X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH 2018-19: Souza The Opportunity

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    The November 18th Amherst rematch is on NESN+ !!!
    Good to know that's a bit of a hike from where I live (what? I drove to Yale ). Was thinking of going down now I'll prob stay home and watch on the tube...
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      The concern is balancing forward push with team defense. Cover a few loose puck rebounds and the tone of Saturday's game is quite different. Looking at the likes of Wyse, Maas, Gildon, Boyd... this is more of a concern than it should be.
      I guess for me, its more about the forwards. I want to see them picking up loose pucks, turning and going. I want to see them moving their feet across the blue line and skating hard to the net - both with and without the puck. I want to see UNH score goals and possess pucks. Give the D a little time to relax...

I agree that the defense was pretty bad on Saturday. Certainly around the net and especially Gildon, who I give high-praise when he's playing well. That said, I think defense and goaltending will remain the strength of the team moving forward and that these guys have played pretty well overall (So far UNH is middle of the pack in scoring defense, but 50th in scoring offense). In defense of Wyse, Gilson and Maass they are playing A LOT. Far more than their share of even minutes and every PK or PP. It is a lot to ask and, for the most part, I think they handle it well. They do need to be more consistent and tighten up around the goal...
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Jeff Lerg! Arrrggghhhh! Ended our 2005-2006 season in a 1-0 shut out, all 5'6" of him, in his freshman year, co-leading the Spartans to a rare double hockey NC.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Jeff Lerg! Arrrggghhhh! Ended our 2005-2006 season in a 1-0 shut out, all 5'6" of him, in his freshman year, co-leading the Spartans to a rare double hockey NC.
          And it was early in the first period wasn't it. Knife to the heart, but remember thinking 2 things. Weak blue liner, soft came to mind, but hey it is early with plenty of time to get on track. Not that day! MS had their Spartan there, tons of fans.....just terrible!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
            The concern is balancing forward push with team defense. Cover a few loose puck rebounds and the tone of Saturday's game is quite different. Looking at the likes of Wyse, Maas, Gildon, Boyd... this is more of a concern than it should be.
            The defensive play in their own end was terrible. The first three guys you mention are supposedly the best players on the team. They didn’t show it against UMass. Offensively they and their teammates didn’t do much either. If what I saw was good effort, I shudder to think what going through the motions would lead to. Watching this game reminded me of how UNH teams of yore played against the bottom feeders. Nowhere to go but up.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
              The defensive play in their own end was terrible. The first three guys you mention are supposedly the best players on the team. They didn’t show it against UMass. Offensively they and their teammates didn’t do much either. If what I saw was good effort, I shudder to think what going through the motions would lead to. Watching this game reminded me of how UNH teams of yore played against the bottom feeders. Nowhere to go but up.
              I'm not sure that this team is ready for your eyes yet Greg. I wouldn't question their effort Saturday, but you can find room for improvement on their overall performance. These kids are really working hard and we can only hope they improve with more experience. As noted, lots of freshmen who will come as they get used to the speed. The first period was as fast and up and down as any in a long while. Felt like a BC game, very wide open. Second period was really an improvement and felt strong on both ends, but still no one appears to have the touch to be a grade A finisher. Going to need that!

The problem I saw took place within a 25 foot semicircle of the crease, at both ends of the ice. Defensively they really don't cover their man very well - to a person. And at the offensive end, no one is there for a rebound. With the one exception that got our only score.
              Verrier is playing very well, controlled and confident with the puck,and I think he is a sleeper in terms of fan appreciation. Doesn't get a ton of ice but is working his way in nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                The problem I saw took place within a 25 foot semicircle of the crease, at both ends of the ice. Defensively they really don't cover their man very well - to a person. And at the offensive end, no one is there for a rebound. With the one exception that got our only score.
                You do have to wonder if coaching defense beyond a relatively basic level (for this advanced level) is something three former D-1 forwards are likely to ever excel at. Possible "blind spot" with the current staff - although that same dynamic existed during the final few years of the Umile era, too. One would think getting the defense sorted out is an early opportunity to "coach up" the current group while they wait for the offensive talent already in the program to develop and emerge, and by extension help to attract the more talented kids further up the food chain. It's gotta start somewhere, why not here?
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Congratulations to Red Sox pitching coach Dana Lavangie.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    I'm not sure that this team is ready for your eyes yet Greg. I wouldn't question their effort Saturday, but you can find room for improvement on their overall performance. These kids are really working hard and we can only hope they improve with more experience. As noted, lots of freshmen who will come as they get used to the speed. The first period was as fast and up and down as any in a long while. Felt like a BC game, very wide open. Second period was really an improvement and felt strong on both ends, but still no one appears to have the touch to be a grade A finisher. Going to need that!

Verrier is playing very well, controlled and confident with the puck,and I think he is a sleeper in terms of fan appreciation. Doesn't get a ton of ice but is working his way in nicely.
                    Well, the 25 feet you speak of at each end of the ice are the critical areas are they not? If they don’t have the ability to defend that area at one end and don’t have the ability to attack it at the other end, we have problems, real problems. Saturday night UNH did not make it difficult for UMass in the defensive zone and they did nothing to make UMass uncomfortable in the offensive zone. Yes, UMass has more talent that UNH but it’s not like they are the second coming of the 1993 Maine Black Bears. I won’t be at either game this weekend (other commitments) but even though they will be playing more talented teams, I will expect a better effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      Well, the 25 feet you speak of at each end of the ice are the critical areas are they not? If they don’t have the ability to defend that area at one end and don’t have the ability to attack it at the other end, we have problems, real problems. Saturday night UNH did not make it difficult for UMass in the defensive zone and they did nothing to make UMass uncomfortable in the offensive zone. Yes, UMass has more talent that UNH but it’s not like they are the second coming of the 1993 Maine Black Bears. I won’t be at either game this weekend (other commitments) but even though they will be playing more talented teams, I will expect a better effort.
                      Looking forward to attending both games this weekend, and especially collecting my prizes pre-game at Libby's on Saturday night. :-)

Comment

Seeing the podcast advert on the USCHO homepage regarding Dartmouth HC Bob Gaudette's 400th career coaching win brings up a scattering of memories and reactions to me today. First, it's coming up on the 40th anniversary (this March) of the one and only UNH ECAC Tourney championship, with the '79 ECAC Finals victory against Dartmouth when UNH's #17 Bobby Gould scored at 17:17 of the 3rd period against none other than Big Green goalie … Bob Gaudette. For you younger fans who might scan the rafters at The Whitt during breaks in the action … that '79 title is referenced on UNH's Hockey East tourney banner. Just in case you were wondering how UNH "won" Hockey East a half-decade before it was founded … well, here you go.

It's also interesting to note that Coach Gaudette got his start as a HC at around the same time as Coach Umile, although he's roughly 10 years younger than Umile. That he's just reached the latest "NRN" in his career (still almost two full notches below Coach Umile's haul) offers some insight into just how well Umile fared during his long tenure at UNH. The downward arc of his career over its last decade, and particularly in his three year "lame duck" farewell tour, distracts many of us (and myself very much included) from what he accomplished over his career. BTW, Gaudette has one (1) regular season title with his alma mater, and one (1) NCAA appearance, which was in his early years at Brown.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/re...ob-Gaudet/2297

I know success is measured differently in Durham than it's been measured in Hanover, and I'm sure Coach Gaudette has met his boss' expectations to justify his extended tenure behind their bench. Nevertheless, it's interesting to ponder just how long Gaudette would have lasted at UNH had he posted the same results here? Also, overall, he may have 400 wins, but he has over 450 losses, and throw in over 100 ties, he's only won just over 40% of his games. Not exactly Hall of Fame credentials.

I suppose the celebration (or even just noteworthiness) of any NRN becomes questionable in my mind when the loss total has surpassed the win column. It always draws me back to my HS football coach, who was feted in the local press when he'd won his 100th game in charge. It was not as easy back then to find out career records as it is now, but I did some digging, simple math and it was not too difficult to determine that a coach in his 30th year was probably pretty darned close to having lost at least the NRN beyond the FRN (first round number, or 100).

Sometimes things like NRN's have more to do with tenure than with success.

Whatever you think of the man, you can't ever say that about Umile. JMHO.
                        Last edited by Chuck Murray; 11-07-2018, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Looking forward to attending both games this weekend, and especially collecting my prizes pre-game at Libby's on Saturday night. :-)
                          I'm not sure how the rumor may have gotten started, but I'm not going to be around this Saturday night. The usual coaching gig kicked in as of two weekends back.

I'll catch up (and pay up) as soon as things allow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I'm not sure how the rumor may have gotten started, but I'm not going to be around this Saturday night. The usual coaching gig kicked in as of two weekends back.

I'll catch up (and pay up) as soon as things allow.
                            No worries, Chuck. HR has been saving a bobblehead since last spring for me, and always fun to stop by Libby's before a game. Sure hope that we can a couple more W's to "my" UVM win this weekend.

Comment

No worries, Chuck. HR has been saving a bobblehead since last spring for me, and always fun to stop by Libby's before a game. Sure hope that we can a couple more W's to "my" UVM win this weekend.
                              Hey I'll let you know about whether or not I can get to Libby's before game time; hubby has a robotics event and we might not be able to get to DHam until close to game time. Either way, I'll bring your bobblehead AND a 'special' extra gift for ya! I will be at the UML game as well..
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-07-2018, 04:44 PM.
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

While I know that we aren't often complimentary of the ticket office, but I have to relay what turns out a positive experience. My husband has been a season ticket holder for at least 15 years (and has been in the student section for years prior to that). He was nice enough to buy a ticket for me for this coming Saturday's game when he was in Durham last weekend for the UMass game, but didn't realize until he got home that the seller misprinted and gave him a ticket to the UMass game. Husband contacted the ticket office and my replacement ticket should be waiting at will call this weekend for no extra charge. So, yeah, it was annoying that they screwed up, but the fix was relatively quick and simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X