Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 514

Thread: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

  1. #401
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    752

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    I have a feeling Coach Joe will have bags under his eyes from lack of sleep trying to figure out the lineup, the benefit of the injuries is that Tech has more forwards with experience that can now play. I hope lineup changes occur at home weekends in the 2nd half to keep all at a high playing level.

    If Jackson is back for GLI, where do we fit him back in.
    The staff has been going with the following wing pairs lately,

    Lucchini and Gould
    Broetzmann and Halonen
    Parrottino and Beretta
    Brice and Misiak
    Notice this leaves goal scorer Bliss disconnected and floating from line to line.
    Steman, Smith, Reitmeier and Polglaze/Bellant at center.


    I am curious who Smith prefers to play on the wings and who he feels he has better chemistry with.
    Would a Jackson Lucchini Gould line make sense or is it better to split Jackson and Gould due to the scoring capability.

    I could see the center for Misiak and Brice changing with Jake taking his spot in the top 6.
    Does Steman slide to that line and Lucchini go back to center. I think Reitmeier has been awesome with either set of B&H or P&B.

    I think this depth will present matchup issues for Michigan.
    Should be interesting to see the lineup against Michigan, Jake Jackson from all we have heard is expected back along with Mitch Meek.
    Seems everyone would rather talk ancient history coaching changes and former leagues than actual hockey..

    I think it was mentioned over on discord that if the lineup is Joe's biggest problem it's a good problem to have. But I'm as curious as you, as to who Joe decides to go with when Jackson comes back. Mesiak and Brice stay in. I had been thinking that Reitmeier was on the hot seat but he has picked up his game. Bliss seems to be on a roll. Luchi seems to prefer wing over center. Do you move him back and put Jackson with Luchi and Gould? If you do that does that line play solid defensively or do they cheat offensively. And if that's the case can that line play run and gun with UofM's top line and come out winners?

    My feeling is that it's going to come down to goaltending. They give up a couple of easy ones and we win.. we give up a couple of clunkers and the skunks win..

  2. #402
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,453
    Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    Seems everyone would rather talk ancient history coaching changes and former leagues than actual hockey..

    I think it was mentioned over on discord that if the lineup is Joe's biggest problem it's a good problem to have. But I'm as curious as you, as to who Joe decides to go with when Jackson comes back. Mesiak and Brice stay in. I had been thinking that Reitmeier was on the hot seat but he has picked up his game. Bliss seems to be on a roll. Luchi seems to prefer wing over center. Do you move him back and put Jackson with Luchi and Gould? If you do that does that line play solid defensively or do they cheat offensively. And if that's the case can that line play run and gun with UofM's top line and come out winners?

    My feeling is that it's going to come down to goaltending. They give up a couple of easy ones and we win.. we give up a couple of clunkers and the skunks win..
    I saw Bliss play a couple times with Green Bay and knew Tech had a good one. He and Reitmeyer both looked really good in the NMU series. Reitmeyer looks like hes taking a nice step forward this year.

  3. #403
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    752

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    I saw Bliss play a couple times with Green Bay and knew Tech had a good one. He and Reitmeyer both looked really good in the NMU series. Reitmeyer looks like hes taking a nice step forward this year.
    It took Reitmeier awhile, but recently he has certainly picked his game up a notch and started to put together the kind of year that everyone was expecting of him.

    Having seen Bliss play a couple of times this year I have to agree. When he finally puts it all together he is going to be a heck of a player.

  4. #404
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,815

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    My feeling is that it's going to come down to goaltending. They give up a couple of easy ones and we win.. we give up a couple of clunkers and the skunks win..
    This is my thinking as well. If either team can come out and score two quick ones on the team that still has bus legs, that will be it.

    Wasn't Reitmeier considered a bit of a project when Mel recruited him out of (this town still makes me laugh) Flin Flon, MB?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  5. #405
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Demanding two wins in the 2019 Winter Carnival
    Posts
    2,810

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    All four teams have goaltending issues to some extent. UM has the 5th worst combined save % in the NCAA between their two guys.

    The loss of Hughes and Norris to the WJC affects the skunks in a couple different ways.

    One, it breaks up their top line which accounts for 42% of all their scoring. Two, it takes out their #1 faceoff guy. And three, along with that their team speed drops off substantially as a whole. Chasing the puck after you lose the draw will be an issue if the Huskies can play fast.

    Usually this is where they have some taxi line guy step up and have a career weekend. They just don't appear to have a lot of candidates for that on the roster this time. I wouldn't be surprised to see former MTU commit Jake Gingell crack the lineup for just the second time this season on the blueline.

  6. #406
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    752

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    This is my thinking as well. If either team can come out and score two quick ones on the team that still has bus legs, that will be it.

    Wasn't Reitmeier considered a bit of a project when Mel recruited him out of (this town still makes me laugh) Flin Flon, MB?
    Yes, I think you are right about Reitmeier. If I remember right, in a JSH at the start of last season, Joe mentioned that they had expected some eligibility issue with Reit. He was brought in but wouldn't be in any games. Expected to have a year to work with him.. But then he cleared and he was pretty much thrown right into the lineup. You can see the potential and what the coaches like about him. I hope he keeps on that upward development.

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    All four teams have goaltending issues to some extent. UM has the 5th worst combined save % in the NCAA between their two guys.

    The loss of Hughes and Norris to the WJC affects the skunks in a couple different ways.

    One, it breaks up their top line which accounts for 42% of all their scoring. Two, it takes out their #1 faceoff guy. And three, along with that their team speed drops off substantially as a whole. Chasing the puck after you lose the draw will be an issue if the Huskies can play fast.

    Usually this is where they have some taxi line guy step up and have a career weekend. They just don't appear to have a lot of candidates for that on the roster this time. I wouldn't be surprised to see former MTU commit Jake Gingell crack the lineup for just the second time this season on the blueline.
    Even with the skunks missing a couple of top players I'd rather not get into a run and gun, trading grade "A"s every trip down the ice kind of game. I hope we play some D and Robbie continues to play lights out..

    And yea, it's pretty ridiculous how often some call up from the club team has had a career game against us in the GLI. Time to put an end to that.

  7. #407
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    961

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Coach hinted that Robbie Beydoun has the leg up, but will depend on the practices who starts for the GLI.

    If Luch and Gould make Michigan's #1 line chase after them for the puck all afternoon, the other 3 Tech lines should be able to get the better of the play and generate chances.
    Jackson has a history of putting the puck in the net in the GLI.
    I am sure Tech will put pucks on net and would love to see some of the goals that result from good defense off the rush like Halonen's pass to Luch vs Bemidji and Polglaze to Steman as well.
    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 12-28-2018 at 11:14 AM.

  8. #408
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,592

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Coach hinted that Robbie Beydoun has the leg up, but will depend on the practices who starts for the GLI.

    If Luch and Gould make Michigan's #1 line chase after them for the puck all afternoon, the other 3 Tech lines should be able to get the better of the play and generate chances.
    Jackson has a history of putting the puck in the net in the GLI.
    I am sure Tech will put pucks on net and would love to see some of the goals that result from good defense off the rush like Halonen's pass to Luch vs Bemidji and Polglaze to Steman as well.
    The trouble with Gould and Jackson is that they both tend to end up out of their lane and out of position when the other team transitions. Meaning defensively they are a liability. I think Meek is quite important though. if he can play and play well it will elevate our defense and get us out of trouble quicker.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  9. #409
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    752

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    The trouble with Gould and Jackson is that they both tend to end up out of their lane and out of position when the other team transitions. Meaning defensively they are a liability. I think Meek is quite important though. if he can play and play well it will elevate our defense and get us out of trouble quicker.
    I would tend to agree. I think Gould has been in the doghouse a few times this year for defensive lapses. And Jackson has the ability to take over a shift and has some amazing goals over the past few years, yet still may not be the most committed to the defensive end. I'd much rather generate the offense off of strong D than play wide open pond hockey with 'em..

    The keys will be the games with the game. Can our D stand their guys up at the blueline? Or do we not match their speed and have to back in and keep them on the boards. Do our forwards commit to the backcheck and provide the support so the D CAN step up and make the play at our blueline? Does Luch forecheck like a man possessed, like he did the 2nd and 3rd periods of the Saturday night Ferris game. Does Gould get in there and start the battles, once started does he get any help. Or do his line mates stay in soft ice hoping he wins a battle against three guys and we end up with an easy goal.. (not gonna happen often). Do guys commit to blocking shots? In the games I've seen it looks like the guys have gotten back in the habit of doing some "fly by" block attempts (Gould). The little things, attention to detail as Joe would say, are going to be critical tomorrow.

  10. #410
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,592

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
    I would tend to agree. I think Gould has been in the doghouse a few times this year for defensive lapses. And Jackson has the ability to take over a shift and has some amazing goals over the past few years, yet still may not be the most committed to the defensive end. I'd much rather generate the offense off of strong D than play wide open pond hockey with 'em..

    The keys will be the games with the game. Can our D stand their guys up at the blueline? Or do we not match their speed and have to back in and keep them on the boards. Do our forwards commit to the backcheck and provide the support so the D CAN step up and make the play at our blueline? Does Luch forecheck like a man possessed, like he did the 2nd and 3rd periods of the Saturday night Ferris game. Does Gould get in there and start the battles, once started does he get any help. Or do his line mates stay in soft ice hoping he wins a battle against three guys and we end up with an easy goal.. (not gonna happen often). Do guys commit to blocking shots? In the games I've seen it looks like the guys have gotten back in the habit of doing some "fly by" block attempts (Gould). The little things, attention to detail as Joe would say, are going to be critical tomorrow.
    Looking at team weaknesses; Michigan has problems in goal and on defense, but we have problems dealing with a very tough, aggressive forecheck and a tough, aggressive pk. So we have to be able to deal with that forecheck first and foremost, because its coming for sure. Then we need to move the puck faster and give the puck carrier an outlet on the pp. We can't afford to sit back like we tend to do. We are not going to get that many pp chances anyway.
    Last edited by manurespreader; 12-29-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  11. #411
    Veteran huskyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Copper Falls
    Posts
    22,805

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    This is my thinking as well. If either team can come out and score two quick ones on the team that still has bus legs, that will be it.

    Wasn't Reitmeier considered a bit of a project when Mel recruited him out of (this town still makes me laugh) Flin Flon, MB?
    I think Mel's Dad was from Flin Flon. I've been there, its very similar to HoHa. Mining town, lumbering town.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

  12. #412
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    477

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    I think Mel's Dad was from Flin Flon. I've been there, its very similar to HoHa. Mining town, lumbering town.
    One of my first favourite players, Bobby Clarke, is from Flin Flon.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  13. #413
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    752

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Looking at team weaknesses; Michigan has problems in goal and on defense, but we have problems dealing with a very tough, aggressive forecheck and a tough, aggressive pk. So we have to be able to deal with that forecheck first and foremost, because its coming for sure. Then we need to move the puck faster and give the puck carrier an outlet on the pp. We can't afford to sit back like we tend to do. We are not going to get that many pp chances anyway.
    Big Ten refs, no doubt as usualu we'll get screwed on a few calls..


    Game day GO HUSKIES!

  14. #414
    Veteran huskyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Copper Falls
    Posts
    22,805

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Beat the Skunks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

  15. #415
    Mighty Techster
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    Beat the Skunks!
    Tech looked like they were skating in quicksand most of the game. The defense especially. Not good.

  16. #416
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,815
    Quote Originally Posted by redwing61 View Post
    Tech looked like they were skating in quicksand most of the game. The defense especially. Not good.
    I thought neither team looked particularly interested in hustling until the 3rd, when Michigan turned things up a bit, and it looked like any minute we had another late heartbreaker on our hands.

    Lots of sloppy passing by both teams, some cringe-worthy rebounds by both goalies. However, in the end we move on and tomorrow is another, hopefully better game by the Huskies.

    Also, good grief, two 5-minute goal reviews in a game? Way to kill momentum, refs.

  17. #417
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game
    Posts
    477

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Sloppy passing and poor puck handling. Looked like real soft ice.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  18. #418
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    752

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Hey, we advance, so GO HUSKIES

    In the end it did come down to goaltending.

    The skunks plan was to pressure our D as much as possible. We bent a few times but didn't break. We did have trouble with their speed down the wings but for the most part got enough support to keep things to the outside.

    Some of the worst calls by the refs I've seen in a long while. That review took forever (the NCAA needs to put a time limit on reviews, it's obvious or it's not). Two phantom calls on Tech. Yet in the end the refs swallowed the whistles and let 'em play.

    The ice was $hit.. I counted at least seven blown tires for us and several more for the skunks (one that called a trip). And it continued in the next game. LSSU players lost an edge at least four times in the first period alone. The worst decision ever was letting the ******tons play there. BB over the ice surface just wrecks it.

    The passing was sloppy at times, yet MSU and LSSU looked even worse. Everybody shaking the rust off..


    Go Huskies win this thing tomorrow.

  19. #419
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Demanding two wins in the 2019 Winter Carnival
    Posts
    2,810

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    First ever all-UP GLI final.

    And a record third straight consolation matchup of State and the skunks.

  20. #420
    stuck below the bridge
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Howell/Brighton
    Posts
    752

    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    And a record third straight consolation matchup of State and the skunks.
    So sad, my heart is breaking..... Not!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. JohnsonsJerseys

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •