Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    Now it seems we're back to where we started. One reliable goalie, the other still acclimating to this level, and a frank realization that the formula to beating MSU is to body-up & frustrate the top line.
    I think you've stated it perfectly, although I started at about a 5 and I'm still there. While I think Cole has a great pipeline of F recruits, many in the USHL currently, I admittedly wasn't too wowed by last season's late F pick-ups (mature guys who don't seem to get a lot of ice time this season) and this season's incoming F crop. So I was willing to take a "wait and see" position and, given it's still early, I suppose lines 2-4 deserve more time. That having been said, I'm honestly not expecting much at this point but hope to be pleasantly surprised and will always admit when I'm wrong.

Comment

I agree my expectations for this group took a little step back after this weekend. But we also have to remember it was three time zones away, ASU is probably a little bit better than people realize just yet, and it was an unusual venue for a college hockey game. So maybe losing by a total of three goals in two games wasn't THAT bad.. This weekend will be a better judge of where we stand. If we get completely dominated by ND then I will start to worry.

Comment

Well, I had to miss friday’s Game but from what I hear it was very similar to tonight. A pity we come away with nothing because I thought we looked pretty dang good for at least 40 minutes. We just as easily could be looking at 2 wins. Gotta be tough for the team because I thought we played **** hard. ND does not make it easy. They clog the front of the net as good as any team in the nation. We had our chances and the puck just didn’t bounce our way.

On the flip side our defense looked good as well as both goalies.

Thos **** goalposts, though.

Comment

Iron was definitely not our friend this weekend, though I suppose you have to chalk that up to Morris because he forces you to beat him high in those tight spots. Tough weekend in that we could easily have done anything from 0-2-0 to 0-0-2 to 2-0-0, but it's nice to see them act like they've played together before. I mean, I know Arizona State is a good team, but that barn must be some type of mindwarp.

We have a good chance next week. Olympic ice, but the Gophers have struggled this year and it looks like we finally have a team that can control the intensity for a majority of the game.

Turnovers leading to a break are still plaguing this team, as is Lethemon giving up giant rebounds. Both of those factors led to ND's first goal last night, which finally gave them some life.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Iron was definitely not our friend this weekend, though I suppose you have to chalk that up to Morris because he forces you to beat him high in those tight spots. Tough weekend in that we could easily have done anything from 0-2-0 to 0-0-2 to 2-0-0, but it's nice to see them act like they've played together before. I mean, I know Arizona State is a good team, but that barn must be some type of mindwarp.

We have a good chance next week. Olympic ice, but the Gophers have struggled this year and it looks like we finally have a team that can control the intensity for a majority of the game.

Turnovers leading to a break are still plaguing this team, as is Lethemon giving up giant rebounds. Both of those factors led to ND's first goal last night, which finally gave them some life.
            It seems counter intuitive but I am more heartened now than I was 1 week ago. I wasn’t totally sure what to make of those performances in Arizona. This weekend, despite the results, proved to me that we do in fact have a competitive team. I’d even say more than competitive. I don’t think there was any real separation between MSU and ND and if there is it’s in MSU’s favor.
            Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-18-2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
              It seems counter intuitive but I am more heartened now than I was 1 week ago. I wasn’t totally sure what to make of those performances in Arizona. This weekend, despite the results, proved to me that we do in fact have a competitive team. I’d even say more than competitive. I don’t think there was any real separation between MSU and ND and if there is it’s in MSU’s favor.
              I'm with you there. I think there's a tendency to get discouraged if you're a player, but #1 the goaltending appears to have stabilized (statement is bound to be the kiss of death), and #2 I think State just needs to get a couple goals in a short span to get that confidence back. I have a feeling that when that happens - especially if they come from other lines - the mini-floodgates could open. It sounded like a freaky set of little things happened over the weekend, a rare mistake here and there, a strange bounce, etc. or it could have easily been a split. That one turnover, that one extra pass during a good chance that went to a winger's backhand instead of his forehand.

On the other hand, where will that other scoring come from, if it doesn't involve K, H or L? It doesn't get any easier, with rare exceptions, from here. Making my first trip to Mariucci to see what all the fuss is there

Comment

We have a good chance next week. Olympic ice, but the Gophers have struggled this year
                Understatment of the year. Seriously....you should be extremely disappointed if you don't come away with at least 5 points this weekend.
                National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

What is this optimism I'm feeling? I've forgotten what to do with it.
                  ...and it's gone.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

...and it's gone.
                    And it’s back!

But really, we needed a win something fierce.

Still have no clear resolution regarding goaltending. I imagine we’ll be splitting duty there for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                      Still have no clear resolution regarding goaltending. I imagine we’ll be splitting duty there for the foreseeable future.
                      My understanding is that DeRidder played well vs. Minny last night after getting the quick hook in Friday's game. So I agree it will be goaltending by committee until one of Lethemon or DeRidder demonstrates consistency, grabs the starting goalie opportunity and runs with it. Neither of these guys is a Cole recruit, so I wonder if he'd be more likely to go back to the well if after a time, neither guy evolves into the clear-cut favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                        Neither of these guys is a Cole recruit.
                        ???

DeRidder is a true freshman this season. He was part of Danton's recruiting class for 2018.

At the moment, there isn't a lot of separation between Lethemon and DeRidder. The difference? Lethemon is essentially at his ceiling right now, where DeRidder is just getting started. If this team is going to go anywhere this season, they have to get goaltending that can steal a game and Lethemon just flat out can't be counted on to do that. If Lethemon has to play more than 12-15 games, then DeRidder just hasn't developed enough to be that game stealing performer that he has the potential to be.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          ???

DeRidder is a true freshman this season. He was part of Danton's recruiting class for 2018.

At the moment, there isn't a lot of separation between Lethemon and DeRidder. The difference? Lethemon is essentially at his ceiling right now, where DeRidder is just getting started. If this team is going to go anywhere this season, they have to get goaltending that can steal a game and Lethemon just flat out can't be counted on to do that. If Lethemon has to play more than 12-15 games, then DeRidder just hasn't developed enough to be that game stealing performer that he has the potential to be.
                          My point is that DeRidder was originally recruited by previous HC Anastos - he committed to MSU in August 2016 per the article below, before Cole was hired by MSU in April 2017. Thus, not technically a Cole recruit, although Cole honored the commit and DeRidder indeed matriculated for the 2018-19 season.

http://mihockey.com/2016/08/recruiti...ichigan-state/

That having been said, I agree with you that DeRidder is entitled to battle for the starting role. Time will tell whether he develops sufficiently.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                            My point is that DeRidder was originally recruited by previous HC Anastos - he committed to MSU in August 2016 per the article below, before Cole was hired by MSU in April 2017. Thus, not technically a Cole recruit, although Cole honored the commit and DeRidder indeed matriculated for the 2018-19 season.

http://mihockey.com/2016/08/recruiti...ichigan-state/

That having been said, I agree with you that DeRidder is entitled to battle for the starting role. Time will tell whether he develops sufficiently.
                            Indeed - DeRidder must have been all too happy to keep his commitment under the new regime after committing for Anastos.

Odd thing about the crowd last night, at least from the perspective of sitting in the Southeast end: after MSU's 3rd goal I swear a third of the crowd was making for the exits. Is this the rule more than the exception?

Comment

Case in point tonight - DeRidder was the difference. Got outshoot and outchanced, but he stepped up and did what he needed to and a little more. Meantime, Lavigne was rotten on the other end and almost singlehandedly lost that game for the skunks.

If DeRidder can stay at that level or better, this team can make some noise. Far and away his best game to date.

Comment

Boy, I needed a couple drinks after that one. What a thriller.

We probably didn’t play our best game but we were very physical and the effort was off the charts. I thought all lines had their moments, especially Sanford’s third line. Great game from them.

DeRidder was incredible. I don’t think any of the goals were on him and he made a ton of huge saves. That’s gotta be an incredible feeling for him to get that win as a freshman. His first win at Munn, I believe.

UM was better than I anticipated. They were more organized defensively and did a good job blocking shots. Goaltending let them down. We’ll need to be better tonight if we want the sweep.

Comment

Working...
                                X