Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Probably got too confident after that 5-3 win over Ferris, but a 4-1-0 record and an on ice chemistry we hadn’t seen in years was on display that night. Not sure what happened during the bus ride to Big Rapids but nothings been the same since.
    Ferris State is not a very good team, so unfortunately there's not a whole lot of positives you can take away from that series.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
      Ferris State is not a very good team, so unfortunately there's not a whole lot of positives you can take away from that series.
      True, but it was more a culmination of all the positives that the team had built up against NMU and Cornell.

Also, we gotta be #1 in the nation at centering the puck with no one there. Immensely frustrating no one recognizes that they need to fill in. Probablt turned it over 10+ times yesterday doing that.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Well, can't make it Friday but looking forward to being there for Saturday's game. Munn's a very nice arena with a great hockey atmosphere.

Comment

I guess you can’t say the GLI weekend was anything other than a disappointment with 0 wins. However, I do not believe we played poorly at all. 2 very competitive games against solid competition and we very easily could have been 2-0. I just wish more of these types of games would fall our way.

Tough series with OSU coming up. I hope we manage to get the split at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
            I guess you can’t say the GLI weekend was anything other than a disappointment with 0 wins. However, I do not believe we played poorly at all. 2 very competitive games against solid competition and we very easily could have been 2-0. I just wish more of these types of games would fall our way.
            Makes me wonder if the outcome would've been different had Cole started DeRidder vs. LSSU. You typically start your strongest goalie in game #1 of a tourney, and it seems like we still haven't figured out which goalie that is.

Comment

It ended in a tie, but tonight was the biggest win of the season. Really glad we ended up taking the 3x3 point for momentum going into tomorrow. If only it was so easy to score every night...

Nice to see Cesana showing up as routinely in the box score as the KHL these days.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

It ended in a tie, but tonight was the biggest win of the season. Really glad we ended up taking the 3x3 point for momentum going into tomorrow. If only it was so easy to score every night...

Nice to see Cesana showing up as routinely in the box score as the KHL these days.
                I guess the Christmas season lingers as that was quite a gift we gave you last night.

Comment

Well let that be a lesson to everyone who left early last night. Wow.

Comment

Well, we played a good first ten minutes, and a decent final ten, and that's pretty much it from last night. About the only thing on the ice to talk about is the Nappier trip/slash/clothesline/whatever you want to call it that somehow turned into a penalty on us. Cole mentioned there's no way anyone saw the play or they couldn't have possibly called it that way, and I gotta agree with that.

Off the ice, can't say I was overly impressed with the OSU visitors section. Strange, because I don't remember there being issues Friday, let alone all the other years of B1G and CCHA play, but after their first goal last night it was a constant barrage of taunts, and not very good ones at that (telling everyone to warm up the bus and go home doesn't really work when we're the home team).

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Well, we played a good first ten minutes, and a decent final ten, and that's pretty much it from last night. About the only thing on the ice to talk about is the Nappier trip/slash/clothesline/whatever you want to call it that somehow turned into a penalty on us. Cole mentioned there's no way anyone saw the play or they couldn't have possibly called it that way, and I gotta agree with that.

Off the ice, can't say I was overly impressed with the OSU visitors section. Strange, because I don't remember there being issues Friday, let alone all the other years of B1G and CCHA play, but after their first goal last night it was a constant barrage of taunts, and not very good ones at that (telling everyone to warm up the bus and go home doesn't really work when we're the home team).
                      Yeah, Tommy did take a dive and was all smiles after the call. Looks like one of the MSU students got her 5 seconds of fame on B1G Network giving Nappier some love. LOL!
                      BTW, I was one of the behaved OSU fans. I Cheered and applauded and high fived when we scored of course but nothing more. I respect that we're in someone else's barn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

There were 2 or 3 in that group that made poor guests and 1 in particular was an absolute ********. I am pretty sure that group was not there Friday night. There was no way anyone within 3 sections either direction wouldn’t have noticed.

The Nappier thing was also frustrating. OSU was on a 5 min power play and was up by 4 goals so he decides to pull that stunt? And gets rewarded for it? What a joke.

As for the game, the first period felt like the most complete of the weekend. No score but the chaos and sloppiness that was rampant the night before was gone. Then in the 2nd period OSU just killed us. The third was harder
                        to peg because it just turned into a gongshow.

Our goaltending, though. Oof. I feel like for a long time you could rely on our goalies to consistently carry us. DeRidder has given us a few big games but the well of great Spartan goalies seems to have dried up for the time being.

Comment

Do I sense another forward recruited/committed in the near future? Lebster jumped ship in the Fall, and Matthew Miller has now changed his commitment to UNO.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            Do I sense another forward recruited/committed in the near future? Lebster jumped ship in the Fall, and Matthew Miller has now changed his commitment to UNO.
                            There might be a couple. The scuttlebutt on the RCMB is that Afanasyev will be jumping ship to the OHL shortly. That would be...a blow, to say the least. So, hopefully it’s just nonsense or he changes his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              There might be a couple. The scuttlebutt on the RCMB is that Afanasyev will be jumping ship to the OHL shortly. That would be...a blow, to say the least. So, hopefully it’s just nonsense or he changes his mind.
                              Would be a shame. We caught his act in Muskegon a couple weekends ago. Men among boys.

Comment

Split in Happy Valley which is always an acceptable result. Looks like we played very well last night and the b-ball team was there for support.

Defense and goaltending has struggled the last several weeks. Teams are routinely putting up 4 or more goals and a ton of shots. I think we have this week offf so there’s plenty to work on.

Correction: I was looking at friday’s games and saw we weren’t playing so assumed we were off this week. Our games are Saturday and Sunday.
                                Last edited by Pirateasaur; 01-14-2019, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X