Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Hockey fan with an MSU bias

Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

I would pick a split again this weekend. With the extra week to prepare and hopefully straighten some things out after the exhibition and NMU I like our chances to steal a win.

Generic Catchy Message

We're going to have to lock down on D and the PK this weekend. Not sure how good Guelph and Laurentian are, but 6 and 7 goals is a lot to put on the board.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Section T since 1978
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    We're going to have to lock down on D and the PK this weekend. Not sure how good Guelph and Laurentian are, but 6 and 7 goals is a lot to put on the board.
    I always treat games against Canadian schools as suspect as you donít often know how seriously each team took them. Play everyone, or only the top lines? Play the number 1 goalie or give the backup game experience? How fast was the pace? Playing physical or playing to avoid possible injury? Regardless, I agree that we need to be on our game this weekend If we want to take a game.

Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    I always treat games against Canadian schools as suspect as you donít often know how seriously each team took them. Play everyone, or only the top lines? Play the number 1 goalie or give the backup game experience? How fast was the pace? Playing physical or playing to avoid possible injury? Regardless, I agree that we need to be on our game this weekend If we want to take a game.
    Yeah, itís always tough to tell for the reasons you listed and some of those Canadian teams are definitely better than others.

Cornell is famous for its tough, defensive minded style, though. No surprise they allowed 1 goal through 2 exhibitions.

Section T since 1978

Good game for MSU. Nice to see them put up 5 goals against a good Cornell team.

Section T since 1978

MSU sweeps with a 4-3 victory over Cornell. Should show up in the rankings this week for the first time in a while.

MSU sweeps with a 4-3 victory over Cornell. Should show up in the rankings this week for the first time in a while.
    I could not be more pleased with this weekend. I would have bet my apartment that MSU wouldnít get the sweep out there. Great stuff.

Weíre scoring goals consistently for the first time in what, a decade? Too early to say Cornell is a powerhouse again but that was most of last yearís top 4 team and a returning goaltender giving up 1.5 GA. The team may have thrown out their backs carrying the rest of the B1G.

1 criticism: penalties. Way too many and itís turning into a trend. Last night MSU had 12 penalties and Cornell had 8 powerplays. MSU only had 3. We wonít be winning many games with a difference like that. Gotta clean that up.

Generic Catchy Message

What is this optimism I'm feeling? I've forgotten what to do with it.

1966, 1986, 2007

I read the college hockey news piece on Cornell getting swept by MSU. It didn't say much on MSU.. which is a shame. You would think they would give MSU some credit...

here is the article: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...or-Big-Red.php

occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    What is this optimism I'm feeling? I've forgotten what to do with it.
    LOL. Seems like a statement weekend, so early in the season.

It's nice to see 3 lines scoring, going 5-for-5 on PK on Friday, and overcoming 12 penalties on Saturday. 9 goals all told - 7 of them against a really good goalie, and a road sweep against a team returning 85% of its scoring from a #1-seeded team in last season's NCAAs.

Pleased to add:
    * MSU is 14th in the way-too-early Pairwise and RPI. But comparisons matter at the beginning of the season as much as at the end in this system so ...
    * Hirose is tops in points-per-game, who is not playing for Harvard or Dartmouth (each having played but one game).
    Last edited by owslachief; 11-02-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Hirose was recognized today as the first star in the Big Ten last week. Surprisingly it is the first time he has been the #1 Star in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by gomsuman View Post
    Hirose was recognized today as the first star in the Big Ten last week. Surprisingly it is the first time he has been the #1 Star in his career.
    Hard to believe, as part of a line so good it only needs 3 letters to ID it. Best player on the roster right now.

Generic Catchy Message

Also NCAA first star.

Big weekend against Ferris. Sweep and we're definitely ranked.

1966, 1986, 2007

I read the college hockey news piece on Cornell getting swept by MSU. It didn't say much on MSU.. which is a shame. You would think they would give MSU some credit...

here is the article: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...or-Big-Red.php
    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2018/10/30_Team-of-the-Week-Michigan.php

Team of the week! Huzzah!

Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    Hard to believe, as part of a line so good it only needs 3 letters to ID it. Best player on the roster right now.
    Just out of curiosity...has there ever been a line this dominate night in, night out? Where would this line rank all time (that you can remember) for you guys?

Section T since 1978
    Just out of curiosity...has there ever been a line this dominate night in, night out? Where would this line rank all time (that you can remember) for you guys?
    Yup, Culp,, Ross, Rice in the 1970ís was the best. Iíd put the Mike Donnelly line from mid-80ís in 2nd place.
    Last edited by wsummers; 10-31-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Yup, Culp,, Ross, Rice in the 1970’s was the best. I’d put the Mike Donnelly line from mid-80’s in 2nd place.
    Kennedy-Crowder-Abdelkader made a lot of noise too. Wouldn't it be nice for the KHL line to take us where they did

(edit) And not have two of them give us just three years
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-31-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Section T since 1978
    Yup, Culp,, Ross, Rice in the 1970ís was the best. Iíd put the Mike Donnelly line from mid-80ís in 2nd place.
    To follow up for younger fans...from 1972-1976

Tom Ross 138 g 186 a
    Steve Colp 132 g. 168 a
    Daryl Rice 96 g. 129 a

Yet, they never played in the NCAA tournament. As dangerous as they were MSU was a 1 line team with average dmen. 1 line can only take you so far.

Coach Emeritus
    Beginning to plan for the 99th season of Tech hockey

Ross-Colp-Rice were great, but they probably weren't even the best line in the league then. Mike Zuke-George Lyle-Jim Mayer at Tech were even more dominant and took the Huskies to three straight NCAA title games.

Don't forget about Pat Murray-Kip Miller-Dwayne Norris in 1989-90. Those three were so much fun to watch together. They were the last of the high-flyers before clutch-and-grab took over.

Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Don't forget about Pat Murray-Kip Miller-Dwayne Norris in 1989-90. Those three were so much fun to watch together. They were the last of the high-flyers before clutch-and-grab took over.
    Indeed - good call. Two first-team All-Americans (Miller twice, Norris once) there.

Thread Information