Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

That IS a good deal and will hopefully get some families with little Badger fans who will become big Badger fans.

I really like the look of that line-up. 👍

After 2 weeks of house, dog, and cat sitting for MCR Jr in Rochester East Dakota, I'm finally heading home tonight. I'm not leaving until about 7PM, so I'll be streaming I❤Radio to hear Posick and Perrin.

FUKKUM BUCKY.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-26-2018, 05:13 PM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
      FYI the US sled hockey team is playing exhibitions against Norway at Madison Ice Arena next week (Nov 2-3). Both UW hockey teams (and the Capitols) are on the road.
      I think I'll shoot over there. I've never watched them in person and those folks deserve our support. 🇺🇸 🇳🇴

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        That IS a good deal and will hopefully get some families with little Badger fans who will become big Badger fans.

I really like the look of that line-up. ��

After 2 weeks of house, dog, and cat sitting for MCR Jr in Rochester East Dakota, I'm finally heading home tonight. I'm not leaving until about 7PM, so I'll be streaming I❤Radio to hear Posick and Perrin.

FUKKUM BUCKY.
        Important question:

Where do you put your dollar to buy a goal if your driving? On the dashboard? In the CD slot? Just want everyone to be prepared.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

And it (almost officially) looks like it will be Berry vs. Jurusik tonight!

Who woulda thought that could happen a year and a half ago?
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Regarding upper deck ticket prices, it obviously does make a difference. Remember 2013-14 when there was zero hype for an elite team (some early bumps in the road didn't help), and they were setting records for low attendance at men's hockey that fall?

They had a black Friday sale on those upper tickets and made them like 11 or 12 bucks. Sure enough, those seats actually got pretty full, even for 2nd year Penn State. They tried it, and it worked. (Looking back, it was probably just a boost to get some people in the door, but what we need is a giant long-term shift, not a little boost.)

I'd recommend they remember that. I also would recommend that they look at every other sports team I've ever seen in my life that sells tickets and draws more than 4000 fans regularly. Did they outsmart all of these hundreds of teams? Doubtful.

I'd also recommend they look at UW volleyball and UW men's hockey, and compare that comparison to the sport of volleyball (in this city, region, and country) and the sport of hockey (in this city, region, and country).

They're charging major league college sports prices for a minor sport. UW hockey used to be the third major sport here (not all colleges have that, even huge ones). Seeing the drastic shift in how many people follow the program as fans - and how those people do it - over the years makes that very, very clear even though it's mostly not quantitative stuff. (Student ticket sales and usage is, and the shift reflects exactly what I describe).

A 50% - or even 40 or 30% - reduction in price is significant. For a family, it the dollar amount multiplies (for the total purchase). Even for one person, 10 bucks might not be a lot, but there's a big point missed here. We're not talking about the fans going out of their way to watch games. They're not buying those tickets (virtually nobody is), and there aren't many of us left. we're talking about people - even Wisconsin Badgers fans - who have never engaged with Wisconsin hockey, but who so enjoy going to (other) games and would enjoy it. Again, I think families are a big part of that equation, because a night at the Badgers game has some appeal, but a group of four that doesn't care much about UW hockey (in the sense of being a fan) is going to frame 20 dollar tickets in a different category than 10 dollar tickets.

The cheaper option works for those who might want to check it out. That's the group they need, because there aren't thousands of fans sitting around going "hmmm if this Granato team proves themselves, I'll start going."

I obviously don't have as much information as they do, but they need to a) look to UW volleyball (and not pretend men's hockey is to far above it to make that comparison) and to the time that they did discount those tickets straight-up and the barren wasteland upstairs suddenly had life. Oh and c) remember that this ain't like the Ottawa Senators where making some positive changes with the team will get fans rushing back. It's letting people learn first hand what college hockey is.

Everyone feel encouraged to echo any of that to any fancy UW people you encounter.

Comment

To add on...(also feel encouraged to echo this to fancy UW people you encounter)...

When I bring up volleyball, I'm thinking more on the side of culture and the following they developed (both in person and overall), but there are some direct comparisons to be made that certainly have me convinced that it is worth re-doing the men's hockey pricing model.

The Kohl Center is bigger, and men's hockey (usually) draws bigger crowds at higher prices. So we can all agree that men's hockey is "bigger" across the board, even though I mean "bigger" in a kind of vague way.

Looking at regular adult tickets (no student/child/senior discount situations), there are two price levels for each sport. $9 reserved and $7 GA for volleyball, and the 24/20 split we know for men's hockey. However, there is a third level for volleyball that was only made available for season tickets - center-court tickets are 18% more than other reserved tickets (85 to 100 dollar increase for the season; didn't count the number of games). So that's weird, and deserves a look from the fancy people.

Second, only when they started packing the place did they increase tickets by two dollars. Two dollars. Why weren't GA tickets 10 bucks to begin with? Why did they carefully go up from 5 to 7? If they tell you the price doesn't make a difference for upper deck men's hockey tickets, first cite the thing about the black Friday sale from a few years back, then make that point that I just made.

Comment

• Let’s go red!!!! Excited for this one!

Comment

Drop the puck!!!!!!
                  Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Oh Tarek Baker... can’t do that.

Comment

Good to see that it is "Dress like a red seat night" at the Kohl Center tonight.

Place looks and sounds empty.

Comment

Not the way we wanted this one to start.

Maybe Strobie needs to give one of those "stay outta the box and put the puck in the net, or your gonna wind up livin' in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!" speeches.
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          Important question:

Where do you put your dollar to buy a goal if your driving? On the dashboard? In the CD slot? Just want everyone to be prepared.
                          *** is going on, boys? Not what I expected. I can't really tell much because Vogel on the call isn't good but Perrin is trying to carry them both. I stopped at the Lacrosse welcome center to stretch my new knee, so I stuck a 20 on my visor. Step yer game up, boys. Lets make it worth me using data! 😉
                          Last edited by MadCityRich; 10-26-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            *** is going on, boys? Not what I expected. I can't really tell much because Vogel on the call isn't good but Perrin is trying to carry them both. I stopped at the Lacrosse welcome center to stretch my new knee, so I stuck a 20 on my visor. Step yer game up, boys. Lets make it worth me using data! ��
                            It's an ugly game to watch. Can't believe how bad they look. Tech has out worked them from get go.

Comment

Well, Granato has a hell of a lot of work to do. Tech is not that good.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

At the game and this is puppies crapping the carpet bad.....

No effort. I'm starting to question this staff.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                                X