This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    hahaha I WISH I could be that cool....oh wait, of course I put that in there for a reason....(coming from a person who really had no clue about that nickname...until tonight watching it )
    Nice ceremony for Nifty at the Garden last night. Loved the video clips of him deeking everyone on the way to the net for his goals; no way he could do that in today's game, especially not wearing a helmet when practically everyone else was.

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Also Dan, you were going to do a take on Providence, still up for that? I know they will be tough...but we usually manage to do something with them.
      Providence is big, fast and physical. I thought they played really well in Denver, despite managing just a tie and a loss against the Pioneers. On Friday night, they seemed content to play on the perimeter - putting up 40-some shots on goal but with no real following of rebounds or chances around the crease. Saturday, they made a committed effort to attack the goal and scored four times near the doorstep. They're very responsible, turning tough defense and goaltending into transition offense and when they follow their shots and play physical around the goal they're really dangerous. They have to play that way because their forward group is much more of a pro-style, north-south unit.

They don't have a lot of shifty, typical college type standout offensive players - at least not so much in the older ranks of Bjorkqvist, Wilkins, Duhaime, etc. Which is not to imply these forwards don't have good hands and stick skills because they certainly do. They also have great depth of offensive talent with players like Conway and Printz, who was really good in Denver (recruited out of Maryland - Printz jumps out at me as a guy who might be at UNH if Borek had stayed). The wildcards offensively for the Friars are the FR - Dugan is their leading scorer and was silent on Friday before a big night on Saturday. First round pick O'Brien has yet to score a point (battling injuries) but man is he a talent - he is the shifty, ever dangerous type and when he gets healthy and figures it out he'll be a constant threat. It would be a bad sign for UNH if that was this weekend. Thompson is not his brother, but is a very strong player in his own right. The upperclassmen are consistently steady and dangerous, if the FR play well PC is tough to beat.

Defensively, they move the puck really well with guys like Bryson, Young, Mirageas and Callahan. Callahan suffered a pretty ugly injury in Denver, but is supposed to play - keep an eye on him, because he may not be able to move as well as he usually does. Desharnais is a tower but a pretty weak skater. He plays a lot of minutes, Id hope UNH attacks him on the rush as much as possible. He has a long reach, but he's the type of defenseman Watcher actively hopes we avoid and I agree. Bryson is all over the offense for PC. Young, Mirageas and Callahan are all really good two-way players. Mirageas seems to have lost a bit of impact this year and his odds of making the WJC team seem to be slipping...

Hawkey is really a well-rounded goaltender. If PC plays well in front of him, he's really tough to beat. You have to hope they struggle and that he wont still steal the game for them. It could be a much tougher weekend for UNH goal scoring than last weekend turned out to be - especially with a couple of key forwards missing.

Honestly, I'd be positively surprised if UNH picks up any points this weekend if PC looks like the team they were last weekend - especially last Saturday. They're very good. UNH has played PC well in recent years - stylistically they match up well when the Friars skate how they did last Friday (lots of pressure, few truly dangerous chances created). Still, even a single win would be a big step forward and a great sign for the Wildcats. Not the positive, momentum sustaining review I'm sure everyone was hoping for after last weekend, but the Friars may be for real. A disappointing weekend (of results) in Denver will only make PC an even tougher opponent...
      Last edited by Dan; 11-30-2018, 09:49 AM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Providence is big, fast and physical. I thought they played really well in Denver, despite managing just a tie and a loss against the Pioneers. On Friday night, they seemed content to play on the perimeter - putting up 40-some shots on goal but with no real following of rebounds or chances around the crease. Saturday, they made a committed effort to attack the goal and scored four times near the doorstep. They're very responsible, turning tough defense and goaltending into transition offense and when they follow their shots and play physical around the goal they're really dangerous. They have to play that way because their forward group is much more of a pro-style, north-south unit.

They don't have a lot of shifty, typical college type standout offensive players - at least not so much in the older ranks of Bjorkqvist, Wilkins, Duhaime, etc. Which is not to imply these forwards don't have good hands and stick skills because they certainly do. They also have great depth of offensive talent with players like Conway and Printz, who was really good in Denver (recruited out of Maryland - Printz jumps out at me as a guy who might be at UNH if Borek had stayed). The wildcards offensively for the Friars are the FR - Dugan is their leading scorer and was silent on Friday before a big night on Saturday. First round pick O'Brien has yet to score a point (battling injuries) but man is he a talent - he is the shifty, ever dangerous type and when he gets healthy and figures it out he'll be a constant threat. It would be a bad sign for UNH if that was this weekend. Thompson is not his brother, but is a very strong player in his own right. The upperclassmen are consistently steady and dangerous, if the FR play well PC is tough to beat.

Defensively, they move the puck really well with guys like Bryson, Young, Mirageas and Callahan. Callahan suffered a pretty ugly injury in Denver, but is supposed to play - keep an eye on him, because he may not be able to move as well as he usually does. Desharnais is a tower but a pretty weak skater. He plays a lot of minutes, Id hope UNH attacks him on the rush as much as possible. He has a long reach, but he's the type of defenseman Watcher actively hopes we avoid and I agree. Bryson is all over the offense for PC. Young, Mirageas and Callahan are all really good two-way players. Mirageas seems to have lost a bit of impact this year and his odds of making the WJC team seem to be slipping...

Hawkey is really a well-rounded goaltender. If PC plays well in front of him, he's really tough to beat. You have to hope they struggle and that he wont still steal the game for them. It could be a much tougher weekend for UNH goal scoring than last weekend turned out to be - especially with a couple of key forwards missing.

Honestly, I'd be positively surprised if UNH picks up any points this weekend if PC looks like the team they were last weekend - especially last Saturday. They're very good. UNH has played PC well in recent years - stylistically they match up well when the Friars skate how they did last Friday (lots of pressure, few truly dangerous chances created). Still, even a single win would be a big step forward and a great sign for the Wildcats. Not the positive, momentum sustaining review I'm sure everyone was hoping for after last weekend, but the Friars may be for real. A disappointing weekend (of results) in Denver will only make PC an even tougher opponent...
        Thanks for the info...PC is a well coached team that usually has all the pieces they need to compete and compete well with anyone. Would love to get some points but know the task ahead! Let's Go 'Cats!! Snively65 maybe see you at Libby's...gotta get there by 5 really to get a seat anywhere...I will bring the T shirt hopefully so you can have that prize...
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Nice ceremony for Nifty at the Garden last night. Loved the video clips of him deeking everyone on the way to the net for his goals; no way he could do that in today's game, especially not wearing a helmet when practically everyone else was.
          That was enjoyable wasn't it. I was just a Senior in high school in 1976. Wasn't following Bruins hockey then but knew of them of course, esp Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito. The high school I attended used to take trips from Littleton to Montreal to see the B's v. Habs. We'd get dropped off and told "see you at the Forum and behave yourself" which meant underage drinking galore! (for some mind you...) Remember not even having a clue what I was really watching went for the atmosphere and the fun of roaming the city. Can't believe they didn't wear helmets then, and, the goal tending certainly has evolved like the rest of the game!! Good times...

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
            Hey Guys......love the dedication from everyone, no matter their course of trying to right the ship! I am fully behind Dan Enders and Coach Souza trying to engage the Alumni and solve our current situation....While I haven't partaken in any of these discussions yet, I have been talking with some of my former teammates regarding what we should be attempting to bring UNH back to where we should be, in the National discussion, and seen as a team no one wants to play!! Recently, we had dinner at Libby's and then went to the Miami game...….attendance was 1600? Yes students on vacation but it was a team that would've sold out the Whitt in years past.....
            To try and be brief, and I'm sure you'll let me know how and what you think on this idea, we basically are ****ed that kids come to the Boston area and look at BC, BU, Lowell, and Providence without ever coming to look at (yes, I am biased) the beauty of the UNH campus! How do we get top prospects to visit? A couple of my dinner-mates travel the world finding talent for their respective hockey clubs.....they KNOW who and what is available for top prospects...ALL ages, all leagues! So let's agree that Coach Souza is willing to go and sit in these prospects living rooms.....the problem is $$$$. Will UNH give him and his staff the money to go to Europe, BC, Canada, or Russia for a couple of weeks to find these kids? It will take some serious cash that I'm not sure UNH will pony up......Have the Friends group got that cash or donors with it for a month on the road? Then, do they have the means to get said recruits and family (father or mother) here for a visit? You get my drift.....but realize this isn't a small issue, it takes serious and long term commitment...…..if we could get a couple of decent recruits, the 12, 13 and 14 year old, see and hear the UNH brand, see the colors worn by family members and maybe we establish ourselves...….like we did in Sarnia and Petrolia, and other places previously.....

That's the gist of our discussions......obviously, there is a lot more to be done but if we do not get these quality, top notch players to campus so they see UNH, what other avenues will give us the best building materials needed? Cheers....
            Hey Neil. Lot of good thoughts and questions there. I'll respond to a couple of them. First, attendance, which I think has been inflated the last few years, is a function of how you're playing. Back in the late 80s when UNH stunk, I can recall attending gams where there might be 1500 or 2000 in the stands, with few students. I will say that attendance throughout college hockey is down. None of the Boston schools draw well, Maine doesn't sell out nor does Minnesota. There are exceptions of course but I'd say that, overall, the dip in attendance has been a function of the product on the ice. There are still many great players playing college hockey but, unlike the past when guys like Krog, Gionta, Drury, Montgomery and the like would play for four years then turn pro, now they turn pro after one or two years. Can't say as I blame them since the money is there but it has reduced the quality level of the sport. It also exacerbates the disconnect between player and fan. Kid comes in as a freshman, gets his feet wet after a month or so, the fans start to embrace him and then, two months later is gone never to be seen again. You can't build up fan loyalty to a player or a team, if the key guys on the roster are changing every couple of years.

As for money, as you know well, UNH has never been a big spender when it comes to hockey. Back in your day it was a wonder that they could keep up with the Minnesotas and Wisconsins of the world. It's not that dire now but I'd be willing to bet that UNH's hockey budget is among the lowest in Hockey East and probably the country. They don't have the assets of some schools like those in the Big Ten, but they surely should be competitive with UMass or Maine budget wise. What is the likelihood that this is the case? As for the Friends, in the 20 years I was on the board membership ups and down were mostly a function of the fortunes of the team. Membership grew at a rapid pace after the Whit opened and well into the mid-aughts because the team was very successful. It started to drop after that, how much it is now I wouldn't hazard a guess. Regardless of how much money the Friends take in, how it is spent is really out of their hands. The FOH was melded in to the athletic department years ago, per NCAA requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              There are exceptions of course but I'd say that, overall, the dip in attendance has been a function of the product on the ice.
              I'm sorry, but I have to COMPLETELY disagree with that statement. First of all, you say that attendance is "down" everywhere. So are you saying everyone is "bad?" Why isn't attendance good for teams that are winning also?

Based on what I see and the games I attend, here are just two examples: The Beanpot is down and the Hockey East Tournament is down. Now (with the exception of Notre Dame who brought virtually no fans), are you saying that ALL of these teams are "bad?" Or are you going by "quality" and not the team's record? And if so, how are you objectively quantifying "quality?"

Personally, my belief is that millennials don't seem to care about attending live events. They live in a virtual world. I am constantly seeing them with their heads stuck in their phones (when they ARE at a game) or taking selfies of themselves and their friends and then posting them on social media. There is too much competition for the entertainment dollar today, especially in the cities. And now with technology, even if you are in a rural "outpost," you don't have to "go anywhere" for entertainment. You can download it.

This is not to be critical of anyone. It's just the way the world is today. But to say that it's due to the "product on the ice" I feel is grossly inaccurate.

Comment

I do not "completely disagree" with Greg's statement, as who wants to spend money and time watching a crummy team, when as chickod notes there are so many other things to compete for one's time. Two very good complementary posts by Greg and chickod, IMHO.

Comment

Anyone venturing down to Schneider tonight? My daughter and I are, last time we went a few years back my car broke down at a Providence gas station and had to be towed back to NH by AAA, fun times. Hopefully things go a bit more smoothly tonight, and dare I hope for a UNH upset?
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                    Anyone venturing down to Schneider tonight? My daughter and I are, last time we went a few years back my car broke down at a Providence gas station and had to be towed back to NH by AAA, fun times. Hopefully things go a bit more smoothly tonight, and dare I hope for a UNH upset?
                    Hopefully it's not 'get a free bell and ring it like crazy' night (nothing personal PC fans!) like last year...I usually go but not this year. Watching some ECHL at Manchvegas. Probably the UNH v PC game would be better...haha. Hey we've beaten them before down there...it could happen...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Hey we've beaten them before down there...it could happen...
                      Let's hope. FWIW, I did witness one the best college hockey fights I've even seen down there (not that I'm a fan of or encourage fighting). Basically became a bench clearing brawl at the end of game handshake, it was definitely something to see!
                      GO BLUE!

Comment

Hey Neil. Lot of good thoughts and questions there. I'll respond to a couple of them. First, attendance, which I think has been inflated the last few years, is a function of how you're playing. Back in the late 80s when UNH stunk, I can recall attending gams where there might be 1500 or 2000 in the stands, with few students. I will say that attendance throughout college hockey is down. None of the Boston schools draw well, Maine doesn't sell out nor does Minnesota. There are exceptions of course but I'd say that, overall, the dip in attendance has been a function of the product on the ice. There are still many great players playing college hockey but, unlike the past when guys like Krog, Gionta, Drury, Montgomery and the like would play for four years then turn pro, now they turn pro after one or two years. Can't say as I blame them since the money is there but it has reduced the quality level of the sport. It also exacerbates the disconnect between player and fan. Kid comes in as a freshman, gets his feet wet after a month or so, the fans start to embrace him and then, two months later is gone never to be seen again. You can't build up fan loyalty to a player or a team, if the key guys on the roster are changing every couple of years.
                        Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        I'm sorry, but I have to COMPLETELY disagree with that statement. First of all, you say that attendance is "down" everywhere. So are you saying everyone is "bad?" Why isn't attendance good for teams that are winning also?

Based on what I see and the games I attend, here are just two examples: The Beanpot is down and the Hockey East Tournament is down. Now (with the exception of Notre Dame who brought virtually no fans), are you saying that ALL of these teams are "bad?" Or are you going by "quality" and not the team's record? And if so, how are you objectively quantifying "quality?"

Personally, my belief is that millennials don't seem to care about attending live events. They live in a virtual world. I am constantly seeing them with their heads stuck in their phones (when they ARE at a game) or taking selfies of themselves and their friends and then posting them on social media. There is too much competition for the entertainment dollar today, especially in the cities. And now with technology, even if you are in a rural "outpost," you don't have to "go anywhere" for entertainment. You can download it.

This is not to be critical of anyone. It's just the way the world is today. But to say that it's due to the "product on the ice" I feel is grossly inaccurate.
                        I'm going to add a third log to the fire, in addition to the comments highlighted above, which I agree are compelling arguments for the reasons behind the current state of college hockey. How about, "incompetence at the highest levels of NCAA D-1 hockey?" Sure, D-1 hockey has been a poor second cousin behind NCAA D-1 hoops since the middle of the previous century, and while that gap has over time fluctuated, I don't think the gap has ever been as wide as it is now. When ESPN first entered the picture 40 years ago, they made a choice to go after college hoops for ample content reasons to provide cheap but compelling sports entertainment. I'm not sure if a visionary college hockey contemporary to the Big East's Dave Gavitt might have turned the trick - and I do believe that Hockey East was founded to somewhat mimic the approach of exploiting and expanding the best regional rivalries to grow the league's visibility, and turn that into financial success over the airwaves/via cable, and secondly in the stands. The timing certainly speaks for itself.

The first 20 years of Hockey East were arguably the pinnacle of D-1 Hockey in the Eastern region, which of course is attached to the potential big dollar media decisions. The product overall was terrific, and in addition to the BC-BU rivalry and the annual magic of the Beanpot, there was the promise of the explosive UMaine-UNH border war, the local Merrimack-Lowell tussle at what was then the other end of the standings, an emerging new State U program in Amherst, a 3rd wheel in Boston (Northeastern) and a Providence program which also enjoyed early competitive success in the new league. There were coaching personalities galore, not the least of which was the guy playing fast and loose with the rules up in Orono. But Joe Bertagna was not Dave Gavitt. And Bertagna is still in charge, and no one in the conference seems all that troubled by the backwards momentum across the league over the last decade or so.

Listen, I understand, it's difficult coming into a hockey forum and saying that hoops may be a more saleable product, at least from a media perspective. I have to concede that may well be the case. Hockey as a live competitive spectacle arguably has no peer, and we hear and read that from so many newbies who see their first hockey game live and in person. The problem is, getting folks' attention in the first place to explore further was never an easy proposition for a sport that's been at the bottom of the "Big Four" team sports in North America in perpetuity, and may be in the process of being passed by soccer over the next decade as we speak.

I've always felt that the pieces are there in place for Hockey East to lead the way for college hockey's emergence as something more comparable to D-1 hoops. Certainly, this area and the upper Midwest are best positioned. But Hockey East does not have a program which compels viewing in NYC. There is no "hook" either for larger markets like Philly or Baltimore/DC. And everyone who matters in any decision-making capacity in Hockey East is a Boston person. BU and BC continue to dominate the D-1 hockey universe, even when one (or both) might be having an off-year(s). I don't see anyone with a huge driving motivation to upset that applecart.

I don't see a lot of incentive anywhere in the college sports world to make me think any of this is imminent. I wish I felt differently, and I hope to be proven wrong. From the standpoint of the schools, I suspect athletics revenue is a secondary issue behind keeping their schools in good graces to sustain the ongoing federal subsidies that keep them awash with educational revenue, then building more residences to spin further profits on the "hospitality" front. Many probably feel that pushing Hockey at the expense of its other more profitable sports option (hoops) is as worthless as robbing Peter to pay Paul. And when a school like UNH sits on its hands for a decade-plus, ceding large swaths of its fanbase/territory to a minor league pro hockey team … it's hard not to conclude otherwise.

The market has changed, so I agree with Chickod. The product has changed, so I agree with Greg.

Other things have not changed, and it's really those things that would need to change … but won't.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          I'm going to add a third log to the fire, in addition to the comments highlighted above, which I agree are compelling arguments for the reasons behind the current state of college hockey. How about, "incompetence at the highest levels of NCAA D-1 hockey?" Sure, D-1 hockey has been a poor second cousin behind NCAA D-1 hoops since the middle of the previous century, and while that gap has over time fluctuated, I don't think the gap has ever been as wide as it is now. When ESPN first entered the picture 40 years ago, they made a choice to go after college hoops for ample content reasons to provide cheap but compelling sports entertainment. I'm not sure if a visionary college hockey contemporary to the Big East's Dave Gavitt might have turned the trick - and I do believe that Hockey East was founded to somewhat mimic the approach of exploiting and expanding the best regional rivalries to grow the league's visibility, and turn that into financial success over the airwaves/via cable, and secondly in the stands. The timing certainly speaks for itself.

The first 20 years of Hockey East were arguably the pinnacle of D-1 Hockey in the Eastern region, which of course is attached to the potential big dollar media decisions. The product overall was terrific, and in addition to the BC-BU rivalry and the annual magic of the Beanpot, there was the promise of the explosive UMaine-UNH border war, the local Merrimack-Lowell tussle at what was then the other end of the standings, an emerging new State U program in Amherst, a 3rd wheel in Boston (Northeastern) and a Providence program which also enjoyed early competitive success in the new league. There were coaching personalities galore, not the least of which was the guy playing fast and loose with the rules up in Orono. But Joe Bertagna was not Dave Gavitt. And Bertagna is still in charge, and no one in the conference seems all that troubled by the backwards momentum across the league over the last decade or so.

Listen, I understand, it's difficult coming into a hockey forum and saying that hoops may be a more saleable product, at least from a media perspective. I have to concede that may well be the case. Hockey as a live competitive spectacle arguably has no peer, and we hear and read that from so many newbies who see their first hockey game live and in person. The problem is, getting folks' attention in the first place to explore further was never an easy proposition for a sport that's been at the bottom of the "Big Four" team sports in North America in perpetuity, and may be in the process of being passed by soccer over the next decade as we speak.

I've always felt that the pieces are there in place for Hockey East to lead the way for college hockey's emergence as something more comparable to D-1 hoops. Certainly, this area and the upper Midwest are best positioned. But Hockey East does not have a program which compels viewing in NYC. There is no "hook" either for larger markets like Philly or Baltimore/DC. And everyone who matters in any decision-making capacity in Hockey East is a Boston person. BU and BC continue to dominate the D-1 hockey universe, even when one (or both) might be having an off-year(s). I don't see anyone with a huge driving motivation to upset that applecart.

I don't see a lot of incentive anywhere in the college sports world to make me think any of this is imminent. I wish I felt differently, and I hope to be proven wrong. From the standpoint of the schools, I suspect athletics revenue is a secondary issue behind keeping their schools in good graces to sustain the ongoing federal subsidies that keep them awash with educational revenue, then building more residences to spin further profits on the "hospitality" front. Many probably feel that pushing Hockey at the expense of its other more profitable sports option (hoops) is as worthless as robbing Peter to pay Paul. And when a school like UNH sits on its hands for a decade-plus, ceding large swaths of its fanbase/territory to a minor league pro hockey team … it's hard not to conclude otherwise.

The market has changed, so I agree with Chickod. The product has changed, so I agree with Greg.

Other things have not changed, and it's really those things that would need to change … but won't.

Agree with many things here but other factors as well
                          I want Quinnipiac to be the 12th team in Hockey east as it brings it closer to New York
                          Has already broadcast some games on SNY in New York

tonight and tomorrow will be first time I can remember that BC_BU regular season games have not sold out
                          Although both having poor seasons this is not primary reason
                          Student body composition has changed at both schools
                          When I went to BU (admittedly a long time ago) 62% of students were from Massachusetts (now 18%)
                          TV reduces at home attendance even among paid ticket holders
                          Both schools season ticket holders have a very high average age and losing a portion each year

Even promotion is not helping. BC had a half page ad in Globe yesterday promoting BC game SAT and basketball vs Prov on Tuesday
                          This is not an issue limited to hockey
                          College football attendance is down nationally

For those of us who want college hockey to succeed there are no easy answers
                          The NCAA keeps calling me asking why I have not bought tickets to finals in Buffalo this year

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Did you mean Lou Lamoriello not Dave Gavitt. Gavitt was Big East
                            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post

You better reread my post. My main point regarding attendance all over college hockey is the fact that the great players don’t stick around for more than a year or two. Last year BU lost a half dozen kids off the team from a year before. Couple that with the fact that a lot of elite kids now don’t even play college but go to major juniors instead means that college hockey has been impacted. I’m not going to get into millennials bashing because I have zero knowledge of what makes today’s 20 year olds tick but from just observing attendance at the Whit I would say the biggest drop off has been adults, empty nesters and young families with kids. These people have entertainment dollars to spend and it appears more and more have found other places to spend them.

Comment

You better reread my post. My main point regarding attendance all over college hockey is the fact that the great players don’t stick around for more than a year or two. Last year BU lost a half dozen kids off the team from a year before. Couple that with the fact that a lot of elite kids now don’t even play college but go to major juniors instead means that college hockey has been impacted. I’m not going to get into millennials bashing because I have zero knowledge of what makes today’s 20 year olds tick but from just observing attendance at the Whit I would say the biggest drop off has been adults, empty nesters and young families with kids. These people have entertainment dollars to spend and it appears more and more have found other places to spend them.
                                Ticket prices are a factor as well. Saturday vs. Providence bench seats for a family of four are $56, a significant increase from the good old days.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X