This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Souza has to play him tomorrow night....
    As a long time proponent of a rotation - it may be getting to that point. Taylor has been solid, with the exception of the CC start, and done nothing to really play his way out of a rotation, BUT Robinson has been spectacular. It will be an interesting decision - and a case could be made either way...

If I had to guess - I'd think you might get your wish...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      And, BvR answers with first UNH SHG in what, five years?
      Ok, I guess that this post did not exaggerate enough? Actually, our last SHG was almost two years ago, on 30 December 2016 at the Whitt, scored by Shane Yzerman, at 9:02 in the first to put the Cats up 2-1 against the Black Bears, in a game that the Cats would go on to win 6-4, with Tyk and Salvaggio each notching two goals and two assists.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        12-1-0 UMass plays tonight in front of 7,000+ fans - unwise to suggest winning won't attract much larger crowds. There can be other reasons with out dismissing this, the biggest...
        C'mon, man. You cherry pick one game involving the BEST team that UMass has ever had to prove your point? We're talking about a multi-year downward trend in not only hockey, but many other college sports in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Ok, I guess that this post did not exaggerate enough? Actually, our last SHG was almost two years ago, on 30 December 2016 at the Whitt, scored by Shane Yzerman, at 9:02 in the first to put the Cats up 2-1 against the Black Bears, in a game that the Cats would go on to win 6-4, with Tyk and Salvaggio each notching two goals and two assists.
          Ah yes I remember this game. It was actually the game in Manch and not at the Whitt, I can still see Eiserman getting that shorthanded breakaway.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
            C'mon, man. You cherry pick one game involving the BEST team that UMass has ever had to prove your point? We're talking about a multi-year downward trend in not only hockey, but many other college sports in general.
            So the winningest UMass team draws the biggest crowds? Why would I dismiss that?

I have ZERO interest in arguing whether or not (or why) crowds will ever (never) be as big as they used to be - yes, there are a number of reasons. I'll leave that debate to you and the others...

I'm much more interested in how UNH can have larger crowds than they currently host. And while there are a number of reasons there too, the losing IS the biggest factor. It just is. The presence of other factors doesn't diminish that fact...

UNH winning again may not result in sellouts and long season-ticket waiting lists. If it results in 5,000 instead of 2-3,000 (actual fans in seats) that sure works for me. We're not having the same argument.

Once they start winning they can worry about the other factors. Though facing reality on prices could start now too, since that's the second biggest factor IMO...
            Last edited by Dan; 11-30-2018, 11:10 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
              Ah yes I remember this game. It was actually the game in Manch and not at the Whitt, I can still see Eiserman getting that shorthanded breakaway.
              Cool that you were there; I was in Hanover watching my other team get thumped 7-1 that night.

Comment

The Friday trek to Providence is the toughest Yo-Yo road trip we face making the result even more impressive. Providence is in a bit of a slump. Dare we hope for a win tonight?

Winning will definitely increase attendance, not to the what it was 15 years ago unless maybe we make it to multiple FFs and doubtful even then. UMass is a bit of an outlier. This is the first significant success they've had and there is (((nothing))) other than UMass sports in the area.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  The Friday trek to Providence is the toughest Yo-Yo road trip we face making the result even more impressive. Providence is in a bit of a slump. Dare we hope for a win tonight?

Winning will definitely increase attendance, not to the what it was 15 years ago unless maybe we make it to multiple FFs and doubtful even then. UMass is a bit of an outlier. This is the first significant success they've had and there is (((nothing))) other than UMass sports in the area.
                  Div 1 AIC Yellowjackets just down the road in Springfield; buzzzzzz!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post

...And considering we did that last night in what I consider a tough place to play (anyplace hanging a banner is a tough place to play in my book ) without 4 much needed players! Remembering last season when Richey Boyd hit that slammer from the point and that stood up for a 1-0 win...we always keep it tight with PC and I'd esp. love to beat them at home! I'm sure PC is going to bring it tonight and hope we do, as well. Let's go 'Cats!!
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      The Friday trek to Providence is the toughest Yo-Yo road trip we face making the result even more impressive.
                      Sorry, Darius … a two hour trip to Providence isn't exactly Purple Heart stuff. It's considered pretty routine elsewhere in D-1 beyond the friendly confines of HE. I think we're all pleased about the result, and hope the team can keep things rolling (three unbeaten, right?) tonight in Durham. No need for the extra frosting.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Remembering last season when Richey Boyd hit that slammer from the point and that stood up for a 1-0 win...we always keep it tight with PC and I'd esp. love to beat them at home
                        Yeah, funny, I was thinking about that one too. Last high quality W for the UNH Hockey program, one year later.

More on that from this corner of the universe, after the weekend's over ...
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Stole this from C-H-C on twitter...gotta love the assist by Blackburn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Qw...ature=youtu.be

Ok...gotta roll up the sleeves because tonight is going to be a big one. I don't really care who starts in goal...but I'm thinking Robinson. Either way...let's goooo 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Yeah, funny, I was thinking about that one too. Last high quality W for the UNH Hockey program, one year later.

More on that from this corner of the universe, after the weekend's over ...
                            ….dare I say WIS productions are up to something? BTW...last night watched Walshy's son Travis play for the Monarchs...

Comment

I would think Souza will be starting Robinson tonight. A conference game and he played so well last night. Next weekend look for Robinson and Taylor to each play in one game against Dartmouth.

I feel the number one concern for the team right now is their defense. Boyd was injured last night. Is he able to play this evening? If he can not play tonight then we are down three defensemen (Maass, Dawson and Boyd). The other five defensemen will have to play a lot of minutes. Hickey's first collegiate game was last night. I am sure it was the fastest game he has ever played in. It will be interesting to see how the coaches play the defensemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Dorn View Post
                                I would think Souza will be starting Robinson tonight. A conference game and he played so well last night. Next weekend look for Robinson and Taylor to each play in one game against Dartmouth.

I feel the number one concern for the team right now is their defense. Boyd was injured last night. Is he able to play this evening? If he can not play tonight then we are down three defensemen (Maass, Dawson and Boyd). The other five defensemen will have to play a lot of minutes. Hickey's first collegiate game was last night. I am sure it was the fastest game he has ever played in. It will be interesting to see how the coaches play the defensemen.
                                Could be they might have to call up a recruit? I mean...we've done that before (Tirone). Heard that Max played a ton of mins last night; he will tonight as well. Heard Hickey held his own for the most part; and, I'll bet it was the fastest game he ever played in! Who else do they have to pull in for dmen? Any one on the bench that can play that position? Injuries are tough...go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X