Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Ho boy, I was afraid it would be Afanasyev.

Nevertheless, disappointing. But we just have very little roster room opening up at D(also forward) so maybe he decided to go somewhere with more playing time daylight.
    Sorry to cause a panic with my recruiting update. I agree with you that while Silvers' decommit is disappointing, it's not of the magnitude of Afanasyev. I'm hearing that Egor's future is dependent upon which NHL team drafts him and where overall - current thinking is mid-to-late first round or early second round.
    Last edited by FLHockeyMom; 01-31-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
      With the arrival of the Ktwins there isn’t room for every dman in the queue. Glad to see he found a landing place.

Comment

I just realized there is a game tonight. Work was called off the last couple days so my internal schedule is messed up.

Wisky beat the hell out of us last time around. Bad weekend and we’ll be better? Bad matchup and we’ll still get pushed around? Not sure, but we need a win or 2.

Comment

Great win last night. KHL and DeRidder were spectacular as well as the team defense. I don’t know what was going on in Madison but I knew Wisko wasn’t that much better than us. I think they have some pretty good speed and skill but we neutralized that for much of the game.

A less talked about part of KHL’s game is their forecheck. I’m not sure what exactly it is but teams seem to start turning the puck over like crazy on the breakout while our top line is applying pressure. Khodorenko’s stick is especially deadly. He cause 3 or 4 turnovers that kept the pressure on Wisky, including the one that gave Hirose the empty net.

It’s interesting because I don’t think the KHL line is particularly much faster or more tenacious than the other lines. Is it positioning? Some sort of mental factor like the opponents seizing up because they know how dangerous the KHL line is?
          Last edited by Pirateasaur; 02-02-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I’d say we stole that point. We were on our heels much of the game. Although we really poured it on in the last 5 minutes of regulation and the first OT which took some of the sting off the shot disparity. 54 shots for Wisko but they did throw a fair amount of junk at DeRidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
              I’d say we stole that point. We were on our heels much of the game. Although we really poured it on in the last 5 minutes of regulation and the first OT which took some of the sting off the shot disparity. 54 shots for Wisko but they did throw a fair amount of junk at DeRidder.
              'k so the strategy is: dudes got to just pretend it's overtime all the time. Same as last Saturday, rinse, repeat. Play like that (score though).

- - - - - -

So I got an itch to check the Pairwise rankings, and the Spartans are #24, ahead of all but OSU and Notre Dame among the B10's.
              Last edited by owslachief; 02-04-2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Maybe it’s just bitter over losing the shootout, but I don’t see the point in making that sudden death. I’m guessing their point is we’ve already sat through two OT periods, but are another two rounds really that strenuous for the players?
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Yost and LCA this weekend. 1-0-2 in three games against UM, though we've been outshot by a large margin in each contest. Not sure what to expect out of this series. We appear to be on the upswing and UM has been wildly inconsistent the entire year.

It's a shame only one of the five games in this year will be on TV. As TV coverage expands it seems the rivalry gets less air time every year.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    Yost and LCA this weekend. 1-0-2 in three games against UM, though we've been outshot by a large margin in each contest. Not sure what to expect out of this series. We appear to be on the upswing and UM has been wildly inconsistent the entire year.

It's a shame only one of the five games in this year will be on TV. As TV coverage expands it seems the rivalry gets less air time every year.
                    Michigan takes a lot of shots and we often give up a lot of shots. I expect UM to put 35+ up both nights.

However, our defense and goaltending has improved lately. 4 GA in the last 3 games. Also, shots don’t tell the whole story. I think we’ve been forcing teams to take quite a few low percentage shots. Looks good on that part of the stat sheet but does not always translate to goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

I can't remember a more important UM series since the 2009-10 CCHA tournament best-of-3 at Munn - given where things are in the standings and on the calendar, and how relevant the Spartans are currently. If MSU wins one of these games in regulation or overtime, they're ahead via the 2nd tiebreaker.

Comment

Well, we’re going to have to do better than that.

Need the win tonight to keep hosting a playoff series within reach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                          Ho boy, I was afraid it would be Afanasyev.

Nevertheless, disappointing. But we just have very little roster room opening up at D(also forward) so maybe he decided to go somewhere with more playing time daylight.
                          Latest expectation is he goes to Windsor for a year then NHL....Cole doesn’t expect him to go the college route.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                            Latest expectation is he goes to Windsor for a year then NHL....Cole doesn’t expect him to go the college route.
                            That's hugely disappointing about Afanasyev if true, but honestly not entirely unexpected. The fact that Cole hasn't named at least some of his incoming class is a huge red flag to me. It suggests he's known this development for awhile and is still working on improving the team's F recruits in particular.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                              That's hugely disappointing about Afanasyev if true, but honestly not entirely unexpected. The fact that Cole hasn't named at least some of his incoming class is a huge red flag to me. It suggests he's known this development for awhile and is still working on improving the team's F recruits in particular.
                              It probably doesn’t mean anything but I did see a video where his USHL team interviewed him in recent weeks and he said he intends to major in Sports Management or something at MSU. Could just be going through the motions until things are final but they didn’t have to ask him about MSU.

Comment

As for last night, I thought there was a lot to be pleased with. The KHL line was actually neutralized a fair amount but other lines really stepped up(particularly saliba’s) and we got scoring from some names that do not often appear on the stat sheet. Save for their 3rd goal, Lethemon was great.

The 2nd period did get pretty squirrelly. We turned the puck over a ton and I felt the 4 goal lead was in jeapardy but we really buttoned it up in the 3rd.

I’m just gonna skip last weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X