Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
    That is one great post. Some people just don't ****ing get it.

BTW TJK, it was great meeting and sitting with you last Friday!
    Same here Rich. Good to put a face to a name....
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
      If the Badgers win then the fans will come back. I think it's that simple and all this stuff about the sky has fallen bc of the start of the BIG 10 conference is overblown. There are plenty of local youth hockey families that will pay to come watch the Badgers play OSU, Michigan, Minny... in my opinion.

The problem is the Badgers becoming a terrible program coincided with the start of the Big 10, so no one knows for sure that the Big 10 didn't cause some lose of the fan base. But we do know for sure that the Badgers being a boring team to watch contributed to the loss of fans. So if the Badgers get good some time this century then we will find out the answer.
      I think this is fair. I do think that the tradition of the WCHA and those hockey schools is part of the issue, but it isn't coming back. In addition, the problem isn't limited to hockey. Bouncy ball and football attendance is down too and they haven't had a real down turn in success (other than a year here a year there). But winning brings fans for sure. Just ask the volleyball team and women's hockey that are selling out regularly. Note those are substantially more affordable options as well. How short sited by the AD to not have more seats or an expansion plan for LaBahn.......but I digress.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        . How short sited by the AD to not have more seats or an expansion plan for LaBahn.......but I digress.
        Digression approved. They could have completed the seating all the way around the north end with that giant sports complex being completely rebuilt and attached the 2. Total shortsighted morons. It would be fascinating to know how many fans are turned away on the sellout days.

TG thinks the USDP coaches will put all recruits on the same line together for the game tomorrow. None of the players have played LW that I have seen and they've all been on different lines. Maybe they will start the game that way, then go back to their regular lines.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
          The Mrs. has already suggested looking back there. Gotta get the resume back together and then start looking again. It might be possible.
          Lots of opportunities in Wis. Skyward in ST. Point is actively seeking programmers.

Comment

Originally posted by dtrumbower View Post
            Lots of opportunities in Wis. Skyward in ST. Point is actively seeking programmers.
            I'm a Network/VMware kind of guy, so programming has never been my kind of thing, thanks though. I've found a few things in Madison at this point, but we're going to look here first. Only been a few days since I got let go, so we're just trying to let the pieces settle first before making any big decisions.
            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Digression approved. They could have completed the seating all the way around the north end with that giant sports complex being completely rebuilt and attached the 2. Total shortsighted morons. It would be fascinating to know how many fans are turned away on the sellout days.

TG thinks the USDP coaches will put all recruits on the same line together for the game tomorrow. None of the players have played LW that I have seen and they've all been on different lines. Maybe they will start the game that way, then go back to their regular lines.
              I think I've seen the starting lineup announced with any committed players then through the first few line changes they slowly adjust to the normal line-mates.

I think they are then also the last to go through the handshake line to spend a few extra moments with their future teammates and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                I think I'm saddest about the effect it has had on the student section. Hockey is a generational sport that needs upper classes training younger classes about those traditions. I am afraid that when the WCHA-trained older students left the building with disinterest in the new B1G, we lost a couple years of that training and long-standing Badger Hockey student pride that will take decades to rebuild. A real shame...
                This is WAY off. I was a student for the end of UW's time in the men's WCHA and the beginning of the Big Ten. (I also kept going to the student section after graduating ) The older students left the building because they left school. They didn't suddenly become disinterested because Bemidji State wasn't coming to town 2 out of every 3 years anymore.

When the Big Ten conference started, I WAS one of those "WCHA-trained older students." I can assure you that nobody was leaving because of the conference switch. The issues with student interest stem from the near-zero promotion the school gave the program for years, which is terrible when you're talking about a sport/league (college hockey specifically) that is virtually unknown to the majority of your incoming students, including hockey fans.

The student fans who cared enough to actually miss (to a large enough degree to be disgusted) the most recent "old" WCHA were also the fans who cared enough that they were buying student tickets every year they were on campus.

If you were a freshman in 2009-10, even if you weren't a hardcore hockey fan, you were aware it was a big deal. Your brother 2 years younger? You didn't get that impression at all, even if you have a friend who fell in love with college hockey more than any other spectator sport. (Yes, I'm thinking of specific people when I say that, but I found it to be consistent among everyone I spoke to while on campus.) You knew it was kinda big to some people, but you had a different impression. It's not like football, where you get tickets even if you don't care at all, because you're afraid you'll miss out. After all, UW shoves it down your throat from the second you turn in your application.

That's the difference. You had to really actively seek out college hockey to get into it. It's about not enough freshmen replacing the seniors. Attendance was going down in 2011, and those people were upperclassmen just a couple years later, not the same upperclassmen from before. That was already happening, and I have yet to find or hear about any real people who were still students when they lost interest in college hockey due to being a WCHA loyalist.

I said it in my last comment and I'll say it again: If enough people (we're talking huge numbers) were angry enough about realignment that they gave up interest in college hockey, then that would mean there were WAY more diehard UW hockey fans then there actually are.

Those students in the second and third decks weren't the same ones you're thinking of. They were there because they liked hockey, they liked UW hockey, and UW hockey is a great time.

In 2013-14, it felt like UW Athletics tried to keep it a secret how good that team was poised to be. It was insane. No hype on the main UW social media accounts, nothing beyond the usual below-the-fold "oh and hockey tickets are also on sale" thing.

Sure, they had a couple stinkers early on, but they ended up being good. Really good. The Big Ten schedule was backloaded, so you had a good team playing Michigan (tons of students came, even in the heart of winter break!!!), Ohio State, and Michigan State.

And what happened. Well, student ticket sales before the season were bad. They were bad the year before, and they kept being bad for the reasons I explained above. But once all that stuff in the previous paragraph got going, interest went up. UW recognized this and made single game student tickets available (for like 10 or 12 bucks) in the upper deck corner, and those got used in a heartbeat. Regular student tickets were getting sold for 20-30 bucks (or more for that magical Friday vs Minnesota). The starting point was really low, because the fans who weren't there early on were NOT these mythical college hockey fans who were still students but left the building because they missed the old league.

The fans who weren't there early never had an entry point in the first place.

And then the next fall, knowing the team would be crappy, UW refused to take advantage of the opportunity to say "remember how good they were last year? Oooh an old rival in North Dakota is coming to town!" Then the window of opportunity to easily get new fans on board closed because the team was terrible.

Edit: I want to be extra clear that I'm specifically talking about the student body and the student section, and how things changed as the classes that saw the 2010 run went away. I know there were cranky people around town who didn't appreciate how Michigan and Wisconsin looked like old fierce rivals despite having never played each other (with any of their current players at the time).
                Last edited by WiscDC; 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Lebedeff is getting the starting nod on Saturday night.

Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    Lebedeff is getting the starting nod on Saturday night.

They also are wearing the new candy cane jerseys.

Comment

Regarding attendance/fan base and the B1G conference/WCHA - I have to agree with WiscDC. I really don't think that the creation of the B1G had much to do with the falloff. It has much more to do with us being poor, and zero advertising put into hockey. I say this for a couple of reasons. When I was in school (early 90's), you weren't getting student season tickets as a frosh or soph unless you stood in line all night (football tickets were easy). During frosh orientation, they made as big a deal about letting you know about hockey as they did football or basketball. The PBS replays were always on, and games on radio on 2 different stations. By 2010 when I left Madison, it was hard to find any media on them. The atmosphere was still good; but, not as crazy as it used to be, and much more "plastic"/"stuffy", e.g. banners long since gone/frowned upon, radio music seeping in vs band, etc. That decreased the party atmosphere.

Regarding the B1G - the loss of the WCHA hurt/was sad for those like me that often traveled to St Paul for the final 5 - a truly great event. But for regular season - I just don't think it impacted the casual fan. And even for diehard fans - I don't think it was that much of a change. The rivals we lost were: North Dakota, Duluth, Denver, CC, and maybe Tech. We often still play them in the regular season, and with expansion weren't playing them as frequently already. Furthermore, on the notion that Michigan, Sparty, and Notre Dame aren't traditional hockey rivals - that is really only the case for a certain age group (middle-agers like me). Really, for the older fans, those 3 had previously been in the WCHA, so it wasn't that much of a change. Really, was subbing in OSU and PSU for games vs Omaha, Mankato, St Clould and Bemidji really a downer for fans? I just don't think it holds up. As I said, sad for the conference tourny - which was a truly great event, and maybe lost a few traveling fans from some of those closer schools.

But, it's mostly about the lack of attention the athletic dept gave the program, falloff in performance, and unwillingness to adjust the ticket prices/be reactive to draw fans in.

Comment

LOL it's 7 hrs to game time and my daughter and I are still the only ones in our section.

I think sucking was the biggest factor in the falloff.

Comment

• Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                          Regarding attendance/fan base and the B1G conference/WCHA - I have to agree with WiscDC. I really don't think that the creation of the B1G had much to do with the falloff. It has much more to do with us being poor, and zero advertising put into hockey. I say this for a couple of reasons. When I was in school (early 90's), you weren't getting student season tickets as a frosh or soph unless you stood in line all night (football tickets were easy). During frosh orientation, they made as big a deal about letting you know about hockey as they did football or basketball. The PBS replays were always on, and games on radio on 2 different stations. By 2010 when I left Madison, it was hard to find any media on them. The atmosphere was still good; but, not as crazy as it used to be, and much more "plastic"/"stuffy", e.g. banners long since gone/frowned upon, radio music seeping in vs band, etc. That decreased the party atmosphere.

Regarding the B1G - the loss of the WCHA hurt/was sad for those like me that often traveled to St Paul for the final 5 - a truly great event. But for regular season - I just don't think it impacted the casual fan. And even for diehard fans - I don't think it was that much of a change. The rivals we lost were: North Dakota, Duluth, Denver, CC, and maybe Tech. We often still play them in the regular season, and with expansion weren't playing them as frequently already. Furthermore, on the notion that Michigan, Sparty, and Notre Dame aren't traditional hockey rivals - that is really only the case for a certain age group (middle-agers like me). Really, for the older fans, those 3 had previously been in the WCHA, so it wasn't that much of a change. Really, was subbing in OSU and PSU for games vs Omaha, Mankato, St Clould and Bemidji really a downer for fans? I just don't think it holds up. As I said, sad for the conference tourny - which was a truly great event, and maybe lost a few traveling fans from some of those closer schools.

But, it's mostly about the lack of attention the athletic dept gave the program, falloff in performance, and unwillingness to adjust the ticket prices/be reactive to draw fans in.
                          If you are correct Barry Alvarez needs to be fired NOW. There are two teams on campus who can and should be vying for national titles regularly. It’s just that Alvarez doesn’t give a solitary thought to this at all. Incredibly disrespectful and i’d Love to know how hockey alumni feel about ole “i’m Not a hockey guy”
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Our defense.....OMFG.

EDIT: Granato's not holding back. We have our #1 goalie in net and all the regulars playing. We're down 5-2.

Just, wow.
                            Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-12-2019, 08:27 PM.
                            "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                              Our defense.....OMFG.

EDIT: Granato's not holding back. We have our #1 goalie in net and all the regulars playing. We're down 5-2.

Just, wow.
                              There really are no acceptable excuses for getting demolished by a team of high school seniors. Just flat out embarrassing. Maybe Oseicki has lost it. Maybe Granato never had it as a coach.

The trial period is over. Destroyed by kids. I can’t take listening to games or watching this subpar crap. I want to hear from the alumni. What are they saying?
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

"Maybe Oseicki has lost it. Maybe Granato never had it as a coach." I'm beginning to think this is the case. Just sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X