Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    The EHL and USPHL-P are certainly respectable leagues, but most people would say that the NAHL, NCDC and CJHL teams feature superior hockey. That having been said, everyone is entitled to an adjustment period, so we shall see how those 3 (and others) adjust.

As for Endicott, on paper they appear to be a strong team. I'm not sure what Utica can take away from two exhibition wins over them, since there are so many moving pieces in exhibitions (back-up goalies getting game time; inclusive rosters; juggling line combinations; etal.). Still, my husband and son will be at the Adrian game this evening, so I'll look forward to receiving a game report from them.
    I don't profess to understand how Junior hockey works, by any means, and I'm not sure how much stock I put in the JHN. It's all a bit arcane to me. I suppose my first question to you would be: how do guys end-up where they do? Is it more a question of leagues recruiting them, or them recruiting the leagues? Your insight is appreciated.

And, I hear you regarding the Endicott weekend; it's hard to figure-out what exactly to take away from it. Having said that, the Gulls' roster looked pretty stacked, and I choose to err to the side of optimism right now. UC appears to lack star-power to a degree, but not depth. I didn't groan at the D more than a couple of times, and I have confidence in Baggetta. Very solid performance overall IMO.

This weekend is huge in terms of AL prospects for Utica. Keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that The Aud's staff has the iconic "Rocky" audio cued-up and ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      I don't profess to understand how Junior hockey works, by any means, and I'm not sure how much stock I put in the JHN. It's all a bit arcane to me. I suppose my first question to you would be: how do guys end-up where they do? Is it more a question of leagues recruiting them, or them recruiting the leagues? Your insight is appreciated.
      Most junior leagues hold drafts to stock their recruiting pipeline, and some have the use of tenders (process wherein a player signifies his intentions to play for a specific team, so that his rights are held by that team). And then there are open tryouts and invite-only camps. So juniors coaching staffs are always scouting for talent, similar to NCAA coaches. In addition, many players have family advisors who have relationships with juniors coaches and are able to get their clients placed on specific juniors teams. Obviously, it's in a player's best interest to go to a juniors team where he's wanted (I call it "coach love") and not somewhere that's a stretch for his abilities. This increases the likelihood that he plays a lot/in crucial situations (PP and PK) thus attracting optimal and appropriate college notice. Juniors and college recruiting is quite the process, and you have to trust that the process works.

It sounds like Utica played Adrian close but ultimately lost 3-1 w/ ENG.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
        Most junior leagues hold drafts to stock their recruiting pipeline, and some have the use of tenders (process wherein a player signifies his intentions to play for a specific team, so that his rights are held by that team). And then there are open tryouts and invite-only camps. So juniors coaching staffs are always scouting for talent, similar to NCAA coaches. In addition, many players have family advisors who have relationships with juniors coaches and are able to get their clients placed on specific juniors teams. Obviously, it's in a player's best interest to go to a juniors team where he's wanted (I call it "coach love") and not somewhere that's a stretch for his abilities. This increases the likelihood that he plays a lot/in crucial situations (PP and PK) thus attracting optimal and appropriate college notice. Juniors and college recruiting is quite the process, and you have to trust that the process works.

It sounds like Utica played Adrian close but ultimately lost 3-1 w/ ENG.
        Good stuff, thank you.

Adrian skated rings around UC in the 1st. I think the SOG were 15-1. It was somewhat amazing that Utica got out unscathed, but Baggetta stood on his head... I've missed maybe 3 home games in the entire history of UC hockey, and that period was as lopsided as any I've ever seen, vis-as-vis the visitors' domination.

Things changed after the 1st intermission, and Utica made a game of it. Missed 3 open nets in the 3rd, which would have changed the lead, but whatever. Adrian has feet and hands, and UC has some work to do to be on the same page.

Comment

Yes, UC was swept by a fast Adrian team, but Utica certainly won the 2nd and the 3rd last night, and should have split this weekend if there was any justice in this world.

Truly, I was impressed by Adrian's depth and talent. No disrespect intended. But Utica seemed to get up to speed at some point, and to recognize that the Endicott weekend was a mirage.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-28-2018, 09:54 PM.

Comment

How did Entelisano look, did he play ?
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
              I *think* he got a couple of shifts this past weekend, but I wouldn't swear to it.

My biggest concern at present is depth in goal. Both Virtanen and Baggetta were sidelined with groin pulls, which can take forever to heal. Dickson looked fine, but UC apparently had to add a walk-on to back him up.

M'ville tonight in a rare mid-week game. Let's see how Utica bounces back from a disappointing weekend.

Comment

PS: Shabby, I learned tonight that Ethan Siderlne was the guy added to the active roster as the emergency goalie. He's a 2018 RFA graduate.

Comment

Thanks fish !

Comment

Thanks fish !
                    (Entelisano scored tonight. It went off his skate, but he was where he needed to be.)

This team is gelling. They are so young, but learning to play together. I won't be surprised if Utica makes some waves down the road.
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-03-2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I heard last night that G Patrik Virtanen has left school and signed a pro contract in Europe. He was missing from last night's game program and is gone from UC's online roster. Barring any mid-season transfer-ins, we'll be riding with Baggetta and Dickson between the pipes this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
                        I heard last night that G Patrik Virtanen has left school and signed a pro contract in Europe. He was missing from last night's game program and is gone from UC's online roster. Barring any mid-season transfer-ins, we'll be riding with Baggetta and Dickson between the pipes this year.
                        Good luck to Patrik. He played exceptional hockey here, but I think UC will be fine. Dickson has looked very sharp and I've always been a fan of Baggs. (Re: the latter, I didn't see his dad to ask how he's healing... Anyone know when he's expected back?)

On a side-note, Freshmen have scored 9 of UC's 16 goals this season. Encouraging.

Comment

Another roller coaster season I guess, disappointed.

Comment

I just think it’s going to be really tough in today’s D3 landscape for ANY men’s team to be “dominant” anymore.

There are legitimately 40 good teams now which means there are very few nights off where you can coast and still get the W.

Every league is competitive with 4 or more different teams that have a shot to win the league championship.

It’s awesome as a lifelong fan of D3 to see this kind of parity.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                              I just think it’s going to be really tough in today’s D3 landscape for ANY men’s team to be “dominant” anymore.

There are legitimately 40 good teams now which means there are very few nights off where you can coast and still get the W.

Every league is competitive with 4 or more different teams that have a shot to win the league championship.

It’s awesome as a lifelong fan of D3 to see this kind of parity.
                              I agree. Parity reigns in all of college hockey lately. There is a lot of talent to go around; it ain't like the old days, when a handful of programs gleaned the best players year after year.

Having said that- and having watched last night's game as best I could what with the constantly buffered feed- I think UC will win a lot of games this year, and be right in the mix for the UCHC AQ.

Naz's goalie pitched a .931 save % last night... You're going to lose a few games like that. (Too bad the weekend annihilation of Endicott doesn't count, but I don't see any team in the UCHC garnering an AL bid, anyway.)

Utica has a good crop of 21YO "Freshmen". They ought to be alright going forward.
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-12-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Personally, thanks to the autobid, it finally feels good not to have to be stressed or disappointed by every single loss which used to be a dagger into a smoky room bid. Just win the conference baby!

Comment

Working...
                                X