X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    First ever all-UP GLI final.

And a record third straight consolation matchup of State and the skunks.
    State vs. Skunkheads. The matchup most of Flatlander Nation wanted to see.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

six championship games in 7 years, time for another championship...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        six championship games in 7 years, time for another championship...
        Only the second period but by far the worst beating of the year. LSSU really exposing our defense.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Only the second period but by far the worst beating of the year. LSSU really exposing our defense.
          Yep. I'm not at all proud of our team after this weekend's performance.

Comment

Always a bridesmaid.. never a bride.

That was just plain butt ugly. After that I don't even know how or where to begin, so I just leave it BUTT UGLY.

Comment

I'm chalking that up as our worst game of the year. Painful to watch.

The giveaways, the terrible passing, the total lack of puck and positional awareness for long stretches of the game, allowing ourselves to get pushed around by Lake State's older, stronger depth guys, the complete disinterest in showing any kind of hustle until very late in the third period. All of it.

Comment

The intensity of the Lakers forecheck and the commit to the compete level is what surprised me as the game started. LSSU outplayed MSU for the majority of the game which I watched in person, but it was not all that physical. LSSU definitely upped the intensity for Tech. Disappointed for us that we could not match it as there is no doubt our guys wanted this one.
                It did look like Tech was out of sync, like the timing chain was off, as we were not together despite the effort being there for the majority of the game, but sloppy or disjointed was the only way to describe the output. Lucchini showed all of us what an amazing talent that he is.

The good part is there is always the next game. The season is now upon the team, so the effort to regroup and refocus for the gauntlet run will be fun to watch.
                Stay behind the team, and Go Huskies....

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                  The intensity of the Lakers forecheck and the commit to the compete level is what surprised me as the game started. LSSU outplayed MSU for the majority of the game which I watched in person, but it was not all that physical. LSSU definitely upped the intensity for Tech. Disappointed for us that we could not match it as there is no doubt our guys wanted this one.
                  It did look like Tech was out of sync, like the timing chain was off, as we were not together despite the effort being there for the majority of the game, but sloppy or disjointed was the only way to describe the output. Lucchini showed all of us what an amazing talent that he is.

The good part is there is always the next game. The season is now upon the team, so the effort to regroup and refocus for the gauntlet run will be fun to watch.
                  You have to give credit to LSSu they were the better team. I thought our guys tried hard and played about how they have been playing, but Lssu was just in the way, did a better job of keeping us out of our game and took advantage of all those chances we gave them..I don't think this is anything new, just that we got away with it before. We have got to play better if we want to be in the NCAA's at the end of the year. I thought Beydoun was outstanding.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

I agree with you regarding the intensity of LSSU and with our timing being messed up. I also agree with another post stating the size age and D talent of LSSU is to their advantage. But the biggest difference I thought was coaching in this game. Not really bad on our part but giving Whitten credit. They applied a hard forecheck but it also was changed several times. Two of the goals against came from this and a multitude of chances. First one they came with two forwards low and the weak D appeared to cover our forward at the wall but released knowing he had help, our center and second forward were too high for a simple short pass to the middle that can't get picked. Bad choice by D prob should have gone off the glass but forwards were not in position for the proper breakout against that type of pressure. NMU did the same thing the first night and we adjusted better the second night. The second they absolutely knew a tendency and jumped a set play off the face-off we won! The other two goals were on the PP, one was an absolute set play with a player leaving the zone then reentering with speed to drive low and open the front of the net. Really good coaching.

I like our coaches and I believe they will learn and make the adjustments. The fact that more than half the guys playing, have 1 year or less experience at this level doesn't make the coaching any simpler. We can skate with anyone, we cutout just 3-4 mistakes and 3 dumb O zone penalties by youngsters and we win by 2 or three. Beydoun was terrific. This team is going to keep getting better as they gain experience, looking forward to seeing it happen.

Comment

I too was happy with Beydoun. Let's hope he's given a chance to keep going as the fer-shur #1 based on his game performances. I think it helps the team as a whole if they know they have one guy getting the starts. But it wouldn't surprise me if Joe comes out on Friday and says "[Jurusik/Kero] has been practicing real hard and has earned a start".

The purple cows know what's been throwing Tech off over the last few weeks and we can expect an aggressive forecheck and a lot of pressure through the neutral zone. Joe & Co. have a short time to devise and implement a scheme to break that.

I like this team!

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61
                        Hancock Central star Alex Nordstrom has signed with the Grande Prairie Storm (AJHL). He has three years of junior eligibility, and if it turns out he's good enough to play Division I, it seems unlikely he would choose another school over Tech.
                        Called it!

https://twitter.com/alexnordstrom_/s...82102851207169

Alex is in the top 15 in points/game among AJHL U19s at 0.88 P/G, although the top player in that category (a Wisconsin commit) has 1.64 P/G.
                        Last edited by redwing61; 01-02-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I like this. 2020-21 I'm guessing?

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                            Called it!

https://twitter.com/alexnordstrom_/s...82102851207169

Alex is in the top 15 in points/game among AJHL U19s at 0.88 P/G, although the top player in that category (a Wisconsin commit) has 1.64 P/G.
                            good call. Congrats to Alex.

Where does he rank amongst rookies?

Mow get out your crystal ball and tell us if you see Dawson Mckay playing for the Huskies sometime in the future..

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                              Where does he rank amongst rookies?
                              Fifth, if you throw out the guys with 3 GP or fewer.

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                              Mow get out your crystal ball and tell us if you see Dawson Mckay playing for the Huskies sometime in the future..
                              Well, he didn't catch on in the NAHL, so I don't see it happening. Now he's with Surrey of the BCHL. Here's his first goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_eOV-5eqfo

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                                Fifth, if you throw out the guys with 3 GP or fewer.

Pretty darn good!

Well, he didn't catch on in the NAHL, so I don't see it happening. Now he's with Surrey of the BCHL. Here's his first goal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_eOV-5eqfo
                                I would say the BCHL is at least equal to the NAHL.. maybe a little better. So that move seems like a step up. There is hope for him still.

Comment

Working...
                                X