Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19

Re: SLU Skating Saints Hockey '18-'19

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Someone mentioned somewhere that Barr at UMass makes ~$140,000. I guess that info is available as it is a public school. Sorry I don't recall where I saw it
    No issue.. I like the info you find. Be tough to attract someone for a $60K raise that is at a successful D1 program, to a HC at a rebuilding stage. I still don't think its a money issue as to why SLU is not attracting "top" applications for the HC opening. (I would also assume ..key word.. barr and staff at UMASS will get healthy bonus and bumps soon)

Hoping to hear soon of rumors of people on campus next week, after being spoken to in Florida this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I would guess Wisconsin would be near the top of the range in salaries to staff. FWIW, in 2018, Tony Granato made $538k, Mark Osiecki made $260k, and Mark Strobel made $192k.
    Holy cow, that's insane. Morris was a total disaster, but even with only 14 wins over the last two seasons, he was way cheaper per win than Granato!
    Canton High School '76
    SLU '81
    KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
    SLU fan '63-infinity

Quote Originally Posted by SluStatsMan View Post
    Holy cow, that's insane. Morris was a total disaster, but even with only 14 wins over the last two seasons, he was way cheaper per win than Granato!
    Power 5 school with B1G TV money. Amazing what a lot of cash can do.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    coaches convention is in early May. By Mothers Day

tick tick tick....where is our coach?

I miss Tie Domi
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatcard View Post
    tick tick tick....where is our coach?
    Coaches convention was May 1-4. If they in fact held interviews there , then you might have some news soon. ...or not. 😝

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Coaches convention was May 1-4. If they in fact held interviews there , then you might have some news soon. ...or not. 😝
    I would guess, students leave campus soon. So be nice for new coach to meet his team while they are still in the 13617!

I would guess, students leave campus soon. So be nice for new coach to meet his team while they are still in the 13617!
    You may have a standoff here between the administration wanting to run all the sports offerings the same and the need for D1 exceptions.

You may have a standoff here between the administration wanting to run all the sports offerings the same and the need for D1 exceptions.
    ? Please explain what you mean. Thanking you in advance.

? Please explain what you mean. Thanking you in advance.
    You have a whole bunch of D3 sports (including football) and 2 D1 teams. D3, even at the NCAA level, operate with a different philosophy than D1.

If you try to run hockey with the same philosophy as squash, you'll be squished.

You have a whole bunch of D3 sports (including football) and 2 D1 teams. D3, even at the NCAA level, operate with a different philosophy than D1.

If you try to run hockey with the same philosophy as squash, you'll be squished.
    Thank you! Its sad but I agree with you. What I find odd is on RT 11 the two Head Coaching jobs are the biggest jobs at each University outside the President. Why not hire a search firm that are experts, not a person who has many other things on the plate and this search is one slice of the pie. Think of the Time, Money, and Embarrassment it would save the University.

Nothing like for the team to meet the new coach in August when they return for fall term for the first time face to face.

Now for a sore subject to many Saints fans.

Appleton

It's beautiful and quaint. But is it up to modern D1 standards? In the early 90s we were losing recruiting battles to schools with nicer facilities than Walker.

I love Walker. I spent many a freezing night cheering for Tech. But it is/was no longer a modern D1 rink.

Cheel is, even before the upgrades.

It's too late for SLU, but even Fenway Park will eventually face the wreckers ball.

Capt
    Now for a sore subject to many Saints fans.

Appleton

It's beautiful and quaint. But is it up to modern D1 standards? In the early 90s we were losing recruiting battles to schools with nicer facilities than Walker.

I love Walker. I spent many a freezing night cheering for Tech. But it is/was no longer a modern D1 rink.

Cheel is, even before the upgrades.

It's too late for SLU, but even Fenway Park will eventually face the wreckers ball.
    Carvel was winning those recruit battles. The facility is only a single factor.

With the revamp underway, there is even less of a snowballs chance in Florida that a new rink is on the radar. Until these renovations are completed, and a new coach in place, and a few years to let things play out, it's impossible to say if it will be a stumbling block or if it will polish the gem.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Carvel was winning those recruit battles. The facility is only a single factor.

With the revamp underway, there is even less of a snowballs chance in Florida that a new rink is on the radar. Until these renovations are completed, and a new coach in place, and a few years to let things play out, it's impossible to say if it will be a stumbling block or if it will polish the gem.
    A stand alone for D1 players only Work out room? Training room? Shooting Room? Cafeteria? A full time Strength Coach? Nutritionist? a part time sports psychologist? goalie coach? That is what the kids are looking for. I bet SLU has none or none in the works. Hopefully I'm wrong. But that is what most D1 teams have. Even Tech has most (No cafeteria or Nutritionist Yet) These recruits are coming from Junior teams that have a majority of this, so going to Canton is almost a step back in time.

...so going to Canton is almost a step back in time.
    And there's nothing wrong with that! Canton and Potsdam have a charm not found in major metropolitan areas. I'd send my grandkids to either town

And there's nothing wrong with that! Canton and Potsdam have a charm not found in major metropolitan areas. I'd send my grandkids to either town
    Pretty sure wildcatcard is referring to the athletic facilities, budget, overall athletic infrastructure, etc at the school. Though for some potential coaches with a young family (Canton public schools - not great), or coming from a more urban or suburban area - moving to Canton is a factor, and not always in the "pro" column.....

I was speaking of the Athletic Complex only and what the School offers. Nothing to do with Canton "proper"

Why not hire a search firm that are experts, not a person who has many other things on the plate and this search is one slice of the pie.
    They have ... the name of the firm is S & S Co. Inc.!
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
    They have ... the name of the firm is S & S Co. Inc.!
    REally, my bad have never seen anything that they have one. Thats great news. by chance you have a website of the firm? quick google search didn't come up with much. Thanks for the info.

Banned

REally, my bad have never seen anything that they have one. Thats great news. by chance you have a website of the firm? quick google search didn't come up with much. Thanks for the info.
    I'm fairly sure this a joke. Surprised he didn't make it more obvious with "Parker Executive Search", who now has "experience" because they found RPI's coach, which was their first venture into hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I'm fairly sure this a joke.
    Why don't you stick with the rebuilding of your hockey program at RPI ... you have no clue. But here's a clue to the SLU that matter ... the S & S refer to their most prominent alumni currently involved in pro hockey. They are leading the search.
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

Thread Information