Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    As Fade mentions on occasion about the whole WCHA breakup thingy...., I have totally got over Mel leaving and can look past it to the benefits he provided MTU.
    It was most likely the plan all along for his return upon Red's retirement. The entire Tech hockey faithful owe him a debt of gratitude for bringing our beloved program from the depths.
    I am now convinced that his selection of Coach Joe to be brought in was a future looking move for someone from the U.P. that could keep the program at a national level.
    Others smirk who is this Coach Shawhan, well we know him now, and Mel is to thank for that as well for bringing to Tech a great hockey mind and a coach motivated to develop players at a great U.P. hockey school.

Those that want to remain upset that an alum left Tech, think about his original career decision to take the job. If he bombs and Tech remains 10 - 24 - 4 each year, he gets the label of "great assistant coach", but not head coach material. He came back to his alma mater putting his career path in jeopardy, with the confidence that he knew as a player that it is a great hockey school that needed resuscitation.
    So let's appreciate what he did for Tech. Tech hockey has not been better in decades and the goal now is to keep it there.

If I ever get the chance to meet Mel again, I would thank him. As he always said, and with that said, Tech is going to put up an awesome game against Michigan, they won't know what hit em....
    That last year one could tell he was dropping nuggets that he was going to be leaving soon and most of us knew it would be for the Skunk Weasels.

I do not begrudge Marv for wanting to coach at U of Skunk Weasels. It still stings that he was a Tech Alumni that said those things. During on of his first interviews/press conferences calls U of Skunk Weasels his "Dream Job". If Tech wasn't his dream job, don't go as far with those type of comments as he did.

As with all coaching changes, recruits are going to follow and some staff will move on to the "bigger" program. It happens all the time in college sports. Doesn't mean the previous school feels any better about things. Most of it has to do with the way it was done.

For me, when he retires from coaching, I will agree with everything you said and will give him his proper place in Tech Hockey history. Until then, he is Marv the Skunk Weasel.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all.

Go Tech!
    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 12-21-2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      I agree 100% and I want to add.... Most people don't know just how hard Mel worked to get the program turned around. He put in a huge amount of time and we owe him for that as well. It was a big job and he did it well.
      I also agree, Marv did a great job for MTU. I just like picking on him for dumping Tech on the dance floor and going home with the rich girl. But at the end of the night I think the Huskies got the better gal in the end.

I also like what Huskiefan906 said about giving him credit for bringing Joe to the program. I just never thought of it that way.

That being said, Marv delivered on one of his favourite mantras: he left the program better than how he found it.

I like this team!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Based on other things I've heard, I wouldn't give Mel credit for "finding" Joe and setting him up for the MTU job. I also don't care that Mel left for Michigan, what I care about is the mess he left with scholarships committed to players and the log jam was left for someone else to make calls to recruits and clean up a giant mess.

I think MTU is quite fortunate to have had Mel to turn things around but they are in a great place now with Joe and his staff.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

FFS, the whining here is sad. While I like an occasional dig, sooner or later you have to learn to sack up and move on. Joe has already been delivering beyond expectations, and more will come, regardless of this year's results.

Shirtless - I think he built that logjam so that he could poach the guys who he felt were the creme de la creme from it. Didn't 3 or so former recruits bolt for UM in Mel's wake?

So far it looks like Mel got the short-end of the stick, but who really knows over the next 2-4 years?
          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-21-2018, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            FFS, the whining here is sad. While I like an occasional dig, sooner or later you have to learn to sack up and move on. Joe has already been delivering beyond expectations, and more will come, regardless of this year's results.

Shirtless - I think he built that logjam so that he could poach the guys who he felt were the creme de la creme from it. Didn't 3 or so former recruits bolt for UM in Mel's wake?

So far it looks like Mel got the short-end of the stick, but who really knows over the next 2-4 years?
            Maybe? I also think he committed kids way too young that didn’t pan out and just kept pushing them back hoping he’d leave before he had to deal with it.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Based on other things I've heard, I wouldn't give Mel credit for "finding" Joe and setting him up for the MTU job. I also don't care that Mel left for Michigan, what I care about is the mess he left with scholarships committed to players and the log jam was left for someone else to make calls to recruits and clean up a giant mess.

I think MTU is quite fortunate to have had Mel to turn things around but they are in a great place now with Joe and his staff.
              Why? Didn't Mel get to pick his own assistants?

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                Was it really that bad at Tech that he needed to change?

Apparently. He decides what he needs to do. It's his life.

Red was 76 when he retired ... so he was going to coach until he was 86 or 96 years old?

I didn't know he was that old.

I don't think that they did; do you??
                Of course they didn't but they could have. He wanted a head coaching job and got it where it was available. He preferred the UM job and eventually got it. Maybe UM would have offered it to someone else when the time came.

Remember Mel turned down the Tech offer at first to stay as UM assistant. It was no secret he really liked it there.

Comment

If David Brandon is still the skunk AD, Marv doesn't go. They had a fractious relationship from day one.

He really likes Warde Manuel.

Comment

But the important thing is: Do Joe and Dr. Sanregret have a good relationship? From what I see as a casual observer, they do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a feeling Coach Joe will have bags under his eyes from lack of sleep trying to figure out the lineup, the benefit of the injuries is that Tech has more forwards with experience that can now play. I hope lineup changes occur at home weekends in the 2nd half to keep all at a high playing level.

If Jackson is back for GLI, where do we fit him back in.
                      The staff has been going with the following wing pairs lately,

Lucchini and Gould
                      Broetzmann and Halonen
                      Parrottino and Beretta
                      Brice and Misiak
                      Notice this leaves goal scorer Bliss disconnected and floating from line to line.
                      Steman, Smith, Reitmeier and Polglaze/Bellant at center.

I am curious who Smith prefers to play on the wings and who he feels he has better chemistry with.
                      Would a Jackson Lucchini Gould line make sense or is it better to split Jackson and Gould due to the scoring capability.

I could see the center for Misiak and Brice changing with Jake taking his spot in the top 6.
                      Does Steman slide to that line and Lucchini go back to center. I think Reitmeier has been awesome with either set of B&H or P&B.

I think this depth will present matchup issues for Michigan.
                      Should be interesting to see the lineup against Michigan, Jake Jackson from all we have heard is expected back along with Mitch Meek.

Comment

Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
                        Why? Didn't Mel get to pick his own assistants?
                        Mel hires who he thought was best for the job, from some of the details I’ve gathered over time, I highly doubt he was thinking at all about who would replace him at MTU. When Sertich stepped down he openly stated he had groomed Maroste and that’s who should replace him...Mel never did that and from what I gather that was never done publicly or privately.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Mel hires who he thought was best for the job, from some of the details I’ve gathered over time, I highly doubt he was thinking at all about who would replace him at MTU. When Sertich stepped down he openly stated he had groomed Maroste and that’s who should replace him...Mel never did that and from what I gather that was never done publicly or privately.
                          An assistant possibly replacing the head coach when he leaves is automatic. Tech went through all of MacInnes' assistants looking for a worthy successor.
                          Last edited by Go___Tech_Gold; 12-22-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
                            An assistant possibly replacing the head coach when he leaves is automatic. Tech went through all of MacInnes' assistants looking for a worthy successor.
                            I just think you’re giving Mel far too much credit for hiring Joe. There is a reason it was a long drawn out process unlike replacing Hakstol as an example.

Comment

At the time I thought hiring Joe was quite the gamble for MTU to take. They were arguably "around the corner" as far as rebuilding the program back into a top tier team, but all the progress seen under Marv could have gone down the drain with a bad hire. So far I am very happy, I'll even say pleasantly surprised, with Joe at the helm. It looks like he is continuing to bring in strong recruits. I hope the success continues.

I like this team!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                I just think you’re giving Mel far too much credit for hiring Joe. There is a reason it was a long drawn out process unlike replacing Hakstol as an example.
                                He's a Weasel troll using an alternate name. Put him on ignore.

Comment

Working...
                                X