X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Day of Practice!

Is anyone ready for some D-3 Hockey?

Re: First Day of Practice!

It's so great the USA & Canada even declared it to be a Holiday!!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I will be attending the SNC practice....looking forward to see how the seven new guys look!!
      SNC Men:
      Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
      NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
      SNC Women:
      O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
        Picked up my tickets yesterday!
        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
          Picked up my tickets yesterday!
          You did? We haven't heard a peep from UC, and we've had season tickets forever.

Comment

I got an email from the box office at the Aud on Oct 5 (also saw a tweet then) that tickets could be picked up starting on Saturday the 6th at the box office. (Tickets were sold in the just prior to the end of the season of that other hockey team that plays in Utica.......hope you got yours!)
            2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
            2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
            2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
            2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
            2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
            2009 D-III TOP runner-up
            Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
            1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
              I got an email from the box office at the Aud on Oct 5 (also saw a tweet then) that tickets could be picked up starting on Saturday the 6th at the box office. (Tickets were sold in the just prior to the end of the season of that other hockey team that plays in Utica.......hope you got yours!)
              Thanks Badger. I bought mine there last Spring and was told there would be a ticket party on-campus in September...

Comment

How did Adrian do vs Princeton??

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                  How did Adrian do vs Princeton??
                  Won
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Won
                    Even made the front page here at USCHO....nice job

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                      Even made the front page here at USCHO....nice job
                      ...even outshot them as well.....

But DIII cant compete with DI......
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                        I'm mostly in the D1 hockey side of the forum but one thing I've noticed is that the season start times (for both practice and games) is pretty significantly different compared to other NCAA sports. In other sports D3 vs D1 have differences in season length but for hockey it's almost 3-4 weeks different for regular season games.

Does anyone know if that issue has come up in Naples and if coaches/univ. pres/D3 conferences are open to moving the dates up and/or expanding the season?

Currently, as I understand the D3 rules, D3 hockey teams can't start practice until the second Monday in Oct with a 25 game reg season.

It would be good for D3 hockey, especially with no D2 hockey, for teams to begin practicing a week after D1 and begin playing a week after D1, with regular season starting the 2nd week of Oct. Along with the couple weeks of extension in the playing/practice season, the length could be extended from 25 to 30 games. One befit to hockey fans, is that adjustments like that could create more D3@D1 exhibition games instead of D1s playing almost exclusively Canadian university opponents.

And yes, before anyone jumps at me, I do understand that the Division III philosophy is a balanced collegiate experience with strong focus on academics. Since hockey is largely contained in the upper-midwest and Northeast, bus trips are fairly short, and games almost exclusively on weekends, extending the D3 hockey season a couple weeks wouldn't drastically cut into academics. Some sports play quite frequently on weekday afternoon/evenings.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
                          I'm mostly in the D1 hockey side of the forum but one thing I've noticed is that the season start times (for both practice and games) is pretty significantly different compared to other NCAA sports. In other sports D3 vs D1 have differences in season length but for hockey it's almost 3-4 weeks different for regular season games.

Does anyone know if that issue has come up in Naples and if coaches/univ. pres/D3 conferences are open to moving the dates up and/or expanding the season?

Currently, as I understand the D3 rules, D3 hockey teams can't start practice until the second Monday in Oct with a 25 game reg season.

It would be good for D3 hockey, especially with no D2 hockey, for teams to begin practicing a week after D1 and begin playing a week after D1, with regular season starting the 2nd week of Oct. Along with the couple weeks of extension in the playing/practice season, the length could be extended from 25 to 30 games. One befit to hockey fans, is that adjustments like that could create more D3@D1 exhibition games instead of D1s playing almost exclusively Canadian university opponents.

And yes, before anyone jumps at me, I do understand that the Division III philosophy is a balanced collegiate experience with strong focus on academics. Since hockey is largely contained in the upper-midwest and Northeast, bus trips are fairly short, and games almost exclusively on weekends, extending the D3 hockey season a couple weeks wouldn't drastically cut into academics. Some sports play quite frequently on weekday afternoon/evenings.
                          Don’t forget about support staffs that have to accommodate the extra time of the season is extended. Athletic Training, Equipment Room and Sports Information staffs at D3 are far different from the majority of Division I. The crossover period when fall sports and winter sports are both going full bore is a bear to try and handle for many D3 support staffs. Lengthening the season even more will create even more strain.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

I think it would cut into academics. The late start time allows players to establish themselves in classes, develop a rapport with their profs and classmates and, hopefully, adjust to school and hockey if they are rookies/freshmen. There is more focus on hockey in Div.1 and I'm assuming the parameters and expectations for school might be different. In Div.3 I don't think the academic side is too interested in possible late assignments or missed classes that might occur with a fuller hockey schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by MELIN27 View Post
                              I think it would cut into academics. The late start time allows players to establish themselves in classes, develop a rapport with their profs and classmates and, hopefully, adjust to school and hockey if they are rookies/freshmen. There is more focus on hockey in Div.1 and I'm assuming the parameters and expectations for school might be different. In Div.3 I don't think the academic side is too interested in possible late assignments or missed classes that might occur with a fuller hockey schedule.
                              Hockey is already the longest season, spanning five months with an October 8th start date and then the league championship weekend being the first weekend in March. Add on another three weeks for the four teams that make the final four..
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X