Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

BCHL is definitely a step up from the NAHL.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      BCHL is definitely a step up from the NAHL.
      JHN begs to differ: https://thejuniorhockeynews.com/rati...at-all-levels/

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        Look at where kids from each league are committing...

Top 10 Heisenberg 2019 recruits from each league are:

BCHL
        Boston College
        North Dakota
        Quinnipiac
        North Dakota
        Ohio State
        Minnesota-Duluth
        Arizona State
        Yale
        Harvard
        Penn State

NAHL
        Arizona State
        Mercyhurst
        RPI
        Colorado College
        Penn State
        Air Force
        Minnesota
        Nebraska-Omaha
        Canisius
        Merrimack

Higher end recruits, going to more blue-blood programs come from the BCHL.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Look at where kids from each league are committing...

Top 10 Heisenberg 2019 recruits from each league are:

BCHL
          Boston College
          North Dakota
          Quinnipiac
          North Dakota
          Ohio State
          Minnesota-Duluth
          Arizona State
          Yale
          Harvard
          Penn State

NAHL
          Arizona State
          Mercyhurst
          RPI
          Colorado College
          Penn State
          Air Force
          Minnesota
          Nebraska-Omaha
          Canisius
          Merrimack

Higher end recruits, going to more blue-blood programs come from the BCHL.
          To add to it, here are the junior leagues where the top 15 NCAA scorers (ppg) played:
          1. Fox (Harvard) - USHL
          2. Barratt (Penn State) - USHL
          3. Limoges (Penn State) - USHL
          4. Hirose (Mich State) - BCHL
          5. Kuffner (Princeton) - CCHL
          6. Veronneau (Princeton) - CCHL
          7. Dornbach (Harvard) - USHL
          8. Tufto (Quinnipiac) - USHL
          9. Chaffee (UMass) - USHL
          9. Wilkins (Providence) - USHL
          11. Snively (Yale) - USHL
          12. McLaughlin (Canisius) - USHL
          13. Priskie (Quinnipiac) - BCHL
          14. Kruse (Bowling Green) - NAHL
          14. Newell (St. Cloud) - BCHL

USHL - 9
          BCHL - 3
          CCHL - 2
          NAHL - 1

I guess the moral here is, high end talent comes predominantly from the USHL.

edit: Going back for Tech, looking at stats (and I just looked quick, so I apologize if I missed a player), the last time Tech had an NAHL alum finish the season in the top 5 in points was in 06-07. Lars Helminen.

You just don't see the high end talent coming from the NAHL like it does from the BCHL. You can definitely get productive players from the NAHL, there are a bunch of good ones in that league, but they aren't the high end guys. The BCHL gets their share of high end guys. NAHL is a better league for getting defensemen, grinding forwards, goalies, and an occasional undersized skill player.
          Last edited by bigblue_dl; 01-04-2019, 09:01 AM.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

To add to it, here are the junior leagues where the top 15 NCAA scorers (ppg) played:
            1. Fox (Harvard) - USHL
            2. Barratt (Penn State) - USHL
            3. Limoges (Penn State) - USHL
            4. Hirose (Mich State) - BCHL
            5. Kuffner (Princeton) - CCHL
            6. Veronneau (Princeton) - CCHL
            7. Dornbach (Harvard) - USHL
            8. Tufto (Quinnipiac) - USHL
            9. Chaffee (UMass) - USHL
            9. Wilkins (Providence) - USHL
            11. Snively (Yale) - USHL
            12. McLaughlin (Canisius) - USHL
            13. Priskie (Quinnipiac) - BCHL
            14. Kruse (Bowling Green) - NAHL
            14. Newell (St. Cloud) - BCHL

USHL - 9
            BCHL - 3
            CCHL - 2
            NAHL - 1

I guess the moral here is, high end talent comes predominantly from the USHL.

edit: Going back for Tech, looking at stats (and I just looked quick, so I apologize if I missed a player), the last time Tech had an NAHL alum finish the season in the top 5 in points was in 06-07. Lars Helminen.

You just don't see the high end talent coming from the NAHL like it does from the BCHL. You can definitely get productive players from the NAHL, there are a bunch of good ones in that league, but they aren't the high end guys. The BCHL gets their share of high end guys. NAHL is a better league for getting defensemen, grinding forwards, goalies, and an occasional undersized skill player.
            to be fair, BCHL is a scoring league...we listen to Shawhan talk almost weekly about two-way players and how Petan was a liability on defense so it isn't just about offensive stats.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              to be fair, BCHL is a scoring league...we listen to Shawhan talk almost weekly about two-way players and how Petan was a liability on defense so it isn't just about offensive stats.
              Right, but that agrees with my argument, IMO. The ability to score, be a sniper, etc. is a skill, and I'm arguing that the BCHL is a more skilled league. You cannot teach that innate ability to be a goal scorer. You find more players with that ability in the BCHL than the NAHL. Of course, it appears that the USHL is the likely the destination for more "complete" 2-way hockey players, but no one is going to argue that USHL isn't the top Jr. league around. If you are building a team via recruiting, the formula is to get your top d-men, and your top forwards from the USHL. Supplement them with a couple pure goal scorers from the BCHL, and some good defensively sound 4th line types from the NAHL. There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but based on style of play, and past track record, these seem like the mold for a large majority in each league.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Right, but that agrees with my argument, IMO. The ability to score, be a sniper, etc. is a skill, and I'm arguing that the BCHL is a more skilled league. You cannot teach that innate ability to be a goal scorer. You find more players with that ability in the BCHL than the NAHL. Of course, it appears that the USHL is the likely the destination for more "complete" 2-way hockey players, but no one is going to argue that USHL isn't the top Jr. league around. If you are building a team via recruiting, the formula is to get your top d-men, and your top forwards from the USHL. Supplement them with a couple pure goal scorers from the BCHL, and some good defensively sound 4th line types from the NAHL. There are obviously exceptions to the rule, but based on style of play, and past track record, these seem like the mold for a large majority in each league.
                The BCHL does have some great scoring talent but it also lacks defense, which results in more scoring...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

A great analysis of JR/HS scoring and how it translates to college scoring taking into account leagues, and age of the players. And forwards and D. May just be where Joe is getting his stats from..

https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/?s=Do+Stats+MAtter

Comment

I sensed a slump coming ever since the UAH weekend, and we're right in the thick of it at the worst possible time.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      I sensed a slump coming ever since the UAH weekend, and we're right in the thick of it at the worst possible time.
                      It says a lot when the coach feels like playing a forward at defense is his best option.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        It says a lot when the coach feels like playing a forward at defense is his best option.
                        Anyone figure out which D was sitting for the forward(s)?

Comment

I noticed he made Bliss a healthy scratch, after a pretty solid first half for a freshman.

I'm OK with having Polglaze as the 7th "defenseman" when it's called for.

Comment

So Tech is playing well and imho was outplaying them at times. The third is even and one of our players, with 5 minutes left, and Tech on the PP takes an offensive zone penalty and they score on the power play and we lose. Seriously, you can't make this up.
                            Man I hate losing!

Comment

So Tech is playing well and imho was outplaying them at times. The third is even and one of our players, with 5 minutes left, and Tech on the PP takes an offensive zone penalty and they score on the power play and we lose. Seriously, you can't make this up.
                              Man I hate losing!
                              dumb penalties against good teams... we'll learn... sooner or later.. I hope..

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                                dumb penalties against good teams... we'll learn... sooner or later.. I hope..
                                I didn't think our PK was all that good either.

Comment

Working...
                                X