Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

Road-tripped to Oswego last night. Fitz and Rutkowski ended up playing so they must have successfully appealed their DQs.
    Oswego pretty much controlled the play after the first period and UC was fortunate to come away with a tie.
    Landrigan had a golden opportunity late off a rebound with a wide open net from about a 45 degree angle but put it into the side of the net.

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
      Road-tripped to Oswego last night. Fitz and Rutkowski ended up playing so they must have successfully appealed their DQs.
      Oswego pretty much controlled the play after the first period and UC was fortunate to come away with a tie.
      Landrigan had a golden opportunity late off a rebound with a wide open net from about a 45 degree angle but put it into the side of the net.
      Wasn't confident enough to opine before this, but I believe that game-DQ's only carry-over if the DQ was called for "fighting".

UC was short handed for big segments of the 2nd, but otherwise played well enough to win. They certainly skated with Oswego, and maybe even better for stretches.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
        Wasn't confident enough to opine before this, but I believe that game-DQ's only carry-over if the DQ was called for "fighting".

UC was short handed for big segments of the 2nd, but otherwise played well enough to win. They certainly skated with Oswego, and maybe even better for stretches.
        . Game misconduct not = disqualification.
        Go 'Wick!

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
          . Game misconduct not = disqualification.
          Agreed-- I'm obviously mistaken so I just looked back at the box score. I had thought Fitzpatrick got tossed with more than 15 minutes left which would have meant a DQ but there was only 12:55. Also, I thought Rutkowski got DQ'd along with Skidmore's Muzyka but it was only Muzyka that actually got a DQ. My bad...

Comment

I can't figure this team out. Lose to 1-12 NU yesterday, then wallop a respectable M'ville team in their curious barn today.

I have to wonder about who was scratched for last night's game..? And why?

Comment

Nice effort v. Naz. UC kept the puck in their O-zone for the great bulk of the game. Looking at Cortland's results, they appear to be a tough out, having defeated UMB and having played some good teams close.

Noticed Derlago is still on the roster, but he hasn't dressed recently. Injury..?

Comment

Likely nobody from Cortland (or maybe from anywhere) looks at this thread, but Dragon goalie Modica was All-Universe last night. Possibly the best performance in net that I've ever seen in D-3. 44 saves, nearly half of which were Grade A's. He kept Cortland right in the game all night against a relentless Utica onslaught.

Comment

Likely nobody from Cortland (or maybe from anywhere) looks at this thread, but Dragon goalie Modica was All-Universe last night. Possibly the best performance in net that I've ever seen in D-3. 44 saves, nearly half of which were Grade A's. He kept Cortland right in the game all night against a relentless Utica onslaught.
                  Fishman, I have a friend who's a fan of the Cortland team, and he speaks very highly of Modica.

Comment

small netminder with good angles plays position well,I would imagine he sees many 40+ several times a season or month for that matter.

Comment

Modica was MVP of last month's Codfish Bowl beating (current #7) UMass-Boston for the title. He made 92 saves on 94 shots in their two tourney games. His season save % is about 1% below that of Baggetta.
                      Last edited by jcase; 01-28-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

What's the story on this team, beat teams badly then lose to weak teams ?? Pretenders or contenders ??
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                          What's the story on this team, beat teams badly then lose to weak teams ?? Pretenders or contenders ??
                          IMO they are getting solid play front to back and have shown they can hang with anybody (see vs ranked AdrianX2, UWSP and Oswego). Defense is particularly strong allowing under 2G/gm. Extremely strong at home and appear to struggle on the road but in reality the @LVC 6-1 loss was an anomaly outshooting them 43-18. The other two "bad" losses (@Naz & @Neumann) happened in the final minute of each game with Dickson in net, not Baggetta. So 12-6-1 is deceiving and not as bad as it seems and they have the ability to contend.

Comment

I agree with jcase. (And, had the Endicott games counted, we'd be singer a much happier tune right now, but...)

The parity in college hockey now is unlike anything we're used to seeing. There are dozens of teams that could knock off a, say, UWSP on a given night and UC is one of them. On the flip-side, 1-12 Neumann can and did defeat Utica. The UCHC isn't stocked with top-shelf teams, but only King's is a gimme.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-29-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks, so, do you think the NCAA autobid comes down to UC vs Wilkes winner last game of season ? Who can challenge UC for first ?
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Thanks, so, do you think the NCAA autobid comes down to UC vs Wilkes winner last game of season ? Who can challenge UC for first ?
                                Wilkes and Elmira are both a point ahead of UC, but UC has a game in hand on both, and faces both again. Utica is guaranteed the top seed if they win out.

Comment

Working...
                                X