Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I will say this...I'm glad my original plans for this weekend aren't happening...
    My wife has already said she's staying indoors, and not wasting money on a ticket. Given her situation, it is probably a good plan.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      If -18 temp + wind chills, for the safety of all move the game back inside.
      In addition to safety, ice at that temp is pretty crappy, isn't it?

Last year, HDM was in St. Cloud, and the Kato-St. Cloud game was played indoors. The Gophers play regularly in HDM, and those have been indoors. It wouldn't exactly be breaking tradition to not play the college game outside.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
        In addition to safety, ice at that temp is pretty crappy, isn't it?

Last year, HDM was in St. Cloud, and the Kato-St. Cloud game was played indoors. The Gophers play regularly in HDM, and those have been indoors. It wouldn't exactly be breaking tradition to not play the college game outside.
        The Beavers first had to get the okay from Michigan Tech to play the game outdoors and then from the WCHA, since conference points were going to be on the line. Both agreed, so the game was scheduled this way. If it was a non-conference game, I don't believe the WCHA would have been involved, it just would have been up to the two schools.

I believe last year's Kato-St. Cloud game is the first time a college game has been in the same town as HDM (edit: 2016 was in Duluth). HDM has always revolved around the Wild and/or the Gophers in Prime Time, hence the reason the BSU-Tech game on Saturday isn't getting covered by FoxSports North.

Here is the TV Schedule including FSN+. FSN felt the SCSU-Western Michigan game was better for FSN+ than BSU and Tech......

9 a.m. Hockey Day coverage begins FSN/*FS App
        9:30 a.m. Andover vs. Minnetonka (Boys) Lake Bemidji, Bemidji FSN/*FS App
        1 p.m. Minnesota State vs. Bemidji State (Women) Lake Bemidji, Bemidji FSN/*FS App
        4 p.m. Ohio State vs. Minnesota Duluth (Women) Amsoil Arena, Duluth FSN+/FS2/*FS App
        4:30 p.m. Greenway vs. Bemidji (Boys) Lake Bemidji, Bemidji FSN/*FS App
        6:15 p.m. Western Michigan vs. St. Cloud State (Men) Herb Brooks Center, St. Cloud FSN+/FS2/*FS App
        8 p.m. Minnesota Wild vs. Columbus Blue Jackets Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul FSN/FS App
        Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
        FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
        NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
        NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
        NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
        NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
        Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
        Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Speaking of outdoor skating (nice hat John!)

https://theathletic.com/769635/2019/...h-ice-on-lake/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsmPyj_B...d=a4fnevf2ai2n

Comment

That's not what I needed to see before watching a hockey game on a lake...

Ryan
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan
              the game isn't on the lake
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan
                Based on the temps in Bemidji I don't think you have to worry about falling through their ice. Quite frankly I'm surprised the ice is still bad in Traverse City!

Comment

Interview tonight with BSU Coaches and players in advance of HDM... http://beaverradionetwork.com/audio/...6-19_ggmcs.mp3

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                    The wind chill for HDM 2008 was -50, and they played outdoors. Everyone survived just fine. This one will be outside too.
                    FTR, I've played boot hockey (so much less equipment) in -20 weather for a couple hours, and I was fine. The staffs will make sure the athletes are good.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It sounds like there will be heat on the benches, so skaters should be fine. The most vulnerable groups will be the goalies, the referees, and mostly the fans.

Comment

I'm thinking there will be a lot fewer fans than expected/ hoped for.

I know I'm not that bummed that I won't be there. Watching on Flo or just listening to Dirk is fine with me for this one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                          Watching on Flo or just listening to Dirk is fine with me for this one.
                          I'm curious to see what level of coverage the video feed will be.

Comment

That's why I say just listening to Dirk. I know that quality will be good.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              I'm thinking there will be a lot fewer fans than expected/ hoped for.

I know I'm not that bummed that I won't be there. Watching on Flo or just listening to Dirk is fine with me for this one.

There will be less for the Tech-BSU game, but I doubt it takes too big of a hit on the Saturday HDM crowd.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                Good Joe Shawhan show today. Seems like some frustration with message getting through to players, holding players accountable etc.

And Friday seems interesting. -18, will it even be played outside at that temp? I have to agree with Joe, bigger home advantage than normal with Bemidji getting to use the outdoor ice this week and prepare for how to keep their players warm.
                                According to the Beaver Radio Network's Coaches' Show from last night, BSU was only allowed one practice on the outdoor rink, which is today (Thursday), for one hour. Tech will also have one hour of practice on the ice.
                                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X