X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Coach spoke at the FOH meeting and fielded some pretty tough questions (ones we wanted the reporters to ask) and gave honest and direct answers about the play of the team and other things. It doesn’t get any easier from here so hopefully these two games help us prepare for what’s to come...
    Do tell, please ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Obviously a disappointing ending, but it was encouraging to see signs of the (re)emergence of a UNH transition offense. As a former boss of mine used to say, "I'd like to see more of it."

Comment

At Friends event MS was asked about Engaras. No significant revelations. NCAA ruled (no details), we didn’t care for their conclusion and have appealed. Hope to hear on the appeal this week. Did you glean anything more, Ref?
        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
          At Friends event MS was asked about Engaras. No significant revelations. NCAA ruled (no details), we didn’t care for their conclusion and have appealed. Hope to hear on the appeal this week. Did you glean anything more, Ref?
          That’s about right regarding the Engaras situation and he answered q’s about whether or not UNH would rely more on one goalie than another. Taylor’s start today was planned and he felt both goalies played very well this weekend. A few other things about how the new coaching staff was doing together. Loved his support to his DMan which garnered applause.

Good post Earl about how the team looked tonight...esp Pierson the kid is alright! Think we saw what they are trying to do with them regarding pushing the puck so hopefully they continue to build on the weekend.
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-11-2018, 12:13 AM.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Remember this weekend if we miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points. Very disappointing.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
              Remember this weekend if we miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points. Very disappointing.
              Well it stings for sure...4th game this season to lose by one. They are just going to have to learn how to win those games and that’s a mentality that I don’t believe can be taught...only learned by doing.

When you are playing so many newbies (who are doing a great job) that’s a lesson that comes down the road I guess...Leadership is very important going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Sigh that was a tough way to lose but I think we had our chances and there were some good things out of this night and weekend. Nice to answer with a couple of goals and that 2 on 1 was very well executed.

Coach spoke at the FOH meeting and fielded some pretty tough questions (ones we wanted the reporters to ask) and gave honest and direct answers about the play of the team and other things. It doesn’t get any easier from here so hopefully these two games help us prepare for what’s to come...
                Did anyone ask his thoughts on the game winner and the lack of hussle by Gildon? Just watched the replay and he definitely quit on the play.

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post
                  Did anyone ask his thoughts on the game winner and the lack of hussle by Gildon? Just watched the replay and he definitely quit on the play.
                  Someone else can answer that...

Comment

Not exactly. The comment on the winner was along the lines of “they made one more play than we did.” Not quite the way I would describe the game. I kind of figured the difference would be talent, and it was on display on the winner. MS commented that Bowers is a first round pick. I was pleased they were able to force the overtime. UNH kids are playing hard, they just don’t have a lot of skill. Might be the slowest team I’ve seen. Multiple occasions that would have been breakaways or odd man rushes in the past, but these guys get overtaken by the blue line.

The Gildon question that was asked was basically why not move Max to forward, that seems to be where he wants to play. MS responds that in the NHL today most offense is initiated from the blue line, I wish had more Maxes. Then he conceded that Max needs to work on his defensive details.
                    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      Not exactly. The comment on the winner was along the lines of “they made one more play than we did.” Not quite the way I would describe the game. I kind of figured the difference would be talent, and it was on display on the winner. MS commented that Bowers is a first round pick. I was pleased they were able to force the overtime. UNH kids are playing hard, they just don’t have a lot of skill. Might be the slowest team I’ve seen. Multiple occasions that would have been breakaways or odd man rushes in the past, but these guys get overtaken by the blue line.

The Gildon question that was asked was basically why not move Max to forward, that seems to be where he wants to play. MS responds that in the NHL today most offense is initiated from the blue line, I wish had more Maxes. Then he conceded that Max needs to work on his defensive details.
                      Attaboy great answer I knew you’d say it much better than I!! 😉
                      Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-11-2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        It was very disappointing! Didnt see the UML game but last night I thought UNH played well especially in the 3rd. Very thin line between winning and losing these days. Thought UNH battled and the effort was there.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Haha well the intention was there! Fun to see you tonight sir have a nice Thanksgiving holiday!!
                          Great to see you also. Sorry I missed 65. I looked for you guys and then got caught up with my old STH mates! Happy thurkey day!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            Great to see you also. Sorry I missed 65. I looked for you guys and then got caught up with my old STH mates! Happy thurkey day!
                            Sorry that I missed you, too, e.cat. But, no, I did not finish the half full bottle of Bud Lite that you left behind; bletch! :-)

Agree with much of what Darius and ATW wrote earlier about the Friday night game, and some of what Aerman wrote about last night's game. But, I do not agree that the team overall is slow, as I saw a lot good fast transition through the neutral zone, but agree that our breakaways usually get overhauled. Nice exception was the nifty pass that Kelleher made on the 2 on 1 breakaway to assist on second goal last night. Yes, Gildon might be better suited on a forward line, as I think that he is perhaps our worst blue liner defensively. I think that Souza should sit him for a game after that cough up on the PP in OT. Maybe he was gassed, but no excuse for that horrible play.

Comment

• Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Yup, definitely best player on a bad team, which is what makes his defensive lapses so maddening.

Comment

Working...
                                X