Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Boy, I needed a couple drinks after that one. What a thriller.

We probably didn’t play our best game but we were very physical and the effort was off the charts. I thought all lines had their moments, especially Sanford’s third line. Great game from them.

DeRidder was incredible. I don’t think any of the goals were on him and he made a ton of huge saves. That’s gotta be an incredible feeling for him to get that win as a freshman. His first win at Munn, I believe.

UM was better than I anticipated. They were more organized defensively and did a good job blocking shots. Goaltending let them down. We’ll need to be better tonight if we want the sweep.
    I agree, under Pearson Michigan especially the forwards are much more responsible defensively. Under Red it was often blue chippers playing as individuals showcasing their talents to the NHL. Pearson has them playing as a team.

What we saw last night is what MSU must do consistently to win this year. Great goaltending and defensive play and balanced scoring. Nice to see the Apap line, basically a checking line, start to score a few with the addition of Stevens.

Comment

Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

I believe it was Meat Loaf who said five out of six ain't bad.

And we may have found our #1 in DeRidder.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
        I believe it was Meat Loaf who said five out of six ain't bad.

And we may have found our #1 in DeRidder.
        He definitely appears to have settled in. That's a big-time test on many fronts (hostile atmosphere, penalty kills, 3x3, shoot-out). He passed all the tests Saturday.

Comment

Latest commit is Winter Wilderness Wallace for 2021. He’s a 6’2” center on Shattuck St. Mary’s U16 from Colorado. Drafted in 7th round by Cedar Rapids.

https://mobile.***********/winterwallace8?lang=en
          Last edited by wsummers; 12-04-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Well, I for one, am disappointed.

Comment

Well, I for one, am disappointed.
              I'm reminded of that year that Jeff Lerg was was the only guy getting a Star. The effort Saturday was pathetic.

Comment

It's mid-December and time to see where this team is compared to what I was expecting (hoping).

The KHL line is as good as expected. Beyond that the team is playing better hockey, although the results don't always indicate it. My hope was a second line would materialize...it hasn't. When the 3rd checking line is outscoring your 2nd scoring line (with 4 total goals in 16 games) you have a problem. As a result, unless the KHL line and/or goaltender has an outstanding game we lose.

This team is going to win a few more games, the question is will there be enough wins to escape 7th place?

Looking into the future...there are at least 3 players leaving and at least 10 (several having good years) scheduled to replace them. Obviously a number of those will be told to wait a year. Will be interesting to see if the KHL line stays together one more year and if somehow a 2nd line can be put together.
                Last edited by wsummers; 12-15-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Fun exhibition last night. Fast paced and lots of chances for both teams. After an ominous first several minutes I thought MSU settled in nicely and I liked our game the rest of the way.

5 forward lines rolled equally and some interesting combinations. No Hirose for some reason so I found it interesting that Keefer was elevated to the KKL line. He has worked his way into the lineup in recent weeks and did well last night so we’ll probably be seeing more of him.

The U18 is pretty dang good. They have good speed, skate beautifully and can really move the puck. That’s probably one of the better editions of that team i’ve seen in some time. We got outstanding goaltending and maybe a bit of puck luck to keep them off the board.

Comment

Perhaps it was agreed upon in advance to prevent serious injury - we don't play our best player, Hirose, and they didn't play their best player, Hughes.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                      Perhaps it was agreed upon in advance to prevent serious injury - we don't play our best player, Hirose, and they didn't play their best player, Hughes.
                      Hughes is off skating with the World Junior team. Perhaps we were just sitting Hirose for the reason you mentioned.

Neither of the Krygiers were there but we know one has been out with a broken hand.

Comment

Fun exhibition last night. Fast paced and lots of chances for both teams. After an ominous first several minutes I thought MSU settled in nicely and I liked our game the rest of the way.

5 forward lines rolled equally and some interesting combinations. No Hirose for some reason so I found it interesting that Keefer was elevated to the KKL line. He has worked his way into the lineup in recent weeks and did well last night so we’ll probably be seeing more of him.

The U18 is pretty dang good. They have good speed, skate beautifully and can really move the puck. That’s probably one of the better editions of that team i’ve seen in some time. We got outstanding goaltending and maybe a bit of puck luck to keep them off the board.
                        That was a solid effort. This is one of the better defensive squads that U18 has had - they kept a lot of puck traffic to the outside and blocked a lot of shots - but their goalie was sharp too. Could be a far different result had Hughes been on the ice; he's that impactful. It was good to see us getting some meaningful shots when the opportunity was there, although inevitably when the other netminder is on his game we start aiming high & wide as was the case in the third.

That appeared to be both a happy and relieved bunch heading of the ice though, a positive way to go into the break.

Comment

Some updates from USHL;

Egor Afanasyev (Muskegon) is tied for 5th in overall scoring with 31 points in 23 games.
                          Egor's teammate and fellow commit to the 2019-20 class, Jagger Joshua, has 16 points in 20 games.
                          Josh Nodler (Fargo) is tied for 5th among rookies with 19 points in 21 games. He is projected for 2020-21.
                          Reed Lebster is having a fine campaign, but unfortunately has changed his commitment to UMass-Amherst.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            Some updates from USHL;

Egor Afanasyev (Muskegon) is tied for 5th in overall scoring with 31 points in 23 games.
                            Egor's teammate and fellow commit to the 2019-20 class, Jagger Joshua, has 16 points in 20 games.
                            Josh Nodler (Fargo) is tied for 5th among rookies with 19 points in 21 games. He is projected for 2020-21.
                            Reed Lebster is having a fine campaign, but unfortunately has changed his commitment to UMass-Amherst.
                            Depending on who leaves this next offseason I wonder If Nodler will come in next year. He’s on pace for close to 20 goals and 30 some assists. Good production in the USHL. We need goal scorers something fierce, especially if our only current goal scorers leave early.

Comment

Depending on who leaves this next offseason I wonder If Nodler will come in next year. He’s on pace for close to 20 goals and 30 some assists. Good production in the USHL. We need goal scorers something fierce, especially if our only current goal scorers leave early.
                              Like so many long-tenured lines before them, one guy leaves and you figure out quickly the "whole was more than the sum of its parts". In other words, say take away Khodorenko's projected 23-ish goals and MSU loses far more than 27% percent of its scoring with his departure alone.

Odds are there could be quite a different offensive makeup to MSU next season.

Comment

I blame yesterday’s results entirely on not wearing the scripts. Gotta go traditional in the GLI.

But really, I don’t know what happened with this team. We’re still putting up goals, but they’re coming randomly now. Nothing comes out of offensive sets, the PP is getting worse by the weekend, and the smooth flow we saw in the first five games is gone. Probably got too confident after that 5-3 win over Ferris, but a 4-1-0 record and an on ice chemistry we hadn’t seen in years was on display that night. Not sure what happened during the bus ride to Big Rapids but nothings been the same since. The closest we’ve come to recreating it was against ND, but their D was too good for us to capitalize on it.

Go out there and get third place today, hopefully set up some momentum for the Buckeyes.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X