Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

Originally posted by jcase View Post
    Personally, thanks to the autobid, it finally feels good not to have to be stressed or disappointed by every single loss which used to be a dagger into a smoky room bid. Just win the conference baby!
    Well, there's that... But I'd still prefer to see the NCAA berths awarded irrespective of conference affiliation, and on an objective basis.

Comment

Nice showing by UC and Baggs tonight, and the feed from The Domes was great. (Love that place; such a unique venue.)

We'll see if Utica can gain a road-sweep tomorrow. I like this team, but it's still a work in progress.

Comment

Not sure how you can have a 43-18 SOG advantage, and lose 6-1... But it happened today.

Utica hasn't figured it out yet. Might take another year... Or two.

The Fr. class looks good, but the bulk of the team are grinders. Good wheels and average hands among the latter.

A year late for the AQ. Last season's team had the talent to play with anybody, but D-3's process didn't reward merit as much as it did conference-affiliation, a system I despised.

Oh well.... The season is still young, and there's always skiing.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-18-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Not sure how you can have a 43-18 SOG advantage, and lose 6-1... But it happened today.

Utica hasn't figured it out yet. Might take another year... Or two.

The Fr. class looks good, but the bulk of the team are grinders. Good wheels and average hands among the latter.

A year late for the AQ. Last season's team had the talent to play with anybody, but D-3's process didn't reward merit as much as it did conference-affiliation, a system I despise.

Oh well.... The season is still young, and there's always skiing.
          PP 0-11 doesn't help..

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
            PP 0-11 doesn't help..
            True. That game was an all-around train wreck.

Comment

Five goals in the 3rd vs. a quality team, to win going away...

I hope UC gets Point tomorrow, just to see how things stack-up.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-23-2018, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Five goals in the 3rd vs. a quality team, to win going away...

I hope UC gets Point tomorrow, just to see how things stack-up.
                They need to liquefy and bottle whatever Gary said 2nd intermission. The offense was lethargic for the first two periods. They do get UWSP on Saturday night.

Comment

They need to liquefy and bottle whatever Gary said 2nd intermission. The offense was lethargic for the first two periods. They do get UWSP on Saturday night.
                  carefull what you wish for.....best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    carefull what you wish for.....best of luck
                    I hear you. Point was much the better team last night.

I'm guessing that Utica is about as good as this conference gets this season, but the UCHC gets a berth anyway via the AQ, however arbitrary that is.

(Why that fact makes any sense in an objective manner to anyone escapes me, but it'll satisfy the traditionalists.)
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-25-2018, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Solid weekend for UC. The Stevenson game should have been closer, but Utica shot the puck with surgical precision and potted 7 tallies on fewer SOG. Chatham was better than they looked on paper, but faded down the stretch. Importantly, UC's goaltending was excellent all weekend long.

I was hoping for a better ledger than 6-5 at this juncture, but I'm not surprised, considering the losses due to graduation. What does confuse me is all the flux in the lines, and the absence of notable players on given nights.

This team clearly isn't as talented as last season's, granted, and Heenan doesn't seem to worry about winning on a particular night as much as he does fitting the pieces together for the longer term. I suppose having the AQ shot in a weak conference could justify that approach.

Anyway, lots of winnable games ahead, and this team is looking better. I even think they have a shot at Oswego.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-03-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

UC wins on a buzzer-beater with 0:04 on the clock. Great flow to that game. And Wilkes is already surprisingly good; this win might be important down the road. Should be a cake-walk tomorrow at King's.

Comment

Wasn't the cakewalk I predicted. King's G Daigle was tremendous. 54 saves, .947 save %.

Comment

Nice effort v. Skidmore. UC was by far the more-skilled team last night, and Baggeta should have gotten the SO; the lone goal he surrendered was perhaps the softest I've ever seen him allow.

On the down side, the game degenerated into an unwatchable penalty-fest during garbage time. Cavanagh's undisciplined fighting DQ was a minor disaster, as he'll sit for the Oswego game. That contest is Utica's last shot at a quality win, and his absence will be felt.

Edit: My Ex-, who's a UC grad and a big fan, was forced to watch the webcast due to circumstances beyond her control. She told me that #11 (easily Skidmore's best player) got 5 games for his butt-end penalty via the commentator.

I saw him get the gate, but 5 games? Huh. If that was Ray Biggs she quoted, though, I'll buy it.
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-05-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Nice effort v. Skidmore. UC was by far the more-skilled team last night, and Baggeta should have gotten the SO; the lone goal he surrendered was perhaps the softest I've ever seen him allow.

On the down side, the game degenerated into an unwatchable penalty-fest during garbage time. Cavanagh's undisciplined fighting DQ was a minor disaster, as he'll sit for the Oswego game. That contest is Utica's last shot at a quality win, and his absence will be felt.

Edit: My Ex-, who's a UC grad and a big fan, was forced to watch the webcast due to circumstances beyond her control. She told me that #11 (easily Skidmore's best player) got 5 games for his butt-end penalty via the commentator.

I saw him get the gate, but 5 games? Huh. If that was Ray Biggs she quoted, though, I'll buy it.
                              Also, Rutkowski and Fitzpatrick were DQ'd and will have to sit for the Oswego game, leaving the squad quite shorthanded.
                              Have to surmise the commentator meant 5 minutes (for the major), not games?
                              I noticed that Warfield left the team over break and I heard something about Derlago (who didn't play) on the postgame radio discussion driving home but missed the details.

Comment

Also, Rutkowski and Fitzpatrick were DQ'd and will have to sit for the Oswego game, leaving the squad quite shorthanded.
                                Have to surmise the commentator meant 5 minutes (for the major), not games?
                                I noticed that Warfield left the team over break and I heard something about Derlago (who didn't play) on the postgame radio discussion driving home but missed the details.
                                You're right. Ouch.

Edit: I have to wonder how much the Adrian/Salve brawl -and its lack of fallout- has influenced the very insular game of D-3 hockey... As in: the guys have all seen the video, and maybe they think that they can get away with that goonery now and suffer no more than a similar slap on the wrist. Very bad precedent, IMO.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-08-2019, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X