Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Checkmate View Post
    Mitch Meek could help this team. He is healthy, but he is buried. Playing Kiilunen over Mitch is a joke IMO. He is arguably top four. Only one reason I can think of, TK is a walk on so if MM leaves there is another scholarship. There is a big group coming in again next year, gotta make room somehow. The players all know who is best and this flies in the face of that. Gotta play your best guys regardless of physicality, size, blah, blah, blah. Tough to keep the boys playing at a high level when you are not giving them the best team.
    I would think if Meek could help this team he would be in there unless he is one of the guys bucking the system. In that case it could be tough getting back in.
    I to thought he was top 4 coming in to this season. Actually forgot all about him. Thought he was hurt?

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

oh no! now we have "the most dangerous lead in all of college hockey"!
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I have never seen a larger load of **** than that roughing penalty
        In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

that game just sucked.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

If you ask me and I’m nobody , but our system gives the other team time of possession in our end. It’s not fun to watch either . Our guys sacrificed themselves big time tonight and got nothing for it. Our 5 on 5 defensive zone system might as well be a penalty kill as that’s how we play it .
            You have to wonder why we are trying to out BG the BG team.
            I’d much rather watch one of Mel’s teams play
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

And I don’t like the left wing lock. I don’t like the neutral zone trap either. I don’t like the Torpedo. None of those are fun to watch nor are they tickets to success in college hockey, and I certainly don’t want to return to the type of play we had under Russell which is what we are getting ready to do.
              Just my two cents.
              If we keep playing these defensive systems I’m going to go watch the Red Wings

Comment

-[QUOTE=I’d much rather watch one of Mel’s teams play[/QUOTE]

That's easy enough to do (FSN 701). But do you really want to watch a 13-15-7 team (if you move a few of those ties to the lose column you've got Tech's record). An OT loss last night has them on the edge of starting their off season too. For a 'Dream Team' of coaches and all the talent money can buy, their 'system' is as good at losing as ours.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  And I don’t like the left wing lock. I don’t like the neutral zone trap either. I don’t like the Torpedo. None of those are fun to watch nor are they tickets to success in college hockey, and I certainly don’t want to return to the type of play we had under Russell which is what we are getting ready to do.
                  Just my two cents.
                  If we keep playing these defensive systems I’m going to go watch the Red Wings
                  While I agree that these systems can lead to boring hockey. I also realize that if you can't score you better come up with something that prevents the opposition from scoring.. So prove you can put the puck in the net, and prove the D can cover man to man and then you don't need coverage upon coverage built into the 'system',

Lately the system is getting a lot of blame for lack of offense. Yet we lead the NCAA in shots on goal. We put up more shots on MnSU than anyone in a long time. We put up 60 on NMU, with 30 scoring chances... The 'system isn't to blame for not putting the puck in the net when you have the chance. The 'system' is not to blame for consistently taking dumb penalties and throwing away games late in the third...

Finally, with all the talk of systems I feel the word has simply become the convenient catch phrase. I sure wish someone would tell EXACTLY what our system is. Not a guess, not a 'I think it is'. But actually tell me who has responsibility for what coverage. Tell me where we are trying to force the puck to. Tell what F1, F2, and F3 are supposed to be doing in any specific situation. Tell me which gaps they are suppose to fill.. Yep, I thought so... no one around here can actually do that... Coaches coach, players have to execute, until we get players that execute and play with discipline expect the same results..

Go Huskies! Find a little magic tonight and extend the series tonight.

Comment

Still trying to understand the penalty on Steman with the score tied 2-2. As they reached the boards, there was motion by Steman's stick for the puck, the BG player went down, then slashed Steman. I heard talk of a cross check on the post-game show, but could not believe this call last night. Let the teams finish the game, why do the WCHA refs always feel compelled to be the difference makers. i know we were outplayed and BG was the better team, but Tech was cruising in the third and shot ourselves in the foot with the slashing penalty, but have to feel we were also having to overcome poor officiating once again.

Also, possibly a boarding on Polglaze, but a 5:00 was a total joke.
                    It was a hard hit, but nothing but a hard hit.
                    Last edited by Huskiefan906; 03-09-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I've always tries to not complain about officials. Nor do I believe one play determines the outcome of a game. But I think two poor decisions played a big role in the direction of the game. Polglaze getting 5 + game for contact that was initiated as much by LSSU as it was by him. Maybe 2 for boarding but I'd argue that too if I was standing behind the bench. The other one was Russell's slash. Stupid, undiciplined, selfish act.

Breathe in, breathe out, move on. Last night is over and the boys have to put it behind them. Play tonight as if your season depends on it, because it does!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                        Still trying to understand the penalty on Steman with the score tied 2-2. As they reached the boards, there was motion by Steman's stick for the puck, the BG player went down, then slashed Steman. I heard talk of a cross check on the post-game show, but could not believe this call last night. Let the teams finish the game, why do the WCHA refs always feel compelled to be the difference makers. i know we were outplayed and BG was the better team, but Tech was cruising in the third and shot ourselves in the foot with the slashing penalty, but have to feel we were also having to overcome poor officiating once again.

Also, possibly a boarding on Polglaze, but a 5:00 was a total joke.
                        It was a hard hit, but nothing but a hard hit.
                        The penalty on Steman was not call as they reached the boards, but on the faceoff after all the pushing and shoving. After BG won the faceoff Steman hit Johnson high. That was the penalty that was called. What the officials should have done was take two from each side and put them in the penalty box from the pushing and shoving to try to stop the nonsense. They didn't do that at that time. If they had, maybe Steman does not take the penalty.

With that said, I agree that the WCHA needs to do something with the refs. Last night's officials lost control of the game well before the third period. They are inconsistent on the five minute calls and rarely catch the player that starts the problems.
                        I think all ten teams have complaints on the refs.

Comment

I totally agree, not a team in the WCHA has not been victimized. The reason I was so curious as the call was made after the whistle at the boards. If something happened way back at the faceoff, then obviously Tech possession is needed, but thanks for clearing that up, it looked like a made up call and I wanted to get it clarified. I can go about my day a bit easier now : ) !!!!!!

Comment

My number 1 complaint with our system is that we allow the other team to get into our zone and stay there because we are not focused on taking the puck away but on some other task, so it becomes a penalty kill. IMHO you can’t let the other team have so much time in your end. It wears out the players and they are bound to score eventually as has been shown all season. I don’t think by getting bigger defensemen that will change.
                            Now yes sometimes we do outshoot people but most of those are outside shots. Second we make it relatively easy for them to come out of their end , though not all the time certainly. Bottom line I’d like for us to possess the puck more .
                            Third there are tons of teams that play defensive hockey BG being one, Quinnipiac one, Clarkson etc. but I think I emulating them is a mistake and I think when it gets to being a contest of who bangs the hardest and the most often it’s not fun to watch.
                            Now yes last night. I didn’t think the shove on Johnson at the face-off was all that big a deal. . but the ref did. I believe it was payback for something Johnson had done a shift or two before hand to someone else.

Comment

After starting the scuffle at the end of the game, BG senior Stephen Baylis reportedly has a broken wrist and will be out for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                                After starting the scuffle at the end of the game, BG senior Stephen Baylis reportedly has a broken wrist and will be out for the rest of the season.
                                That's a shame. Hope Tech wins the next 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X