Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

I must say I feel pretty good about the goal tending situation considering all the gnashing of teeth I and others did at the start of the season. Obviously they should still hire a goalie coach, but at least the Hammer seems to fit the part. That makes the long bridge to Grannon seem not so bad.

I would not have dreamed Miller would be leading the team in scoring at the break, though if you take Linus' ppg of 1.375 x 18 he'd be at 24 pts and be leading the team if not for the injury.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
      Lukey Q9 looked good for the game against the Flames

https://youtu.be/r-J8wfeEiJA
      I don't believe that is even the correct pronunciation.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I think an interesting stat to look at so far in the season is goal differential.

When looking at conference games / ALL games, in order of current conference standings
        Ohio State: +8, +9
        Wisconsin: +3, +6
        Notre Dame: -1, +16
        Michigan: -4, -3
        Minnesota: +3, +1
        Penn State: +1, +27
        Michigan State: -10, -9

What really stands out to me is that Notre Dame and Penn State both put a lot of wood in the shed in the early NC portion of their schedules but have been pretty average in conference play so far.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
          I think an interesting stat to look at so far in the season is goal differential.

When looking at conference games / ALL games, in order of current conference standings
          Ohio State: +8, +9
          Wisconsin: +3, +6
          Notre Dame: -1, +16
          Michigan: -4, -3
          Minnesota: +3, +1
          Penn State: +1, +27
          Michigan State: -10, -9

What really stands out to me is that Notre Dame and Penn State both put a lot of wood in the shed in the early NC portion of their schedules but have been pretty average in conference play so far.
          Notre Dame was +9 versus Nebraska Omaha and +7 versus Rensselaer (PWR 40th and 48th)
          Penn State was +9 versus Niagra, +10 versus Robert Morris (PWR 42nd and 45th)

They played some easy opponents and scored a lot of goals against them. I think playing a tougher schedule helps more in the long run.

I can't find a schedule comparison chart, but I think Wisconsin has had one of the tougher schedules in college hockey so far this year.
          Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-18-2018, 01:20 PM.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

One other thing to mention, which is sure to set off enough conversation to keep us occupied for a few weeks...

UW is currently 2nd in the nation in average attendance per USCHO numbers.

9,222 per game

Yes, this is much lower than it could be and is only 60% of the capacity. Yes, we used to lead this number by a mile

Only NoDak is higher than us at the moment. But what else is there to do in ND in the winter?!?

Wisconsin is averaging more tickets sold per game than all but 4 teams could have in a sold out arena. We have more fans at a single game than 11 teams have had so far this year!

There are problems. Attendance is down and is trending down over the past 5-10 years. Ticket prices are too high. Concession prices are too high. Parking prices are too high. They play too much canned music. They don't do enough to get students to the game and engage with them. They don't have enough little kids skating during intermissions. The police don't coordinate traffic on Dayton St after games well enough. Some games are on TV. They don't sell beer to the commoners.

But look at the numbers compared to what other schools are putting up, especially some of the "UW should be like these guys" schools
            BU is getting under 4k per game in a rink that seats over 6k
            BC is getting under 4k per game in a rink that seats almost 8k
            Denver is doing OK with just over 5k per game in a 6k rink

I'm sure some will say "that's all fine, but it isn't what we could be! We should be selling out the Kohl every night like when we were in the WCHA!" and I get it, that would be great. But even the other schools that were doing well back in the day are struggling. I don't know that anyone has found the magic answer to getting everyone in the seats.

The couple of schools doing really well:
            Penn State - Still riding the energy of a new program in a smaller rink
            Quinnipiac - Riding the wave of recent good teams, but in a rink that seats 3.1K
            NoDak - nothing else to do...and a team that usually performs well
            Michigan - lots of history, in a small rink
            UMD - lots of energy around recent performance and a newer rink which is appropriately sized
            Minnesota - getting good numbers, but even they are having troubles in the "State of Hockey"

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
              One other thing to mention, which is sure to set off enough conversation to keep us occupied for a few weeks...

UW is currently 2nd in the nation in average attendance per USCHO numbers.

9,222 per game

Yes, this is much lower than it could be and is only 60% of the capacity. Yes, we used to lead this number by a mile

Only NoDak is higher than us at the moment. But what else is there to do in ND in the winter?!?

Wisconsin is averaging more tickets sold per game than all but 4 teams could have in a sold out arena. We have more fans at a single game than 11 teams have had so far this year!

There are problems. Attendance is down and is trending down over the past 5-10 years. Ticket prices are too high. Concession prices are too high. Parking prices are too high. They play too much canned music. They don't do enough to get students to the game and engage with them. They don't have enough little kids skating during intermissions. The police don't coordinate traffic on Dayton St after games well enough. Some games are on TV. They don't sell beer to the commoners.

But look at the numbers compared to what other schools are putting up, especially some of the "UW should be like these guys" schools
              BU is getting under 4k per game in a rink that seats over 6k
              BC is getting under 4k per game in a rink that seats almost 8k
              Denver is doing OK with just over 5k per game in a 6k rink

I'm sure some will say "that's all fine, but it isn't what we could be! We should be selling out the Kohl every night like when we were in the WCHA!" and I get it, that would be great. But even the other schools that were doing well back in the day are struggling. I don't know that anyone has found the magic answer to getting everyone in the seats.

The couple of schools doing really well:
              Penn State - Still riding the energy of a new program in a smaller rink
              Quinnipiac - Riding the wave of recent good teams, but in a rink that seats 3.1K
              NoDak - nothing else to do...and a team that usually performs well
              Michigan - lots of history, in a small rink
              UMD - lots of energy around recent performance and a newer rink which is appropriately sized
              Minnesota - getting good numbers, but even they are having troubles in the "State of Hockey"
              You are certainly partly right about Nodak when you say there is nothing else to do there, but that isn't quite fair. First of all, they don't have much population to work with. Also, they've been passionate about their hockey in GF for a long, long time. People have plenty do do in cities all across the country, but Sioux/Hawks fans show up for away games not because they are all flying out of GF but because they live close by and love the game and Sioux hockey enough to go whenever possible. In some respects, GF is just a larger version of those towns along Hwy 11 in Mn like Roseau, Baudette, and Warroad.

That said, I've always thought Madison showed a real passion for hockey in the 30 years I've live in WI. The Engelstadt rinks have always been packed, and the old one was particularly intense, but the Dane and KC (before the recent trend) was as rollicking fun as any venue I've been at. I would have thought being in a conference with rivals like Minnie, Michigan, OSU would bring back those days. The availability of high quality streaming coverage might make that impossible, though.

Comment

Just here to send some Christmas Cheer to my biggest rival U of Wisconsin, may Santa bring you coal! Love MN

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                  Just here to send some Christmas Cheer to my biggest rival U of Wisconsin, may Santa bring you coal! Love MN
                  Where is gopher fan and what have you done with him?

__________________________________________________ _______

Those attendance figures at Kohl are SOLD tickets, not asses in seats. There's an element here that has tickets and doesn't show up.
                  Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-18-2018, 08:12 PM.
                  "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/wisconsinme...938098/?type=3
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                      I don't believe that is even the correct pronunciation.
                      That is correct. My friend sent me that awhile back and I thought it was funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
                        Coal will work just fine roasting gofers to a crisp.

Comment

Sean Dhooghe getting some coverage in the Toronto Sun.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...playing-in-nhl
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            Where is gopher fan and what have you done with him?

__________________________________________________ _______

Those attendance figures at Kohl are SOLD tickets, not asses in seats. There's an element here that has tickets and doesn't show up.
                            Most of those no-shows are probably student tickets. The student section serves as a good indicator of how tiny the fan base is becoming. There have been some "good first impression" games for the newbies with tickets who want to check it out (every little bit helps), but the amount of fans following the team as fans is pretty low. (Watch what % show up for good regular season games while school is in session, and if any are in the 2nd deck, watch how few stand.)

I've written a bazillion paragraphs about that distinction fairly recently, so I won't rehash it, but the chicken-and-the egg reality of sports fandom (on large levels) means it'll take a LOT longer than 7 years to get back to the levels of 2011 and before...without an outside jolt like a Frozen Four run. (Realistically, that's probably the one significant jolt. Look at volleyball... And I'm repeating myself again.)

Anyway, that chicken-and-the-egg reality is why there is no magic answer. To change it at all, you need major pushes to move the needle at all (in terms of getting people to make UW Hockey fandom a part of their lives). When I talk about reducing upper deck ticket prices, it's not just for short term attendance gains - it's for creating a more appealing environment that can snowball on itself and attract more fans who like going to sports games.

It goes all the way down to the youth hockey levels, but that's an even bigger picture.
                            Last edited by WiscDC; 12-19-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                              That said, I've always thought Madison showed a real passion for hockey in the 30 years I've live in WI. The Engelstadt rinks have always been packed, and the old one was particularly intense, but the Dane and KC (before the recent trend) was as rollicking fun as any venue I've been at. I would have thought being in a conference with rivals like Minnie, Michigan, OSU would bring back those days. The availability of high quality streaming coverage might make that impossible, though.
                              The passion for hockey is realistically pretty high in Madison. I can't speak on the old days from personal experience, but I wouldn't be surprised if that passion among those who were UW hockey fans only (those who didn't also engage with the sport in other ways) has waned.

In the overall picture, boys and girls around here play in high numbers (not including when they bring their friends to the outdoor rinks), there are something like 12-13 public indoor sheets available within a 20-minute drive of my apartment, high school hockey is a "thing", and while it drives me nuts how often I have to ask for a road Badgers game to be put on the TV in bars, you see hockey on those TVs with regularity. Oh, and UW women's hockey is probably the best followed women's hockey team in the world outside of international competition.

To much of the country, this is a hockey paradise, but people here tend to compare it to Minnesota. Relating to Badgers hockey attendance and fandom, this stuff is one of the major factors that leads to my conclusion that it is realistic to expect UW men's hockey to have a situation where they can pack the Kohl Center with regularity, as a baseline.

P.S. even though they seem to conspire with the Badgers to play at home and on the road on the same weekends, Madison Capitols games are fun, and the renovations are looking good. It's another nice slice to the local hockey landscape.

P.p.s. It also reminds me of how I'd always see a disproportionate amount of NHL gear around campus compared to people getting in to UW hockey as fans, which didn't seem to happen the way football fans (of which there are obviously more) got into UW football...where you see a lot of UW hockey jerseys every game. I guess that shows the lack of the all-important casual fans.
                              Last edited by WiscDC; 12-19-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I think interest in hockey in the Madison metro area is still solid, I just think attending UW games is not a "must see" event like it used to be. What they should do is move 3rd tier people to the 1st or 2nd tier to get that filled more. How you accomplish this from a practical standpoint would be a challenge, maybe you do it after the end of the first period. Then the ushers would serve a purpose for once.

Comment

Working...
                                X