Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

After earning the inaugural UCHC regular & post-season title and then an NCAA tournament snub, the Pioneers saw 9 Seniors graduate from a 21-5-1 team. This year's squad features only 4 Seniors but 2 of the 5 double digit goal scorers (including UCHC All-Rookie team Sophomore forward Connor Landrigan) return to lead the offense that will look to be heavily supported by 5 of the 7 incoming Freshmen forwards that scored 28 or more goals in Juniors last year. A young defense--5 Freshmen and Sophomores of the 8 on the roster--will be backstopped by UCHC Second Team Junior goalie Patrik Virtanen.

Code:
    ARRIVALS:               CL GM  G  A PTS PIM  AGE  HOMETOWN                  HGT    WGT  SH LAST TEAM
    Brad Becker (C)         Fr 50 53-63-116  69   21  Howell, NJ, USA           6’2”   181   R Binghamton Jr. Senators (NA3HL)
    Joey Savel (C)          Fr 54 38-72-110  72   21  Sterling Heights, MI, USA 6’0”   185   R Philadelphia Little Flyers (EHL)
    Tyler Dill (F)		Fr 54 28-60-88   39   21  S. Lake Tahoe, CA, USA    6’1"   180   R Charlotte Rush Premier (USPHL)
    Nick Yzaguirre (F)      Fr 43 31-40-71   64   21  Chicago, IL, USA          5’10”  180   R Charlotte Rush Premier (USPHL)
    Eric Holland (C)	Fr 67 28-28-56   18   20  Whitby, ON, CAN           5’11”  170   L Brockville Braves (CCHL)
    Liam Hunter (D)	        Fr 49  8-28-36   67   21  Norwood, ON, CAN          6’0”   183   L Kemptville 73's (CCHL)
    Justin Allen (D)        Fr 50  1-23-24   14   21  Rochester, NY, USA        6’2”   180   L Rochester Monarchs (NCDC)
    J.T. Entelisano (F)     Fr 59  7- 9-16  103   20  Rome, NY, USA             5’10”  175   L Markham Royals (OJHL)
    Cameron Bartkoski (D)   Fr 37  3- 6- 9    6   21  Dallas, TX, USA           5’10”  180   R Amarillo Bulls (NAHL)
    Regen Cavanagh (F)      Fr  4  1- 0- 1    0   21  Chesapeake, VA, USA       6’1”   192   R Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL)
                               GM  W  GAA  SV% SO                                           CA
    Sean Dickson (G)        Fr 49 25 1.73 .928  5 20  Millbrae, CA, USA         6’1”   205   L Hampton Roads Whalers Premier (USPHL)

DEPARTURES:             CL
    Roman Ammirato (F)	Graduated
    Anthony McVeigh (F)     Graduated
    Brett Szajner (D)       Graduated
    Vince Stefan (D)        Graduated
    Kevin Valenti (F)       Graduated
    Dalton Carter (D)	Graduated
    Mikhail Bushinski (F)   Graduated
    Kyle Lajeunesse (F)     Graduated
    Henry Dill (G)          Graduated

FUN FACT:
    Frozen Four Goalie Nick Therrien (’15) joins the staff as an asst. coach

Re: Utica College Pioneers - 2018-19 Season: Young Guns

Great summary. Thanks for taking the time.

Yes, those 9 Seniors will be missed. They accounted for 50% of last year's goals. I'm counting on Landrigan and the "kids" from the USPHL to take-up some of the slack, but I don't anticipate another 20+ win campaign. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong.

Love the OOC schedule. I would prefer to have last year's team play it, but it was a good move to beef it up just the same. The UCHC is a large but weak conference, and UC needs to schedule the Adrians and Oswegos and Points whenever possible. SOS was what kept them out of the NCAA's last year... (That, and a somewhat dubious selection process.)

Welcome home to Nicky. For all the griping I've heard over the years from UC players and parents, Heenan has inspired much loyalty from his alumni, and aided their pursuit of coaching careers. Good for him.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-17-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Can't say that I was very impressed with Endicott today, but an 8-0 drubbing speaks for itself.

Despite all those goals, UC looks like a "good-wheels/so-so hands" team to me right now.

Bagetta was great in goal. I heard that Virtanen is injured, so we'll need out Gianluca to keep it up.

Another strong effort is needed tomorrow. This team is going to have to get a little more in-sync before it faces Adrian, IMO.
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-21-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Rome's JT Entelisano had a goal and an assist, looks like he fit right in !
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Can't say that I was very impressed with Endicott today, but an 8-0 drubbing speaks for itself.

Despite all those goals, UC looks like a "good-wheels/so-so hands" team to me right now.

Bagetta was great in goal. I heard that Virtanen is injured, so we'll need out Giancarlo to keep it up.

Another strong effort is needed tomorrow. This team is going to have to get a little more in-sync before it faces Adrian, IMO.
          I'm trying to think of the last team a team got out shot and won by eight goals.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            I'm trying to think of the last team a team got out shot and won by eight goals.
            Yeah, that occurred to me too. UC had the better chances, but still, that has to be an extreme rarity.

Comment

Glad to be back. Saturday's game started slow but, obviously, got going rather quickly. Sunday: slow start, not sure why, maybe due to the weird time (?), anywho, rebounded nicely after allowing the 1 Endicott goal. I felt the newcomers took a bit of time to get used to the flow but they did really well. I'm impressed at the newcomers on defense, specifically Allen and Hunter. Both guys seem to fit right in and can play their positions well, Allen even chipping in with two nice helpers on Saturday. There are some big skates to fill after the departure of the seniors, but I think that void will be filled between players. After this weekend, and last year's success, I have some high hopes for Landrigan, kid's got some filthy hands, and if he can keep up the scoring, they'll have no problem in that department. Baggetta played 2 great games, and with Virtanen sidelined, hopefully not for too long, I'm curious to see how he'll handle more consecutive starts. Hoping for another great year, going to be hard to top last year, but anything's possible.
              Utica Pioneers Hockey
              2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
              2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
              2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
              2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

Noone talking about this huge weekend ??
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  I'll bite, Shabby!

As you say, this weekend's games are huge in terms of any shot for an NCAA berth down the road. The only other true quality-win possibilities would be v. Oswego and at the Point holiday tournament. The UCHC schedule will offer little in the way of good competition, win or lose. If UC can come away with 3 points this weekend, call me a believer.

Utica steam-rolled Endicott, which looked to be a quality team on paper, but I still have some reservations regarding this team. They play hard, but will they have enough scoring?

I was disappointed that Yzaquirre, Savel and Becker were all scratched last weekend. They all had fairly fancy numbers in Juniors. Does anyone know if they were injured?

Comment

Originally posted by UCfan30 View Post
                    Glad to be back. Saturday's game started slow but, obviously, got going rather quickly. Sunday: slow start, not sure why, maybe due to the weird time (?), anywho, rebounded nicely after allowing the 1 Endicott goal. I felt the newcomers took a bit of time to get used to the flow but they did really well. I'm impressed at the newcomers on defense, specifically Allen and Hunter. Both guys seem to fit right in and can play their positions well, Allen even chipping in with two nice helpers on Saturday. There are some big skates to fill after the departure of the seniors, but I think that void will be filled between players. After this weekend, and last year's success, I have some high hopes for Landrigan, kid's got some filthy hands, and if he can keep up the scoring, they'll have no problem in that department. Baggetta played 2 great games, and with Virtanen sidelined, hopefully not for too long, I'm curious to see how he'll handle more consecutive starts. Hoping for another great year, going to be hard to top last year, but anything's possible.
                    I'm with you that Landrigan will lead this team in goals. And I'm not worried about Baggs in goal every night if necessary. He's not the biggest guy, but as quick as a cat. I'm not seeing another 21-win season either, but it's too early to tell. Crossing my fingers that the Endicott weekend was indicative of things to come.

Comment

I was disappointed that Yzaquirre, Savel and Becker were all scratched last weekend. They all had fairly fancy numbers in Juniors. Does anyone know if they were injured?
                      I certainly have no inside knowledge on injuries. But with all due respect to those 3 and their impressive stats in juniors, it seems they crushed it in less competitive tier leagues. It would be interesting to see how they would've performed in the NAHL or NCDC. Perhaps why a few others get precedence, just wondering.....

Comment

will tune in tonight for sure btwn Halloween party pick ups...…….Go U

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                          I certainly have no inside knowledge on injuries. But with all due respect to those 3 and their impressive stats in juniors, it seems they crushed it in less competitive tier leagues. It would be interesting to see how they would've performed in the NAHL or NCDC. Perhaps why a few others get precedence, just wondering.....
                          Could be. I hadn't checked the Junior rankings lately. FWIW, the Junior Hockey News rated the EHL and the USPHL-P as 8th and 9th respectively (of 20 leagues rated) for the '17/'18 season.

It's interesting to note that Endicott has 17 NCDC/NAHL players and 8 D-1 transfers.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-26-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Could be. I hadn't checked the Junior rankings lately. FWIW, the Junior Hockey News rated the EHL and the USPHL-P as 8th and 9th respectively (of 20 leagues rated) for the '17/'18 season.

It's interesting to note that Endicott has 17 NCDC/NAHL players and 8 D-1 transfers.
                            The EHL and USPHL-P are certainly respectable leagues, but most people would say that the NAHL, NCDC and CJHL teams feature superior hockey. That having been said, everyone is entitled to an adjustment period, so we shall see how those 3 (and others) adjust.

As for Endicott, on paper they appear to be a strong team. I'm not sure what Utica can take away from two exhibition wins over them, since there are so many moving pieces in exhibitions (back-up goalies getting game time; inclusive rosters; juggling line combinations; etal.). Still, my husband and son will be at the Adrian game this evening, so I'll look forward to receiving a game report from them.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                              Nothing much to talk about. Should be a good warmup weekend for the boys in black and yellow

Comment

Working...
                              X