Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    Who remembers "Chuck Schwartz" on the forums? Tonight, I recognized him, introduced myself, and we talked a few minutes.

For those of you who didnt know of him, that guy is a wealth of hockey player knowledge.
    I remember the name, never met him though. Good to hear he was a good guy.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      What’s the excuse now?
      The team is not very good. Goalies are unreliable.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

I did a stat analysis on the probability of the Badgers making the NCAAs. With the loss last night, UW is basically out. 5 years without an NCAA at-large bid is unprecedented in UW hockey. TG is past his prime.

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
          The team is not very good. Goalies are unreliable.
          And that gets to my main fear. Many people talked up players on this team and how highly regarded they were. And yet they’re likely to miss the playoffs for a 5th consecutive year.

The fear is next year’s recruiting class will temporarily mask a larger underlying issue which is a lack of talent AND bad coaching. Like Heatley masked a lack of talent, somehow with almost no support he got 57 points as a soph.

Osiecki may have lost it as a coach of D. They’ve been generally lousy in version 2.0

Add to that a lack of talent up and down the line and i’m Not sure if Granato is the answer at HC as well.

What if Caulfield and Turcotte are Kariya/Turris/Suter/Kessel types? 1 and done. Does that mean that in 2 years Wisconsin misses the playoffs again so it’s 6 out of 7 years?

There are serious questions about this program and i’m Beginning to feel the same way as I did in 2014. I remember arguing with chuck Schwartz who I thought was pollyannic on UW. Sure enough UW got dumped in game 1 of the ncaa’s. And the reason was lack of talent. Barnes, Mersch et all would be 3rd liners on a championship team. Same with 17 and 18 today although 17 might be ac4th liner on a title team.

I’m very concerned now that Wisconsin is not positioned for long term success with this coaching staff.
          Last edited by solovsfett; 01-19-2019, 08:10 AM.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            And that gets to my main fear. Many people talked up players on this team and how highly regarded they were. And yet they’re likely to miss the playoffs for a 5th consecutive year.

Osiecki may have lost it as a coach of D. They’ve been generally lousy in version 2.0
            Interesting point/question regarding Osiecki. Most of the talent we have is supposed to be on D. I keep hearing how talented they are; but, young. We're more than half way through the season now, and really most of defensemen are soph's (Tischke a senior). We're like 44th in goals allowed per game. Even if our goaltending is spotty, I don't feel like we should be that bad if the defense is really that talented and/or Osiecki is really a defensive guru.

Granted, penalties haven't helped (54th in power play goals allowed). Though that is also either a sign of talent or coaching (discipline).

Comment

I'm not worried about Osiecki. What this team needs is a good head coach, a good forward coach and a goaltending coach.

Reasoning: How come Don Granato was able to do much more with a lot less for players? Then Strobel comes in and back down we went. What about Tony? When has he EVER been a good coach that wasn't propped up by having a loaded team? It's embarrassing that NCAA teams can't have a paid goaltending coach. Goalie U has been getting worse and worse ever since Bill Howard left. Both goalies this year have sub .900 sv%. That's absolutely dreadful and that's not all on just the defensemen. I don't think the forwards know how to play in the d-zone. Look at the PK earlier in the year. They collapsed HARD and what did that lead to? One of if not THE worst penalty kill in college hockey.

Bare minimum this offseason: fire Strobel and hire a real forward coach.
              Last edited by digitalbooya; 01-19-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I thought Lebedeff would be better. I've been *****ing about signing Tier 2 (NAHL) goalies for years, and a few posters have given me a load of ****. "Give him time!" "He'll be OK." Well, wow do you like me now, eh? Why can't we get elite goalies here anymore?

This is getting BEYOND frustration. "Wait until next year!" I'm not a Cubs fan and don't believe it any longer.

It's REALLY frustrating seeing the Kohl Center full on a Saturday AM game with a "meh" basketball team.

Last night, NoDame was missing their top 3 scorers and they pot 5 (6). SMMFH.
                Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-19-2019, 12:29 PM.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  I thought Lebedeff would be better. I've been *****ing about signing Tier 2 (NAHL) goalies for years, and a few posters have given me a load of ****. "Give him time!" "He'll be OK." Well, wow do you like me now, eh? Why can't we get elite goalies here anymore?

This is getting BEYOND frustration. "Wait until next year!" I'm not a Cubs fan and don't believe it any longer.

It's REALLY frustrating seeing the Kohl Center full on a Saturday AM game with a "meh" basketball team.

Last night, NoDame was missing their top 3 scorers and they pot 5 (6). SMMFH.
                  And down goes #2 Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                    I did a stat analysis on the probability of the Badgers making the NCAAs. With the loss last night, UW is basically out. 5 years without an NCAA at-large bid is unprecedented in UW hockey. TG is past his prime.
                    Not trying to be pretentious in anyway, but the death spiral of UW hockey over the past 5 seasons including this one is shocking and unprecedented in the storied history of the University of Wisconsin Badger hockey program. It's not good for UW fans or the Big Ten. I honestly hope there is a solution soon starting with immediate changes in leadership.

BTW what I came up with in my analysis was the Badgers most likely have to run the table (win 11-12 out of their next 13 games) to get to #14-15 in the PWR. Based upon the Badgers record thus far and the remaining schedule that's not possible. An autobid looks like the only path into the NCAA postseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                      And down goes #2 Michigan.
                      They're still a "meh" team. Any team who only scores 15 pts in a first half TWICE, is nothing more. UW skaters beat Notre Dame 5-0 last year when ND was #1. How did that season end up for us?

Of course, I don't let this run my life, but this program is just on bicycle without a chain and it's not fun.

"Head coach Tony Granato talks about the lessons from Notre Dame"

Above was the headline on a video on the Badger Hockey facebook page. It could be used every week so far; just insert a different opponent. Jeez it's bad.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-19-2019, 05:02 PM.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        Not trying to be pretentious in anyway, but the death spiral of UW hockey over the past 5 seasons including this one is shocking and unprecedented in the storied history of the University of Wisconsin Badger hockey program. It's not good for UW fans or the Big Ten. I honestly hope there is a solution soon starting with immediate changes in leadership.

BTW what I came up with in my analysis was the Badgers most likely have to run the table (win 11-12 out of their next 13 games) to get to #14-15 in the PWR. Based upon the Badgers record thus far and the remaining schedule that's not possible. An autobid looks like the only path into the NCAA postseason.
                        SteveO doesn't post often, but when he does, he's golden.

Comment

• Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

I want to believe but this team keeps making the same mistakes over and over and I am just not seeing improvement.

It's frustrating to watch them skate around Notre Dame, dominate stretches and make the same mistakes and lose.

I continue to be disappointed in the goalies. Lebby looked slow last night. Granted many of those shots where perfectly placed but still we need a big save here and there.

I'm frustrated and disgusted.

And for those asking for it I don't see any changes coming in the coaching staff for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Well, it's game day or something... LET'S GO RED!

Comment

Wisconsin needs to go 6-7 from tonight forward just to match last year’s paltry 14 win total.

Unfortunately I don’t see how that happens.
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                Wisconsin needs to go 6-7 from tonight forward just to match last year’s paltry 14 win total.

Unfortunately I don’t see how that happens.
                                Such a sad state of affairs.
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X