Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

People complain when we have games over break because there are no students and no band.
    Then people complain that we don't have any games over break because the team will be flat.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019: We can have a witty thread title when we start winnin

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
      People complain when we have games over break because there are no students and no band.
      Then people complain that we don't have any games over break because the team will be flat.
      There won't be students there Jan 4 for Denver, so I am not sure of your point. A month off is good?

The crowds are lousy anyways. Might as well have the games.
      Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-11-2018, 03:44 PM.
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        There won't be students there Jan 4 for Denver, so I am not sure of your point. A month off is good?

The crowds are lousy anyways. Might as well have the games.
        You get the basic point; people will find a way to complain.

If it isn't too many games during the semester break, it is too few games during the semester break.
        If it isn't that the U18 team isn't scheduled, it is that the tickets for the U18 game are full price.
        If it isn't that the administration isn't doing enough promotions to sell tickets, it is that the promotions aren't working well enough.

There will always be something...

Comment

By my count, we are one of roughly 15 teams that have a month break over December/January.

A few teams have exhibitions with the U18 or some other team, a bunch are in holiday tournaments, a handful have regular games scheduled.

Certainly the gap in the schedule is not something unique to UW.

Comment

You get the basic point; people will find a way to complain.

If it isn't too many games during the semester break, it is too few games during the semester break.
            If it isn't that the U18 team isn't scheduled, it is that the tickets for the U18 game are full price.
            If it isn't that the administration isn't doing enough promotions to sell tickets, it is that the promotions aren't working well enough.

There will always be something...
            People will always complain so do what's best for the team and that isn't a month off. Move one non-conference series that will be lightly attended anyway and move that from fall to winter break.

Oh and exhibitions should never be full price!
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

By my count, we are one of roughly 15 teams that have a month break over December/January.

A few teams have exhibitions with the U18 or some other team, a bunch are in holiday tournaments, a handful have regular games scheduled.

Certainly the gap in the schedule is not something unique to UW.
              That's 25% so well in the minority of teams.

Comment

I'm just hoping for a backloaded home schedule next year.

A road series this weekend would be fun, but I'm certainly not worried about any lost "momentum" between weeks, let alone the difference between a 2- or 3-week break and a 4-week break.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  I'm just hoping for a backloaded home schedule next year.

A road series this weekend would be fun, but I'm certainly not worried about any lost "momentum" between weeks, let alone the difference between a 2- or 3-week break and a 4-week break.
                  So having a series in the middle of a month off wouldn't be beneficial? I don't agree at all. And I think Tony himself said he didn't want that long between games. I am trying to find the comments and striking out.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                    That's why we used to have that Badger Showdown at the Bradley Center and then the Kohl Center. Man, the good old days...
                    That was fun but it got to a point where the Bradley Center was full of fans from Madison, lost Milwaukee sponsorship, thus the move. It was ALWAYS loaded with talented teams from across the nation.

When the Cold War was still on, who remembers when the USSR teams used to play the Badgers at the Coliseum usually on New Year's Eve? One year, I got removed from the first row behind the Russian bench ( I was told to get no closer than 5 rows). I was trying to give a pen to players (between the glass and bench boards) and get autographs in my program. I thought the coach was going to declare war!! ****, I was just trying to be diplomatic.
                    Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Well as far as breaks go, they ALWAYS come at a bad time if the team is on a roll....the last couple of years, the team came dragging an anchor into the break so it felt like "thank God, take some time off and get a break so we can start anew next month." This year it's just the opposite. At this point, especially with the World Juniors and 3 top players potentially being out, I'm not super concerned about them not playing if they wouldn't be at full strength. I do wish in the future either the Badgers would start a new Badger Hockey Showdown (Playing in Milwaukee was by far more successful than in Madison), or begin committing to other Winter Tourneys (especially the GLI). No Reason Coach G can't push this issue, especially if he is concerned about maintaining a rhythm over the Christmas break.

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                        Are you complaining about people complaining??

Comment

Being that the Badgers have played 2 more games at this point than quite a few other programs, I think the holiday break really just comes down to scheduling. Scheduling certainly isn't as difficult as football, but it may be a little more difficult in Hockey when considering filling up non-conference slates over a holiday break. I'm going to assume offers for holiday tourneys are made 1 or 2 yrs out. With the Big 10 taking such a huge hit Strength of Schedule wise out of the gate and struggling to fill non-conf slates and only 5 total teams (at the time) in the conf, it was tough sledding.

One thing I will give Coach G credit for is putting an emphasis on scheduling both legacy WCHA rivals and other high quality non-conf games. Maybe moving the first wkend slate of non-conf games off the schedule and get invited to a holiday tourney would be a good next step to prevent a big lull in the season. The draw for the Bank One Badger Hockey Showdown was strong in Milwaukee because it gave students on break, fans in Milwaukee, and walk up "something to do" people an event to check out over Christmas in the city. When Bank One pulled its sponsorship and it moved to Madison, it was a MUCH tougher sell and led to its demise. My 2 cents.

Comment

One of these 2 guys vould help with our anemic PP....
                            https://***********/NHLBlackhawks/st...549858816?s=19

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                              Are you complaining about people complaining??
                              ......or complaining about people complaining about people complaining? 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                                ......or complaining about people complaining about people complaining? ��
                                I'm sorry, did you come here for an argument?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLlv_aZjHXc
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X