in regard to any of the posts.
    It's a rabbit hole you should avoid...
    I could give up pizza but I don't want to be considered a quitter.

I'm at the BC game so I can't really run the numbers but I think Princeton losing means BC should be in as long as UM or UW wins WCHA, yes?

Nevermind -- I also see us out if both Colgate & BU win

For the ECAC Teams To get into the NC$$
    Clarkson in no matter what happens
    Cornell is in unless BC Beats BU, they lose the ECAC Title to Colgate and Ohio State wins the WCHA
    Colgate - Win the ECAC
    Princeton - BC Beats BU, Clarkson or Cornell win the ECAC and Wisco or Minny win the WCHA

If Colgate beats Cornell for the ECAC Crown and Northeastern beats BC for the HE Crown and Wisco or Minny win the WCHA

3 Northeastern
    4 Clarkson
    5 BC
    6 Cornell

So will the committee send Cornell to Northeastern and BC to Clarkson or will they save on bus travel/hotels and have Clarkson - Cornell and BC - Northeastern as the games?

If Ohio State wins the WCHA then we have Cornell out of the NC$$

3 Northeastern
    4 Clarkson
    5 BC
    6 Ohio State

Will the committee save on bus fare and send Ohio State to Potsdam and have BC - Northeastern replay
    Last edited by vicb; 03-09-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    And of 2 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray and Loren Gabel
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Tomorrows results appear to be shuffling of the 1,2 and 4, 5 and 6 seeds.

The winner of Wisco vs Minny gets the 1 seed and the loser 2.
    Northeastern 3
    BC and Cornell win then its
    3 Northeastern
    4 BC
    5 Cornell
    6 Clarkson
    BC and Clarkson win or Northeastern and Clarkson win
    3 Northeastern
    4 Clarkson
    5 BC
    6 Cornell
    Northeastern and Cornell win
    3 Northeastern
    4 Cornell
    5 Clarkson
    6 BC

7 Princeton locked into 7
    8 Syracuse locked into 8
    Last edited by vicb; 03-09-2019 at 08:02 PM.
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Tomorrows results appear to be shuffling of the 1,2 and 4, 5 and 6 seeds.

The winner of Wisco vs Minny gets the 1 seed and the loser 2.
    Northeastern 3
    BC and Cornell win then its
    3 Northeastern
    4 BC
    5 Cornell
    6 Clarkson
    BC and Clarkson win or Northeastern and Clarkson win
    3 Northeastern
    4 Clarkson
    5 BC
    6 Cornell
    Northeastern and Cornell win
    3 Northeastern
    4 Cornell
    5 Clarkson
    6 BC

7 Princeton locked into 7
    8 Syracuse locked into 8
    Which means Princeton and Syracuse fly to the Midwest, and the committee, if they are thinking at all, make 2 ECAC v HEA games.

Loser of Corn/Clark at Northeastern
    Winner of Corn/Clark vs BC. BC at home only if they win.

That's too simple, though, so they will mess it up somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    Which means Princeton and Syracuse fly to the Midwest, and the committee, if they are thinking at all, make 2 ECAC v HEA games.
    FWIW: Wisconsin played both Syracuse and Princeton in Madison this season. Syracuse in December, 6-1 and 9-1 wins; Princeton in October, a 4-3 win (that was that close) and a 3-0 win (that was 1-0 well into the 3rd period).

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    FWIW: Wisconsin played both Syracuse and Princeton in Madison this season. Syracuse in December, 6-1 and 9-1 wins; Princeton in October, a 4-3 win (that was that close) and a 3-0 win (that was 1-0 well into the 3rd period).
    Those Princeton games were nail biters. That is quite the quality 7 seed there.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post

Syracuse gets the winner of Minny/Wisco and Princeton gets the loser.

You do not want Northeastern and Cornell to win.
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Final bracketology: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...nsin-minnesota

Trying to look at this from an unbiased perspective because I really don't want to go to Clarkson. And I really truly hate when they have a directive and they just disregard their directive. But if they were ever going to justify swapping teams for a cheaper bracket, it would be now. Cornell and BC are even tied in the Pairwise, so they could pretty much justify it however they want.

My heart wants us to go to NU but I truly hate the opacity with which this process takes place.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Final bracketology: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...nsin-minnesota

Trying to look at this from an unbiased perspective because I really don't want to go to Clarkson. And I really truly hate when they have a directive and they just disregard their directive. But if they were ever going to justify swapping teams for a cheaper bracket, it would be now. Cornell and BC are even tied in the Pairwise, so they could pretty much justify it however they want.

My heart wants us to go to NU but I truly hate the opacity with which this process takes place.
    I cannot believe the length of bus trips is even in discussion.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I cannot believe the length of bus trips is even in discussion.
    You're telling me... I don't even think we'd be having this discussion if 2016 didn't happen.

Now that we've got the NCAA tournament field, I thought it would be interesting to see if either quality win games (Top 12 for PairWise, so I did likewise) or the remaining schedule had a bigger impact on whether a team finds themselves in the tournament or not. The hosting teams largely distinguished themselves in both categories, while it seems that winning roughly 85% of the games against "unranked" teams seemed to be the ticket to being on the right side of the bubble for the remaining teams.

While not a new conclusion for any sports fan, it's interesting to see the numbers show that those midseason games against Maine or Bemidji for example can be just as important as the conference tournament games to a team on the edge of making the national tournament.

PairWise Team Overall vs Top 12 vs Other
    1 Wisconsin 32-4-2 (0.8684) 11-3-2 (0.75) 21-1-0 (0.9545)
    2 Minnesota 30-5-1 (0.8472) 9-5-1 (0.6333) 21-0-0 (1)
    3 Northeastern 27-5-5 (0.7972) 9-4-3 (0.6562) 18-1-2 (0.9047)
    4 Clarkson 29-7-2 (0.7894) 7-4-1 (0.625) 22-3-1 (0.8653)
    5 Boston College 26-11-1 (0.6973) 6-8-0 (0.4285) 20-3-1 (0.8541)
    6 Cornell 23-5-6 (0.7647) 4-3-1 (0.5625) 19-2-5 (0.8269)
    7 Princeton 20-7-5 (0.7031) 2-5-2 (0.3333) 18-2-3 (0.8478)
    8 Providence 24-11-2 (0.6756) 3-7-0 (0.3) 21-4-2 (0.8148)
    9 Boston University 21-8-8 (0.6756) 4-5-2 (0.4545) 17-3-6 (0.7692)
    10 Ohio State 20-13-2 (0.6) 5-8-2 (0.4) 15-5-0 (0.75)
    11 Colgate 23-10-5 (0.6710) 4-6-1 (0.4090) 19-4-4 (0.7777)
    12 Minnesota Duluth 15-16-4 (0.4857) 6-11-1 (0.3611) 9-5-3 (0.6176)
    2005 Piston Cup Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Yes! Nicole Haase did some harassing to the powers that be to finally get them to correct their numbers -- they even have the eligible teams right!
    I'm not sure if this changed at the same time as the PairWise, but USCHO's KRACH ratings are doing something different with the NEWHA teams too. Somehow they still get a rating, but are ranked 36-40. Comparing Grant's calculator ratings to the USCHO results in some strange changes in the rankings (Mankato +3, Maine -4, St. Cloud +4, for example).

After a little research, I see that Maine played Sacred Heart twice (2 8-0 victories, haha), so that explains their drop, but that doesn't directly explain the jump for Mankato and St. Cloud, or Ohio State's ascension to #5. Maybe Maine dropping for scheduling a NEWHA school made Maine comparatively worse, dropping all of the Hockey East schools down? I'm not going to spend much more time on it, but I'm curious if any number crunchers here have any thoughts on what USCHO is doing with the NEWHA schools / how it affects everybody else's rankings?
    2005 Piston Cup Champion

Thread Information