Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Gotta keep in mind this is a young team. There are a lot of freshman playing big minutes.
    If Coach Shawhan can build their confidence they will be fine. If they get beat down it will probably be a tough finish.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
      Gotta keep in mind this is a young team. There are a lot of freshman playing big minutes.
      This. I did not expect a run through the playoffs this year (though it would be nice )

Comment

Was there a series out there anywhere this weekend that had more attendance than ours. We had over 9000 for two games. Not bad.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

If anyone has heartburn over Tech's non-conference success (or lack thereof) the last few seasons, remember it could always be worse. Boston College was recently swept by ASU. With those two loses, BC has now failed to win a non-conference game in their last TWENTY-FIVE attempts.

Maybe it time for BC to consider an all-Atlantic non-conference schedule next season so they can get a win?

Ryan
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            Was there a series out there anywhere this weekend that had more attendance than ours. We had over 9000 for two games. Not bad.
            As usual, an excellent showing by Tech fans. Other than the MN schools (and I'm not including Bemidji in that), no one else comes close to bringing as many fans as Tech does.

Comment

And kudos to your goalie Matt Jurusik recognizing the veteran of the game. (Beydoun might have on Friday, if he did, I didn't see it.)

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                The marketing department was working hard on getting people there for this series. They had some pretty amazing promos both nights. Friday was a family 4 pack that got 4 tix, 4 pizza buffets at pizza ranch, 4 slices of pizza at the game, and (i think) 4 hats for $55. Saturday was $5 tickets.

Im sure it being a tech series played a big part as it was a great series to showcase on a traditionally low attendance weekend.
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Just listened to the JSH and it sounds like he's ready to start lopping off some heads again. I bet if you went back and listened about this time last year the mood was the same. I believe this is about the time the Attila the Hun story started.
                  If I remember correctly things turned around when he backed off a bit and let the guys play.
                  Unlike Coach Shawhan I don't believe everyone has to fall in the "hard" mold to be successful. Him trying to force everyone to fit his mold probably makes it harder on him. The best coaches I've seen find a way to make the types of players they have work together within their strengths, ability and personality. Build them up coach and you will be successful again this season. Beat them down and you got a long road ahead.
                  Confidence works, just need to figure how to build it. Its different for every player. Like I said last year; like it or not the days of beating guys in to submission are gone. Also you will never recruit enough hard guys to fill a team. They don't exist and it takes too long to create them; if that is even possible.
                  I guarantee you the NHL is full of whiners, complainers, soft guys and these are the best in the world. Much of their success comes from coaches who can identify what makes them tick and gets them ticking. Not trying to change them all to be the same.

Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                    Just listened to the JSH and it sounds like he's ready to start lopping off some heads again. I bet if you went back and listened about this time last year the mood was the same. I believe this is about the time the Attila the Hun story started.
                    If I remember correctly things turned around when he backed off a bit and let the guys play.
                    Unlike Coach Shawhan I don't believe everyone has to fall in the "hard" mold to be successful. Him trying to force everyone to fit his mold probably makes it harder on him. The best coaches I've seen find a way to make the types of players they have work together within their strengths, ability and personality. Build them up coach and you will be successful again this season. Beat them down and you got a long road ahead.
                    Confidence works, just need to figure how to build it. Its different for every player. Like I said last year; like it or not the days of beating guys in to submission are gone. Also you will never recruit enough hard guys to fill a team. They don't exist and it takes too long to create them; if that is even possible.
                    I guarantee you the NHL is full of whiners, complainers, soft guys and these are the best in the world. Much of their success comes from coaches who can identify what makes them tick and gets them ticking. Not trying to change them all to be the same.

Go Huskies!
                    I would add to that and it's just my opinion, but emulating Russell is not a way to a succesful career. Quite the opposite.
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I would add to that and it's just my opinion, but emulating Russell is not a way to a succesful career. Quite the opposite.
                      the point of that story wasn't that we need to be more like the Russell era, it was evidence to how important player buy-in actually is to success.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I don't think Russell deserves as much blame as he seems to get. Given the state of the entire program at the time he coached, I don't think we're able to get a real clear view on how he actually was as a coach. He was trying to field a team with a bare bones budget and tepid institutional support, and that is a tough spot to be in. Granted, I do think he made some mistakes, some of them big mistakes, but he also did many things well, and if he was given the support that Mel was, I wouldn't be surprised if he succeeded as head coach at Tech.

From what I saw, Russell's biggest issue, that was somewhat in his control, was his inability to develop players. Players plateaued in their sophomore seasons way too often, and became complacent as upper classmen. The seasons when Russell had success were ones when he had strong senior leadership, the Mike Batovanja captain season comes to mine (I believe they finished like 16 in PWR that season). The mistake Russell made here was that he didn't do a good enough job of identifying this weakness, and hiring assistant coaches to boost that deficiency. Russell was a great recruiter, he got better talent to come to Tech than it appeared on paper and stat sheets, because that talent didn't develop. Look at Russell's recruits that were able to develop under Mel's regime, they were the first Tech team to get back to the NCAA tournament, were ranked #1 in the country, etc. He also had some pretty highly touted recruits that came in, and did not flourish under him, Jordan Foote was highly regarded out of the BCHL, Shelast was a highly coveted recruit, as were Brett Olson and Ryan Furne. If Russell had made better assistant coaching hires (which, admittedly, may have been difficult with the budget constraints), that were guys that were player development focused coaches, maybe things change a bit? Of course, it is possible that even with this, the lack of budget hamstringed him to the point where he had no chance of succeeding. We'll never know for sure.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          I don't think Russell deserves as much blame as he seems to get. Given the state of the entire program at the time he coached, I don't think we're able to get a real clear view on how he actually was as a coach. He was trying to field a team with a bare bones budget and tepid institutional support, and that is a tough spot to be in. Granted, I do think he made some mistakes, some of them big mistakes, but he also did many things well, and if he was given the support that Mel was, I wouldn't be surprised if he succeeded as head coach at Tech.

From what I saw, Russell's biggest issue, that was somewhat in his control, was his inability to develop players. Players plateaued in their sophomore seasons way too often, and became complacent as upper classmen. The seasons when Russell had success were ones when he had strong senior leadership, the Mike Batovanja captain season comes to mine (I believe they finished like 16 in PWR that season). The mistake Russell made here was that he didn't do a good enough job of identifying this weakness, and hiring assistant coaches to boost that deficiency. Russell was a great recruiter, he got better talent to come to Tech than it appeared on paper and stat sheets, because that talent didn't develop. Look at Russell's recruits that were able to develop under Mel's regime, they were the first Tech team to get back to the NCAA tournament, were ranked #1 in the country, etc. He also had some pretty highly touted recruits that came in, and did not flourish under him, Jordan Foote was highly regarded out of the BCHL, Shelast was a highly coveted recruit, as were Brett Olson and Ryan Furne. If Russell had made better assistant coaching hires (which, admittedly, may have been difficult with the budget constraints), that were guys that were player development focused coaches, maybe things change a bit? Of course, it is possible that even with this, the lack of budget hamstringed him to the point where he had no chance of succeeding. We'll never know for sure.
                          If MTU had just given him the budget to keep Ian Kallay, things probably would have been different. Let's also not forget the competition MTU was playing against.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I don't lay all the blame in his lap but I will refer to it as the JR era because he was the HC at the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              If MTU had just given him the budget to keep Ian Kallay, things probably would have been different. Let's also not forget the competition MTU was playing against.
                              I do think that keeping Kallay would have definitely helped. Hard to figure out how much though. The old WCHA competition is less of a factor, in my opinion. Because, while it was a very competitive, challenging league to compete, it also was a huge selling point to recruits, and also brought in a huge chunk of money to the program. If handled correctly, the old WCHA should been a positive.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I do think that keeping Kallay would have definitely helped. Hard to figure out how much though. The old WCHA competition is less of a factor, in my opinion. Because, while it was a very competitive, challenging league to compete, it also was a huge selling point to recruits, and also brought in a huge chunk of money to the program. If handled correctly, the old WCHA should been a positive.
                                I was more discussing the combination of the school not being financially as invested as now along with stiffer competition but yes, it should have been a selling point.

Comment

Working...
                                X