Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Based on other things I've heard, I wouldn't give Mel credit for "finding" Joe and setting him up for the MTU job. I also don't care that Mel left for Michigan, what I care about is the mess he left with scholarships committed to players and the log jam was left for someone else to make calls to recruits and clean up a giant mess.

I think MTU is quite fortunate to have had Mel to turn things around but they are in a great place now with Joe and his staff.
    Why? Didn't Mel get to pick his own assistants?

Quote Originally Posted by lawdoggies View Post
    Was it really that bad at Tech that he needed to change?

Apparently. He decides what he needs to do. It's his life.

Red was 76 when he retired ... so he was going to coach until he was 86 or 96 years old?

I didn't know he was that old.

I don't think that they did; do you??
    Of course they didn't but they could have. He wanted a head coaching job and got it where it was available. He preferred the UM job and eventually got it. Maybe UM would have offered it to someone else when the time came.

Remember Mel turned down the Tech offer at first to stay as UM assistant. It was no secret he really liked it there.

Coach Emeritus
    Demanding two wins in the 2019 Winter Carnival

If David Brandon is still the skunk AD, Marv doesn't go. They had a fractious relationship from day one.

He really likes Warde Manuel.

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

But the important thing is: Do Joe and Dr. Sanregret have a good relationship? From what I see as a casual observer, they do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a feeling Coach Joe will have bags under his eyes from lack of sleep trying to figure out the lineup, the benefit of the injuries is that Tech has more forwards with experience that can now play. I hope lineup changes occur at home weekends in the 2nd half to keep all at a high playing level.

If Jackson is back for GLI, where do we fit him back in.
    The staff has been going with the following wing pairs lately,

Lucchini and Gould
    Broetzmann and Halonen
    Parrottino and Beretta
    Brice and Misiak
    Notice this leaves goal scorer Bliss disconnected and floating from line to line.
    Steman, Smith, Reitmeier and Polglaze/Bellant at center.

I am curious who Smith prefers to play on the wings and who he feels he has better chemistry with.
    Would a Jackson Lucchini Gould line make sense or is it better to split Jackson and Gould due to the scoring capability.

I could see the center for Misiak and Brice changing with Jake taking his spot in the top 6.
    Does Steman slide to that line and Lucchini go back to center. I think Reitmeier has been awesome with either set of B&H or P&B.

I think this depth will present matchup issues for Michigan.
    Should be interesting to see the lineup against Michigan, Jake Jackson from all we have heard is expected back along with Mitch Meek.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
    Why? Didn't Mel get to pick his own assistants?
    Mel hires who he thought was best for the job, from some of the details Iíve gathered over time, I highly doubt he was thinking at all about who would replace him at MTU. When Sertich stepped down he openly stated he had groomed Maroste and thatís who should replace him...Mel never did that and from what I gather that was never done publicly or privately.

Mel hires who he thought was best for the job, from some of the details I’ve gathered over time, I highly doubt he was thinking at all about who would replace him at MTU. When Sertich stepped down he openly stated he had groomed Maroste and that’s who should replace him...Mel never did that and from what I gather that was never done publicly or privately.
    An assistant possibly replacing the head coach when he leaves is automatic. Tech went through all of MacInnes' assistants looking for a worthy successor.
    Last edited by Go___Tech_Gold; 12-22-2018 at 01:20 PM.

An assistant possibly replacing the head coach when he leaves is automatic. Tech went through all of MacInnes' assistants looking for a worthy successor.
    I just think youíre giving Mel far too much credit for hiring Joe. There is a reason it was a long drawn out process unlike replacing Hakstol as an example.

At the time I thought hiring Joe was quite the gamble for MTU to take. They were arguably "around the corner" as far as rebuilding the program back into a top tier team, but all the progress seen under Marv could have gone down the drain with a bad hire. So far I am very happy, I'll even say pleasantly surprised, with Joe at the helm. It looks like he is continuing to bring in strong recruits. I hope the success continues.

I like this team!

TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    I just think youíre giving Mel far too much credit for hiring Joe. There is a reason it was a long drawn out process unlike replacing Hakstol as an example.
    He's a Weasel troll using an alternate name. Put him on ignore.

Really??!!

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    But the important thing is: Do Joe and Dr. Sanregret have a good relationship? From what I see as a casual observer, they do. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Seems to me Suzanne does not get enough credit for the turn around. Something key changed and the story seems to be a bit muddled. Was it in part new hires? Was it a philosophy change? major increase in funding? Was it the break up of the conferences?

I could say the same about Glenn. Seemed he more than just showed up to show his support.

Of course they didn't but they could have. He wanted a head coaching job and got it where it was available. He preferred the UM job and eventually got it. Maybe UM would have offered it to someone else when the time came.

Remember Mel turned down the Tech offer at first to stay as UM assistant. It was no secret he really liked it there.
    What if, when Nahrgang resigned in February of '85, Mel was given the head coaching job would we have had that many years of futility? He eventually did come back to resurrect the program to respectability. Who know what goes on behind the scene.

I am guessing it was given to Boxer because he was the top assistant and had more experience in coaching. Of course that is all water under the bridge
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    What if, when Nahrgang resigned in February of '85, Mel was given the head coaching job would we have had that many years of futility? He eventually did come back to resurrect the program to respectability. Who know what goes on behind the scene.

I am guessing it was given to Boxer because he was the top assistant and had more experience in coaching. Of course that is all water under the bridge
    Mel or any other coach would have likely failed, just like Russell did, if the increased institutional support, and increased budget/committment didn't also happen. Tech was a low budget operation under Russell, and when they hired Mel, they also increased budget and committed to winning. $$$$$ was a big factor in the turnaround, and Suzanne deserves a helluva lot of credit for it.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

The real issue was not giving it to Mel when he tried to return to Houghton in 1996 (I believe I have that right).
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

I just think you’re giving Mel far too much credit for hiring Joe. There is a reason it was a long drawn out process unlike replacing Hakstol as an example.
    The job still has to be posted for others to apply. It is called equal opportunity employment... (said with tongue in cheek).

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Mel or any other coach would have likely failed, just like Russell did, if the increased institutional support, and increased budget/committment didn't also happen. Tech was a low budget operation under Russell, and when they hired Mel, they also increased budget and committed to winning. $$$$$ was a big factor in the turnaround, and Suzanne deserves a helluva lot of credit for it.
    Suzanne is the best AD Tech has ever hired in my opinion.Since her hire, all of the athletic programs have had decent seasons. You are correct in the fact that dollars put into the hockey program really turned things around. I think the university as a whole knew they needed to put more money into its sports programs.

Suzanne is the best AD Tech has ever hired in my opinion.Since her hire, all of the athletic programs have had decent seasons. You are correct in the fact that dollars put into the hockey program really turned things around. I think the university as a whole knew they needed to put more money into its sports programs.
    Suzanne has done a great job, but I believe some of the credit also goes to the people at the University who have reached out to alumni and secured a lot more money for the athletic programs than was available on the past.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I still assume the conspiracy theory. Red wasn't ready to retire. Michigan (and Red) felt Marv needed some head coaching experience. Tech needed help in turning its program around. Marv came to Tech, turned the program around, got experience in being a head coach and was nicely positioned when Red did decide to retire. All planned in advance by the powers that be. Everybody got what they needed. I just wish Marv, when asked, if he was staying at Tech could have hedged a little - "who knows what the future holds?" etc, instead of the hardline "I intend to retire from Tech". But that reaches into college sports politics of which I know little. I'll stick to the conspiracy theory. Elvis was the shooter on the grassy knoll, Andy Kaufman staged the moon landing and Marilyn and Edward Kennedy are now living in bliss on a tropical island.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    Andy Kaufman staged the moon landing
    Oh no, you didn't.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

stuck below the bridge