UML 2018/2019 Season: Back to Bazin Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UMLSec123 View Post
    If it's where I am thinking of, if I'm not mistaken they ran out of state funding
    Call the Dpw city hall take another way this is for sports

Comment

• Re: UML 2018/2019 Season: Back to Bazin Basics

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      NON-HOCKEY POST

Do any of you Lowell peeps have any idea a) what they're doing to Pawtucket Blvd/VFW Highway/Route 110 between University Ave and Aiken Street and b) have any idea when it will be complete? It's been going on for way too long and it never seems like there are people working on it.

/NON HOCKEY POST
      https://www.lowellsun.com/todayshead...fw-highway-job

Comment

Originally posted by chiefs11 View Post
        Call the Dpw city hall take another way this is for sports
        Little forum primer as you seem to struggle- It is OK to post random stuff in a team thread. Scarlet knows a lot of us and this is the quickest way for her to find out.

Comment

BTW, I meant to say that you guys have a great band. (of course, truth be told, you should since about 90% of the musicians I work with who have degrees in music got them at Lowell - three of my former instructors got degrees when it was Lowell State) It was a shame they felt the need to amplify them over the PA system, as it was plenty loud enough and easily heard without it. A couple of those solos were phenomenal. I thought I was listening to a jazz recording. Very impressive. UML has one of the most highly regarded music programs around, at least in the Northeast.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            BTW, I meant to say that you guys have a great band. (of course, truth be told, you should since about 90% of the musicians I work with who have degrees in music got them at Lowell - three of my former instructors got degrees when it was Lowell State) It was a shame they felt the need to amplify them over the PA system, as it was plenty loud enough and easily heard without it. A couple of those solos were phenomenal. I thought I was listening to a jazz recording. Very impressive. UML has one of the most highly regarded music programs around, at least in the Northeast.
            They were awesome all weekend. Highlight of the night. They were more amplified than usual. I wondered if it was to drown the BU band out. I noticed the volume peaked when they were playing over the top of the BU band.(band geek here- they are supposed to take turns and 'respect' the home band ...) I was over in the Zamboni corner and when they were playing at the same time I couldn't hear the BU band. Nice sound system tho- no distortion even if we all left a little deaf.

The BU folk had some brass folk that had beautiful sound. THere are some really weird things fans do when your band plays.

And off hockey (sorry) I love the students with the unicorn, duck, chicken/rooster and what all. They cracked me up!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              There are some really weird things fans do when your band plays.
              Yeah, they have that thing they do where the riding the invisible horse thing (I think it's from Monty Python). And they have been doing that for almost 15 years...funny how things just "stick" after awhile. Another tradition is the "Hey, Baby" after winning a game - an "old" song by Bruce Channel (1962) - You might know it from the movie "Dirty Dancing."

Yes, I have to say I have never heard two bands playing at the same time trying to outdo each other. That was a little annoying...and I DID have a headache leaving there.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                NON-HOCKEY POST

Do any of you Lowell peeps have any idea a) what they're doing to Pawtucket Blvd/VFW Highway/Route 110 between University Ave and Aiken Street and b) have any idea when it will be complete? It's been going on for way too long and it never seems like there are people working on it.

/NON HOCKEY POST
                Thats been going on for what seems like forever I wanna say at least since 2016. They are rebuilding the bridge over Beaver Brook and I believe trying to "straighten" out the curve that hugs the bend in the river. When it will be done? Who knows at this point, it's a disaster area, I avoid it all costs.
                Tully Rink Rat
                Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                Youngstar
                UML Class of 09

Comment

Who is going to band camp this year

Comment

Yeah, they have that thing they do where the riding the invisible horse thing (I think it's from Monty Python). And they have been doing that for almost 15 years...funny how things just "stick" after awhile. Another tradition is the "Hey, Baby" after winning a game - an "old" song by Bruce Channel (1962) - You might know it from the movie "Dirty Dancing."

Yes, I have to say I have never heard two bands playing at the same time trying to outdo each other. That was a little annoying...and I DID have a headache leaving there.
                    They are supposed to defer to the band in the building/home band. They are the 'guests'. Take turns back and forth but for things like penalty called, etc the home band gets the nod. All the other bands follow the rules. BU band does what they want. Our band used to stop playing which stopped the fan momentum. They finally figured out to just play over them. lil les rolls his eyes when they do it because it irks me every time. And of course I say something to him.

Comment

All the other bands follow the rules. BU band does what they want.
                      So is it unreasonable to suggest that the two directors get together before the game (series), just like the referees and the captains at center ice? I only say that because I saw the BU director turn around and look several times before they began to play, so perhaps some signals got crossed?

And understand I don't have a dog (no pun intended ) in this fight...I haven't been a student since the earth was flat, but I have played in ensembles (and still do today) my entire life. I find it hard to believe that those details weren't worked out in advance instead of just having to "assume."

Comment

So is it unreasonable to suggest that the two directors get together before the game (series), just like the referees and the captains at center ice? I only say that because I saw the BU director turn around and look several times before they began to play, so perhaps some signals got crossed?

And understand I don't have a dog (no pun intended ) in this fight...I haven't been a student since the earth was flat, but I have played in ensembles (and still do today) my entire life. I find it hard to believe that those details weren't worked out in advance instead of just having to "assume."
                        No idea. No one else seems to have this problem. I saw the director seem to be aggravated and wave for them to cut the music that was playing - in intro to some of the standard things the arena does- kiss cam, dance thing,etc. b/w the 2nd and 3rd but I usually wasn't paying attention.

I know it is silly and petty of me. Gets under my skin
                        Last edited by leswp1; 03-19-2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Who wants to go to the pops after band camp

Comment

UML wins the Charlie Holt Team Sportsmanship Award from Hockey East. No Lowell players were named on the All-Rookie or any of the First to Third Team Hockey East.
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

• Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                              UML wins the Charlie Holt Team Sportsmanship Award from Hockey East. No Lowell players were named on the All-Rookie or any of the First to Third Team Hockey East.
                              So was it still a good recruit class with all those freshman looked solid to me

Comment

I know it is silly and petty of me. Gets under my skin
                                No..not silly. But I only went to the third game. Did this happen Friday and Saturday, and if so (and he was aggravated), one would think he would have simply gone over and discussed it. If not, it's sort of on him, don't you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X