Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Simple solution:
    Season #1 Michigan plays at Tech
    Season #2 Tech plays at Michigan
    Season #3 Michigan plays at Tech (if they never schedule the second set of games at Tech then the agreement ends with a 1 for 1 completed)
    Season #4 Tech plays at Michigan (if necessary, Scout's honor)

No reason Tech has to travel first. Easy way to see if Merf's word is any good.
    Ryan
    Pretty sure thats what is going to happen (MTU hosting Michigan first) because I don't think they have room on their schedule to go to Michigan next year and Michigan is coming to Houghton to kick off the 100th season for MTU in Fall 2020...at least that is what I've heard.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Easy way to see if Merf's word is any good.
    Ryan
    "I intend for Michigan Tech to be my last coaching job" "I want to retire from Michigan Tech" "I love it up here"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Too far from Houghton to be at the Mac for every game

Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    "I intend for Michigan Tech to be my last coaching job" "I want to retire from Michigan Tech" "I love it up here"
    Maybe he thinks he will come back and be Joe's AC.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Really??!!

I've tried looking maybe someone can help. Does the Pep Band have a twitter account? I saw a kind of challenge put out there and wanted to see if they would reply to it.

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    I've tried looking maybe someone can help. Does the Pep Band have a twitter account? I saw a kind of challenge put out there and wanted to see if they would reply to it.
    @DaWGs

Michigan Tech Fan

Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    Spoken by a Michigan Tech alum no less, which makes it even worse.
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

I'm honestly happier with Joe than with Marv. Joe shows emotion and has a good track record. I think he should be paid more than we paid Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
    I'm honestly happier with Joe than with Marv. Joe shows emotion and has a good track record. I think he should be paid more than we paid Marv.
    Agreed. Joe is a better coach, and a great fit for Tech.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

I'll third that.

I like this coach. I like this team.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    I'll third that.

I like this coach. I like this team.

I will say I think the overall staff is a lot better than it was.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Spoken by a Michigan Tech alum no less, which makes it even worse.
    Ryan
    Is it really that bad that he wanted a change? For all he knew Berenson would have went another 10 or 20 years. Or UM would have offered the job to someone else once Red was out.

sitting by the river lawdoggies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
    Is it really that bad that he wanted a change?
    Was it really that bad at Tech that he needed to change?

For all he knew Berenson would have went another 10 or 20 years.
    Red was 76 when he retired ... so he was going to coach until he was 86 or 96 years old?

Or UM would have offered the job to someone else once Red was out.
    I don't think that they did; do you??

Quote Originally Posted by lawdoggies View Post
    Was it really that bad at Tech that he needed to change?

Red was 76 when he retired ... so he was going to coach until he was 86 or 96 years old?

I don't think that they did; do you??
    I don't get the impression that poster is worth responding to.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

As Fade mentions on occasion about the whole WCHA breakup thingy...., I have totally got over Mel leaving and can look past it to the benefits he provided MTU.
    It was most likely the plan all along for his return upon Red's retirement. The entire Tech hockey faithful owe him a debt of gratitude for bringing our beloved program from the depths.
    I am now convinced that his selection of Coach Joe to be brought in was a future looking move for someone from the U.P. that could keep the program at a national level.
    Others smirk who is this Coach Shawhan, well we know him now, and Mel is to thank for that as well for bringing to Tech a great hockey mind and a coach motivated to develop players at a great U.P. hockey school.

Those that want to remain upset that an alum left Tech, think about his original career decision to take the job. If he bombs and Tech remains 10 - 24 - 4 each year, he gets the label of "great assistant coach", but not head coach material. He came back to his alma mater putting his career path in jeopardy, with the confidence that he knew as a player that it is a great hockey school that needed resuscitation.
    So let's appreciate what he did for Tech. Tech hockey has not been better in decades and the goal now is to keep it there.

If I ever get the chance to meet Mel again, I would thank him. As he always said, and with that said, Tech is going to put up an awesome game against Michigan, they won't know what hit em....
    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 12-21-2018 at 06:33 AM.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    As Fade mentions on occasion about the whole WCHA breakup thingy...., I have totally got over Mel leaving and can look past it to the benefits he provided MTU.
    It was most likely the plan all along for his return upon Red's retirement. The entire Tech hockey faithful owe him a debt of gratitude for bringing our beloved program from the depths.
    I am now convinced that his selection of Coach Joe to be brought in was a future looking move for someone from the U.P. that could keep the program at a national level.
    Others smirk who is this Coach Shawhan, well we know him now, and Mel is to thank for that as well for bringing to Tech a great hockey mind and a coach motivated to develop players at a great U.P. hockey school.

Those that want to remain upset that an alum left Tech, think about his original career decision to take the job. If he bombs and Tech remains 10 - 24 - 4 each year, he gets the label of "great assistant coach", but not head coach material. He came back to his alma mater putting his career path in jeopardy, with the confidence that he knew as a player that it is a great hockey school that needed resuscitation.
    So let's appreciate what he did for Tech. Tech hockey has not been better in decades and the goal now is to keep it there.

If I ever get the chance to meet Mel again, I would thank him. As he always said, and with that said, Tech is going to put up an awesome game against Michigan, they won't know what hit em....
    I agree 100% and I want to add.... Most people don't know just how hard Mel worked to get the program turned around. He put in a huge amount of time and we owe him for that as well. It was a big job and he did it well.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

That last year one could tell he was dropping nuggets that he was going to be leaving soon and most of us knew it would be for the Skunk Weasels.

I do not begrudge Marv for wanting to coach at U of Skunk Weasels. It still stings that he was a Tech Alumni that said those things. During on of his first interviews/press conferences calls U of Skunk Weasels his "Dream Job". If Tech wasn't his dream job, don't go as far with those type of comments as he did.

As with all coaching changes, recruits are going to follow and some staff will move on to the "bigger" program. It happens all the time in college sports. Doesn't mean the previous school feels any better about things. Most of it has to do with the way it was done.

For me, when he retires from coaching, I will agree with everything you said and will give him his proper place in Tech Hockey history. Until then, he is Marv the Skunk Weasel.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to all.

Go Tech!
    Last edited by Lost_Husky; 12-21-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I agree 100% and I want to add.... Most people don't know just how hard Mel worked to get the program turned around. He put in a huge amount of time and we owe him for that as well. It was a big job and he did it well.
    I also agree, Marv did a great job for MTU. I just like picking on him for dumping Tech on the dance floor and going home with the rich girl. But at the end of the night I think the Huskies got the better gal in the end.

I also like what Huskiefan906 said about giving him credit for bringing Joe to the program. I just never thought of it that way.

That being said, Marv delivered on one of his favourite mantras: he left the program better than how he found it.

I like this team!

Based on other things I've heard, I wouldn't give Mel credit for "finding" Joe and setting him up for the MTU job. I also don't care that Mel left for Michigan, what I care about is the mess he left with scholarships committed to players and the log jam was left for someone else to make calls to recruits and clean up a giant mess.

I think MTU is quite fortunate to have had Mel to turn things around but they are in a great place now with Joe and his staff.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

FFS, the whining here is sad. While I like an occasional dig, sooner or later you have to learn to sack up and move on. Joe has already been delivering beyond expectations, and more will come, regardless of this year's results.

Shirtless - I think he built that logjam so that he could poach the guys who he felt were the creme de la creme from it. Didn't 3 or so former recruits bolt for UM in Mel's wake?

So far it looks like Mel got the short-end of the stick, but who really knows over the next 2-4 years?
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 12-22-2018 at 12:31 AM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    FFS, the whining here is sad. While I like an occasional dig, sooner or later you have to learn to sack up and move on. Joe has already been delivering beyond expectations, and more will come, regardless of this year's results.

Shirtless - I think he built that logjam so that he could poach the guys who he felt were the creme de la creme from it. Didn't 3 or so former recruits bolt for UM in Mel's wake?

So far it looks like Mel got the short-end of the stick, but who really knows over the next 2-4 years?
    Maybe? I also think he committed kids way too young that didn’t pan out and just kept pushing them back hoping he’d leave before he had to deal with it.

Thread Information