Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

I didn't really watch the defense as much as I would have liked. Davies was shaky, allowed a couple of odd man chances by getting caught in too deep and was partially responsible for the SHG. Not bad in a bad way, but running around like it's his team and not playing positionally sound hockey. The rest of the D was pretty quiet, I was excited to see Willy on the PP1 but Solow ended up back on that right point which he played a lot last year. Harris got the assist like you said, I thought it was a nifty pass attempt from the point but in the end it was only a goal because it bounced off a defender into the right spot. But for straight from prep, I'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
      ..But for straight from prep, I'll take it.
      no kidding. & thanks for rest of the post as well.
      Go Huskies
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        Revengence.. i know he showed on the stat sheet, but how did Jprdan Harris look back there?
        I thought he looked a lot like Davies did early in his freshman year. He flashed most of the night, and the talent is evident, but there were certainly some plays he made that he can't get away with at the D1 level. He'll learn and I think he will be a stud in short order. To me, Harris, Madden and Pec were huge bright spots last night. I agree with TheRev that Davies got caught up ice too much last night. I don't mind him getting into the play at certain times since he's our best player, but he was basically playing position-less hockey last night. The Solow thing was weird, obviously must have been discipline related. Makes you wonder if Filipe/Ruck are injured or if that was discipline related as well. I was disappointed not to see Villella or Kislin, especially since Murphy/Carrabino barely played. Maybe JM makes a change there tonight?
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Rev and TB have pretty much covered everything significant so no point plowing the same ground. Primeau still looked like Primeau. Can't blame him on either of the two goals, especially the first when he was hung out to dry after Plevy got his pocket picked. Two guys who caught my eye: Pecararo (for the right reasons) and Davies (for the wrong reasons). First game of a long season so not drawing any conclusions about anything.

Fully expect to see some guys who were scratches last night play tonight. Hopefully, #17 is among them.
          Last edited by Split-N; 10-13-2018, 11:33 AM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Primeau still looked like Primeau..
            ..that is great to hear.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

nice to hear Pecararo get it going & get on the scoresheet; looking forward to seeing him nxt wknd & throughout the season.
              also happy for JHarris getting his first collegiate G tonight. Go Huskies
              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Pretty much the same thing tonight. Cruised to a win on the back of the first line. Couple of good saves by Primeau to preserve the shutout. Harris' goal was completely by accident just like his assist yesterday, the shot didn't even hit the net then bounced off the goalie's back.

Comment

I half-watched the game, was watching football at the same time. Congrats to Primeau on the shutout, now tied for 4th all time at NU. Pecararo finally gets a collegiate goal, waiting 2.5 years for that one. Came off a nice forecheck and turnover forced by Hawkins. Madden finally gets the first powerplay goal of the year...1 for 13 on the weekend is not very good, but the powerplay did get some good puck movement. Three assists from Lincoln Griffin; first career goal for Harris on a fluke shot, but hey as long as it goes in.

Didn't watch closely enough to comment on any of the defensemen. NU won most of the faceoffs this weekend, which is great.

Union tied and then beat Nebraska Omaha this weekend, scored 8 goals and allowed 7. They'll be a much stiffer test next weekend than SHU was.

Good start to the season.
                  "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Some thoughts after watching both games and again trying not to pass judgments or draw conclusions:

--SHU was actually better than I thought they'd be. Much quicker than I anticipated but just didn't have the depth to match up top-to-bottom and so NU just wore them down. A better way to ease into the season IMO than playing against most of the Canadian teams.

--Breakouts were crisp and clean for the most part. Basically, SHU line rushes resulted in one or two (mostly harmless) shots, then the puck was moving the other way.

--NU forechecking was very effective, resulting in prolonged possessions in the attacking zone. More goals could have been scored but for bad bounces, a few good saves by the SHU keeper, and just plain inability to finish.

--The two frosh Dmen who played (Harris and Villella) looked OK.

--Looks like the next "Big Line" is Hawkins-Madden-Pecararo. Madden looked impressive for a frosh.

--Primeau is still Primeau.
                    Last edited by Split-N; 10-14-2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Gaudette recalled by VAN
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Good start to the season. NU wore down Sacred Heart in the end and scored 9 unanswered from the mid-second period of Game 1 and the shutout on Game 2. Again, Union will be a bigger test. It was very weird to have the game at an arena that clearly sits 8,000 and there was only barely 500 fans in each game.
                        Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                        —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                          ...It was very weird to have the game at an arena that clearly sits 8,000 and there was only barely 500 fans in each game.
                          ...The majority of whom appeared to be NU fans.

Comment

for those outside the area.. Friday's gm will be on NESN & Saturday's on NESNPlus. Hoping for good student turnout at the least.. know it's still early hockey season.. anyway
                            Go Huskies
                            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              ...The majority of whom appeared to be NU fans.
                              I agree, I would say 80%, but SHU did have a decent band. This killed two birds in one stone for me, it allowed to take the ferry to go to Long Island during the stay Saturday between games, too bad it rained the whole time . I did have a nice dinner at a German Beer Hall two blocks from the arena, for the last day of Oktoberfest.
                              Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                              —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Where was Filipe?

Comment

Working...
                                X