Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    Latest expectation is he goes to Windsor for a year then NHL....Cole doesn’t expect him to go the college route.
    If Cole's talking about a guy who hasn't signed an LOI then it's definitely a done deal the recruit is gone.

Trying to decide if anything more should be read into Rosburg's joining the 3 seniors on the ice after the alma mater. Yes, I'm aware they arrived on campus together four years ago.

Odds are good MSU ends up in 7th place after it's all done, although it doesn't feel like a 2017-18 7th place. May well end up that way again in 2019-20. One mitigating cause for optimism though is some freshmen have really figured it out of late. Will just have to see what happens with decisions made by one or 2 of our juniors. Seniors and sophomores will be carrying much of the load next season. Then it's 2020-21 and an extremely promising freshman class lined up - all Danton's guys save for Nodler.
    Last edited by owslachief; 02-17-2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      If Cole's talking about a guy who hasn't signed an LOI then it's definitely a done deal the recruit is gone.

Trying to decide if anything more should be read into Rosburg's joining the 3 seniors on the ice after the alma mater. Yes, I'm aware they arrived on campus together four years ago.

Odds are good MSU ends up in 7th place after it's all done, although it doesn't feel like a 2017-18 7th place. May well end up that way again in 2019-20. One mitigating cause for optimism though is some freshmen have really figured it out of late. Will just have to see what happens with decisions made by one or 2 of our juniors. Seniors and sophomores will be carrying much of the load next season. Then it's 2020-21 and an extremely promising freshman class lined up - all Danton's guys save for Nodler.
      Most people seem to assume Nodler is a 2020 guy but i’m not sure. If he came in next fall he’d be about the same age that Afanasyev would be and where the Krygier twins were. He’s at a point per game pace in the USHL and is nearly 200 pounds. Seems college ready to me but i’ve Never seen him in person.

Comment

Add Matt Basgall to the 2021 class. He a dman who is now with Omaha. At 5’9 180, not big, but since he’s still a high school sophomore he may not be done growing.

Comment

Add Matt Basgall to the 2021 class. He a dman who is now with Omaha. At 5’9 180, not big, but since he’s still a high school sophomore he may not be done growing.
          Hopefully. Height isn't everything, but it'd be nice if we could start making 6ft+ the average rather than a special get. Cole did a good job with that this past year's class.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

With ND/Minn still to play this may be moot, but I believe we're already out of home-ice contention with the results so far. Only three points the last two weekends didn't help, and neither has OSU losing their last three to teams we really needed them to beat.

Best we can get is 33 which would at best tie us with Minnesota and Michigan if they lose out.

We lose out on the regulation/OT win tiebreaker with Minnesota, and lose the season series tiebreaker with Michigan.

For either of the above to even come into affect, it would mean ND has also secured home-ice, so there's the three first round hosts.

Looking back, not too many games we gave away to wish for more points. With better puck luck we probably could've taken 7/12 against ND instead of 1/12, and the lone point came in a game we gave up the tying goal with three minutes left, so you could almost look at that and say we could have 8 more points. Other than that, would've been nice to pick up points last Saturday, but we did well at winning/tying the close games this year.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I may be early, but it may be time for my annual profanity-laced tirade. Bleeping-blippity bleep bleep bleepin' blip.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                I may be early, but it may be time for my annual profanity-laced tirade. Bleeping-blippity bleep bleep bleepin' blip.
                If you’re this mad on an off week then i’ve got bad news about an approaching 6 month stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                  Only three points the last two weekends didn't help, and neither has OSU losing their last three to teams we really needed them to beat.
                  Sorry about that. Would it help if we sweep this weekend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    Sorry about that. Would it help if we sweep this weekend?
                    Save your energy for the playoffs...let us sweep you this weekend...

Comment

Save your energy for the playoffs...let us sweep you this weekend...
                      Always up for suggestions although the ones from the student section at Yost last weekend were rather inappropriate!
                      Ran into a young man wearing a MSU hoodie at the grocery here last night and we had a very nice impromptu discussion about both our programs.

Comment

We'll get the one team I didn't really want to see in the playoffs. Although, I suppose all that puck luck against the Irish has to turn our way at some point.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          We'll get the one team I didn't really want to see in the playoffs. Although, I suppose all that puck luck against the Irish has to turn our way at some point.
                          That is how I am approaching it. We seem cursed against the Irish but we skate against them as well as anyone.

Comment

Three of the four games were close. I'd like to see MSU take a game and end the year with more wins than last year.

While I think we were all hoping to end the year someplace other than last again, this team is better than last year's. In Pairwise we're 27 out of 60 which is an improvement. If you look at who we played this year only two teams are below us in the bottom half of teams showing we did not play an easy schedule.

What we have is a great number one line (all recruited by Anastos, but developed by Cole). A defense that is improving from the horrible place it was in when Cole took over. Not perfect, but better. With such a young defense, there should be continued improvement next year with 6 of the regulars expected to return. The Apap checking line has been consistently good. What has stopped this team from being more successful is the lack of enough secondary scoring. Enough for now...we can speculate about next year once we have a better idea if anyone leaves (Hirosi probably if he gets a decent offer) and who Cole decides to bring in. Unfortunately, our top recruit is expected to go the OHL route.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                              Three of the four games were close. I'd like to see MSU take a game and end the year with more wins than last year.

While I think we were all hoping to end the year someplace other than last again, this team is better than last year's. In Pairwise we're 27 out of 60 which is an improvement. If you look at who we played this year only two teams are below us in the bottom half of teams showing we did not play an easy schedule.

What we have is a great number one line (all recruited by Anastos, but developed by Cole). A defense that is improving from the horrible place it was in when Cole took over. Not perfect, but better. With such a young defense, there should be continued improvement next year with 6 of the regulars expected to return. The Apap checking line has been consistently good. What has stopped this team from being more successful is the lack of enough secondary scoring. Enough for now...we can speculate about next year once we have a better idea if anyone leaves (Hirosi probably if he gets a decent offer) and who Cole decides to bring in. Unfortunately, our top recruit is expected to go the OHL route.
                              It is a shame that we have yet to top our win total from last year. I feel this was a better team and more enjoyable to watch than the previous several years.

I think we can beat Notre Dame. Well, we can beat anybody but I have a good feeling about going to ND. Those posts are gonna start bouncing into the net.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                                It is a shame that we have yet to top our win total from last year. I feel this was a better team and more enjoyable to watch than the previous several years.

I think we can beat Notre Dame. Well, we can beat anybody but I have a good feeling about going to ND. Those posts are gonna start bouncing into the net.
                                I definitely agree with that first statement. I think over time we're seeing the results of Danton putting his stamp on the program.

We've been so close with Notre Dame this year I'm wondering if this team can put it all together and get that luck going our way.

Go Green!

Comment

Working...
                                X