Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    But the important thing is: Do Joe and Dr. Sanregret have a good relationship? From what I see as a casual observer, they do. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Seems to me Suzanne does not get enough credit for the turn around. Something key changed and the story seems to be a bit muddled. Was it in part new hires? Was it a philosophy change? major increase in funding? Was it the break up of the conferences?

I could say the same about Glenn. Seemed he more than just showed up to show his support.

Comment

Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
      Of course they didn't but they could have. He wanted a head coaching job and got it where it was available. He preferred the UM job and eventually got it. Maybe UM would have offered it to someone else when the time came.

Remember Mel turned down the Tech offer at first to stay as UM assistant. It was no secret he really liked it there.
      What if, when Nahrgang resigned in February of '85, Mel was given the head coaching job would we have had that many years of futility? He eventually did come back to resurrect the program to respectability. Who know what goes on behind the scene.

I am guessing it was given to Boxer because he was the top assistant and had more experience in coaching. Of course that is all water under the bridge
      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
        What if, when Nahrgang resigned in February of '85, Mel was given the head coaching job would we have had that many years of futility? He eventually did come back to resurrect the program to respectability. Who know what goes on behind the scene.

I am guessing it was given to Boxer because he was the top assistant and had more experience in coaching. Of course that is all water under the bridge
        Mel or any other coach would have likely failed, just like Russell did, if the increased institutional support, and increased budget/committment didn't also happen. Tech was a low budget operation under Russell, and when they hired Mel, they also increased budget and committed to winning. $$$$$ was a big factor in the turnaround, and Suzanne deserves a helluva lot of credit for it.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The real issue was not giving it to Mel when he tried to return to Houghton in 1996 (I believe I have that right).
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I just think you’re giving Mel far too much credit for hiring Joe. There is a reason it was a long drawn out process unlike replacing Hakstol as an example.
            The job still has to be posted for others to apply. It is called equal opportunity employment... (said with tongue in cheek).

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Mel or any other coach would have likely failed, just like Russell did, if the increased institutional support, and increased budget/committment didn't also happen. Tech was a low budget operation under Russell, and when they hired Mel, they also increased budget and committed to winning. $$$$$ was a big factor in the turnaround, and Suzanne deserves a helluva lot of credit for it.
              Suzanne is the best AD Tech has ever hired in my opinion.Since her hire, all of the athletic programs have had decent seasons. You are correct in the fact that dollars put into the hockey program really turned things around. I think the university as a whole knew they needed to put more money into its sports programs.

Comment

Suzanne is the best AD Tech has ever hired in my opinion.Since her hire, all of the athletic programs have had decent seasons. You are correct in the fact that dollars put into the hockey program really turned things around. I think the university as a whole knew they needed to put more money into its sports programs.
                Suzanne has done a great job, but I believe some of the credit also goes to the people at the University who have reached out to alumni and secured a lot more money for the athletic programs than was available on the past.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I still assume the conspiracy theory. Red wasn't ready to retire. Michigan (and Red) felt Marv needed some head coaching experience. Tech needed help in turning its program around. Marv came to Tech, turned the program around, got experience in being a head coach and was nicely positioned when Red did decide to retire. All planned in advance by the powers that be. Everybody got what they needed. I just wish Marv, when asked, if he was staying at Tech could have hedged a little - "who knows what the future holds?" etc, instead of the hardline "I intend to retire from Tech". But that reaches into college sports politics of which I know little. I'll stick to the conspiracy theory. Elvis was the shooter on the grassy knoll, Andy Kaufman staged the moon landing and Marilyn and Edward Kennedy are now living in bliss on a tropical island.
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                    Andy Kaufman staged the moon landing
                    Oh no, you didn't.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

https://soundcloud.com/officialredwi...nd-mel-pearson

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                        I have a feeling Coach Joe will have bags under his eyes from lack of sleep trying to figure out the lineup, the benefit of the injuries is that Tech has more forwards with experience that can now play. I hope lineup changes occur at home weekends in the 2nd half to keep all at a high playing level.

If Jackson is back for GLI, where do we fit him back in.
                        The staff has been going with the following wing pairs lately,

Lucchini and Gould
                        Broetzmann and Halonen
                        Parrottino and Beretta
                        Brice and Misiak
                        Notice this leaves goal scorer Bliss disconnected and floating from line to line.
                        Steman, Smith, Reitmeier and Polglaze/Bellant at center.

I am curious who Smith prefers to play on the wings and who he feels he has better chemistry with.
                        Would a Jackson Lucchini Gould line make sense or is it better to split Jackson and Gould due to the scoring capability.

I could see the center for Misiak and Brice changing with Jake taking his spot in the top 6.
                        Does Steman slide to that line and Lucchini go back to center. I think Reitmeier has been awesome with either set of B&H or P&B.

I think this depth will present matchup issues for Michigan.
                        Should be interesting to see the lineup against Michigan, Jake Jackson from all we have heard is expected back along with Mitch Meek.
                        Seems everyone would rather talk ancient history coaching changes and former leagues than actual hockey..

I think it was mentioned over on discord that if the lineup is Joe's biggest problem it's a good problem to have. But I'm as curious as you, as to who Joe decides to go with when Jackson comes back. Mesiak and Brice stay in. I had been thinking that Reitmeier was on the hot seat but he has picked up his game. Bliss seems to be on a roll. Luchi seems to prefer wing over center. Do you move him back and put Jackson with Luchi and Gould? If you do that does that line play solid defensively or do they cheat offensively. And if that's the case can that line play run and gun with UofM's top line and come out winners?

My feeling is that it's going to come down to goaltending. They give up a couple of easy ones and we win.. we give up a couple of clunkers and the skunks win..

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                          Seems everyone would rather talk ancient history coaching changes and former leagues than actual hockey..

I think it was mentioned over on discord that if the lineup is Joe's biggest problem it's a good problem to have. But I'm as curious as you, as to who Joe decides to go with when Jackson comes back. Mesiak and Brice stay in. I had been thinking that Reitmeier was on the hot seat but he has picked up his game. Bliss seems to be on a roll. Luchi seems to prefer wing over center. Do you move him back and put Jackson with Luchi and Gould? If you do that does that line play solid defensively or do they cheat offensively. And if that's the case can that line play run and gun with UofM's top line and come out winners?

My feeling is that it's going to come down to goaltending. They give up a couple of easy ones and we win.. we give up a couple of clunkers and the skunks win..
                          I saw Bliss play a couple times with Green Bay and knew Tech had a good one. He and Reitmeyer both looked really good in the NMU series. Reitmeyer looks like he’s taking a nice step forward this year.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            I saw Bliss play a couple times with Green Bay and knew Tech had a good one. He and Reitmeyer both looked really good in the NMU series. Reitmeyer looks like he’s taking a nice step forward this year.
                            It took Reitmeier awhile, but recently he has certainly picked his game up a notch and started to put together the kind of year that everyone was expecting of him.

Having seen Bliss play a couple of times this year I have to agree. When he finally puts it all together he is going to be a heck of a player.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                              This is my thinking as well. If either team can come out and score two quick ones on the team that still has bus legs, that will be it.

Wasn't Reitmeier considered a bit of a project when Mel recruited him out of (this town still makes me laugh) Flin Flon, MB?

Comment

All four teams have goaltending issues to some extent. UM has the 5th worst combined save % in the NCAA between their two guys.

The loss of Hughes and Norris to the WJC affects the skunks in a couple different ways.

One, it breaks up their top line which accounts for 42% of all their scoring. Two, it takes out their #1 faceoff guy. And three, along with that their team speed drops off substantially as a whole. Chasing the puck after you lose the draw will be an issue if the Huskies can play fast.

Usually this is where they have some taxi line guy step up and have a career weekend. They just don't appear to have a lot of candidates for that on the roster this time. I wouldn't be surprised to see former MTU commit Jake Gingell crack the lineup for just the second time this season on the blueline.

Comment

Working...
                                X