Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    No idea.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, what part would?
    Joe thinks the Voting Rights Act requires discriminating based on race against White people.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Joe thinks the Voting Rights Act requires discriminating based on race against White people.
      Take a ex-lax.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Take a ex-lax.
        I notice you didn't refute my point.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Why should that ever be the goal?

There should be one goal, and one goal alone. The districts should be created to create, as near as possible, identical population totals in each district, and to do so in the most geometrically normal way. Anything else should automatically be deemed unconstitutional. This idea that we need two "safe" minority districts because we have five "safe" white districts or some such thing is crazy.
          Geometry is your overriding concern? Really?
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Re: Gerrymandering: Quick, Draw!

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Geometry is your overriding concern? Really?
            My overriding concern is "how many" are in the district. The minute anyone inquires "who" is in the district, then you are instantly making it about race, sex, national origin, party affiliation, etc..., and that is improper. At that point you forfeit all right to biatch about gerrymandering. If those are going to be the rules you want, don't whine when you are not in power and they work against you.

Divide them up mathematically in geometric sensible shapes. When you start departing from the geometric sensible shapes, then I know you are asking "who" is in the district.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I don't like "geometry"; I'd prefer "geography". Making a district with a river down the middle and only one bridge and one polling station (so somebody has to cross) seems wrong.

But yes, just raw numbers of voters please, no "who" or "demographics" thank you.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                I don't like "geometry"; I'd prefer "geography". Making a district with a river down the middle and only one bridge and one polling station (so somebody has to cross) seems wrong.

But yes, just raw numbers of voters please, no "who" or "demographics" thank you.
                You start with geometry, but yes you ultimately have to reduce it to geography, since the boundary line needs to be identified by something recognizable, such as a street, highway, county line, etc...
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  My overriding concern is "how many" are in the district. The minute anyone inquires "who" is in the district, then you are instantly making it about race, sex, national origin, party affiliation, etc..., and that is improper. At that point you forfeit all right to biatch about gerrymandering. If those are going to be the rules you want, don't whine when you are not in power and they work against you.

Divide them up mathematically in geometric sensible shapes. When you start departing from the geometric sensible shapes, then I know you are asking "who" is in the district.

While having the logical appearance of being fair and unbiased it's obvious that, since we know who lives where, this results in heavily gerrymandering the district split strongly in favor of r's. Which is what d's are all *****ing about.

For example, let's say we have a state with 12 people. (not unlike ND) And, just pulling letters out of the sky here, let's call them "d's" and "r's". There are 8 d's and 4 r's. 6 of the d's all live next door to each other in their own little bubble and spend their days repeating gossip to each other and reinforcing how stupid all the r's are. The r's do the same, but since they are spread out and also have to spend hours actually making their own latte's rather than just picking one up, they have a bit less of an opportunity to gossip. At any rate, for practical reasons, like how many days wagon ride it is, and the lack of usable watering holes on the way to voting meets, etc., it's been decided to split the state into two districts for voting purposes. Since the 6 d's all live next door to one another, they naturally will be in one group and the remaining 4r's and 2d's in the other. Oddly, despite the 8 d's previously having an 8-4 voting advantage, everything now results in a deadlock.

What might actually be equitable is to have 3 r's + 3'd's vs. 5 d's + 1 r. But that would result in an odd shape, and shapes need to be nice, plus the d's want to go back to the old system, because r's are stupid and should have no say, and 8>4.
                  Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 10-10-2018, 09:58 AM.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    So sayeth the guy who constantly links to 280 character statements and 30 second sound bytes (and yeah, Handy does too, and I don't like it anymore coming from him).
                    To be fair I do it so I dont have to watch CNN or buy a subscription to the NYTs Sometimes it is personal tweets from actual politicians but mostly just links to articles I think are relevant and come from reputable sources. (unlike say the Daily Mail or or the Washington Examiner)

Not saying you should like that better...but it isnt like I am posting tweets from @randomjackhole1 or something. Hell I dont even really know how to use twitter except to find articles of interest
                    Last edited by Handyman; 10-10-2018, 11:26 AM.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Apportioning congressional districts and apportioning voting precincts are two completely different things.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                      X