Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Generic Catchy Message

Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

We'll get the one team I didn't really want to see in the playoffs. Although, I suppose all that puck luck against the Irish has to turn our way at some point.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    We'll get the one team I didn't really want to see in the playoffs. Although, I suppose all that puck luck against the Irish has to turn our way at some point.
    That is how I am approaching it. We seem cursed against the Irish but we skate against them as well as anyone.

Section T since 1978

Three of the four games were close. I'd like to see MSU take a game and end the year with more wins than last year.

While I think we were all hoping to end the year someplace other than last again, this team is better than last year's. In Pairwise we're 27 out of 60 which is an improvement. If you look at who we played this year only two teams are below us in the bottom half of teams showing we did not play an easy schedule.

What we have is a great number one line (all recruited by Anastos, but developed by Cole). A defense that is improving from the horrible place it was in when Cole took over. Not perfect, but better. With such a young defense, there should be continued improvement next year with 6 of the regulars expected to return. The Apap checking line has been consistently good. What has stopped this team from being more successful is the lack of enough secondary scoring. Enough for now...we can speculate about next year once we have a better idea if anyone leaves (Hirosi probably if he gets a decent offer) and who Cole decides to bring in. Unfortunately, our top recruit is expected to go the OHL route.

Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    Three of the four games were close. I'd like to see MSU take a game and end the year with more wins than last year.

While I think we were all hoping to end the year someplace other than last again, this team is better than last year's. In Pairwise we're 27 out of 60 which is an improvement. If you look at who we played this year only two teams are below us in the bottom half of teams showing we did not play an easy schedule.

What we have is a great number one line (all recruited by Anastos, but developed by Cole). A defense that is improving from the horrible place it was in when Cole took over. Not perfect, but better. With such a young defense, there should be continued improvement next year with 6 of the regulars expected to return. The Apap checking line has been consistently good. What has stopped this team from being more successful is the lack of enough secondary scoring. Enough for now...we can speculate about next year once we have a better idea if anyone leaves (Hirosi probably if he gets a decent offer) and who Cole decides to bring in. Unfortunately, our top recruit is expected to go the OHL route.
    It is a shame that we have yet to top our win total from last year. I feel this was a better team and more enjoyable to watch than the previous several years.

I think we can beat Notre Dame. Well, we can beat anybody but I have a good feeling about going to ND. Those posts are gonna start bouncing into the net.

occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    It is a shame that we have yet to top our win total from last year. I feel this was a better team and more enjoyable to watch than the previous several years.

I think we can beat Notre Dame. Well, we can beat anybody but I have a good feeling about going to ND. Those posts are gonna start bouncing into the net.
    I definitely agree with that first statement. I think over time we're seeing the results of Danton putting his stamp on the program.

We've been so close with Notre Dame this year I'm wondering if this team can put it all together and get that luck going our way.

Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    I definitely agree with that first statement. I think over time we're seeing the results of Danton putting his stamp on the program.

We've been so close with Notre Dame this year I'm wondering if this team can put it all together and get that luck going our way.

Go Green!
    Well, not yet.

We just can’t score on these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Well, not yet.

We just can’t score on these guys.
    Boys played there ashes off tonight. Tenacious defensively, but stifled offensively. Up against a great goalie but guys that block a ton of shots in front of him.

Now we hold our collective breaths.

What if Danton can find the 2019-20 a nice transfer?

Taro Hirose to Toronto?

Section T since 1978
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    What if Danton can find the 2019-20 a nice transfer?

Taro Hirose to Toronto?
    Yes, he is the one player expected to leave early. So looks like room for a dman and 3 forwards. Best future players are in the 2020 class....

Coach Emeritus

Taro Hirose has signed a 2 year entry level deal with the Detroit Red Wings.

Generic Catchy Message

Happy for him. Sad we won't get to see him at Munn again.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Happy for him. Sad we won't get to see him at Munn again.
    Pretty neat he went to Detroit, though.

Anyways, completely expected. Eyes on Khodorenko. I think he’ll leave but if we retain him then it will be huge.

I'm not sure Khodorenko skates well enough for the NHL yet, though his playmaking and hockey sense should get him a serious look. Hopefully he stays for his senior year, but a chance to play for a last place team again may not be too enticing. Without Hirose this team just got significantly worse.

Section T since 1978
    Quote Originally Posted by spartyon58 View Post
    I'm not sure Khodorenko skates well enough for the NHL yet, though his playmaking and hockey sense should get him a serious look. Hopefully he stays for his senior year, but a chance to play for a last place team again may not be too enticing. Without Hirose this team just got significantly worse.
    Hearing they will be bringing Nodler in a year early....if true we’ll be fine.

Hearing they will be bringing Nodler in a year early....if true we’ll be fine.
    Not sure I'd characterize things as fine. Bringing Nodler in early is certainly a good start, but it hardly compensates for losing an NHL-ready player in Hirose, and presumably Afanasyev. Make no mistake, Cole's still got a lot of work to do on the 2019-2020 incoming class to be more competitive than we were this season.

What about Lewandowski are you guys expecting him back? I would think he comes back for one more.

Generic Catchy Message

Fully expecting him back. Personally Hirose is the only one I expected to leave. Khodorenko is the only other with rumors attached.

Section T since 1978
    Quote Originally Posted by klbaum1077 View Post
    What about Lewandowski are you guys expecting him back? I would think he comes back for one more.
    Because of his size, Lewandowski is likely a 4 year player.

Yes, he is the one player expected to leave early. So looks like room for a dman and 3 forwards. Best future players are in the 2020 class....
    Yes it appears that the 2019-20 incoming are big, while the 2020-21's are talented. Chomping at the bit to see the latter!

Fighting for the only colors.

Quote Originally Posted by spartyon58 View Post
    IIRC, the entire KHL line was getting a hard look. I still think there's a coin-flip chance we'll lose Lewandowski and Khodorenko, but no recent news is probably good news.

On the bright side, MSU is probably in a position of late-cycle recruiting strength with the losses of Hirose and Afanasyev. I'm guessing there are two full scholarships there.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Thread Information