X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

win the 1st period 3-0
    lose the 2nd period, 0-1
    lose the 3rd period, 0-1 ... all while controlling puck possession most of the gm..
    NU still unable to finish after first stanza.. just like games of late. work to be done indeed. just glad for their strong start.

well.. road wins as good as any W. team scraped through tonight.
    very impressed with Maine's never say die attitude. Swayman played very well.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

on the maine goals.. primeau leaving the short post bit early & smith beats him glove side.. was 2 D on 1 maine skater.. one of our D has to take the body on that one. 2nd G.. nice rebound push by Daw (i believe his first collegiate goal).. again Primeau makes initial save, D in a position to clear but just bit short or lazy getting to it. at that moment in the gm (late 3rd); gotta clear that & fast. for NU, Madden with 2 assists tonight.

regroup, at it again tomorrow. i still see a split but if we can finish our opportunities, we'll do better.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

a more complete game by NU tonight. just need to see the 60 minutes through.. let's keep it up.
        Go Huskies
        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

4 pt wknd.
          Primeau with the shutout. Scoring much better tonight & overall team D as well. They (positively) surprised me as I had expected a split or less, way they were heading in. Good adjustment in practice last week it seems & over this wknd. We'll need it moving forward (big opponent nxt wknd).
          For now.. nice going team! Go NU

ps: hope Daw for Maine is okay, seems he caught a hit late in the gm & it might cost us Hawkins nxt gm.
          Last edited by northeastern; 01-12-2019, 08:32 PM.
          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

ps: hope Daw for Maine is okay, seems he caught a hit late in the gm & it might cost us Hawkins nxt gm.[/QUOTE]

I DVRD it and that elbow will likely cost him a game when we need him most in a showdown for 1st place. After watching the lackluster Merrimack game last weekend where they ran into a hot goalie, I was a bit worried. However, a 4 PT sweep in Orono is always a good thing and never an easy task as its been like 10 years since we last accomplished it. 2nd place 1/2 way thru January and I have to think if we had had CP last weekend between the pipes we might be tied or in 1st. We have to be pretty happy at this point as 17 PTS is looking pretty nice! However I do not think this years team is as not as good as last years but they are different and can win in many ways and they are getting better. UMASS will be the big test, that said we moved the puck really nicely in transition and really well in the odd man rushes...that's always good!
            Last edited by RossiRules; 01-12-2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              4 pt wknd.
              Primeau with the shutout. Scoring much better tonight & overall team D as well. They (positively) surprised me as I had expected a split or less, way they were heading in. Good adjustment in practice last week it seems & over this wknd. We'll need it moving forward (big opponent nxt wknd).
              For now.. nice going team! Go NU

ps: hope Daw for Maine is okay, seems he caught a hit late in the gm & it might cost us Hawkins nxt gm.
              Primeau is a bread & butter goalie, teams like NU can ride his play a long ways...he's a game changer and cool as a cucumber in net/ nothing bother's him. Hoping Dawes is ok, but he had a wicked hit this season and had a concussion, he's but one of ONLY two bright spots for Maine [Swayman along with Dawes]….NU spanked Maine this weekend...both nights.

Comment

Went to yesterday's game, 8 hours on the road total but worth it. Alfond is great. I get the hype. Unfortuantely students were on break but the band was legit the best I've seen or heard in the NCAA. The fanbase is clearly passionate, to fault honestly. And I love all the history displays they have- championships, all americans, olympians, big significant wins in the history of the team and the arena. This is stuff I wish NU would do and have been asking for for about 5 years on the walls of the Matthews staircases and concourse.

Maine has some dudes with hockey skill, but mostly of the team is composed of big dudes who don't have nearly enough skill to keep up with NU or upper-tier Hockey East teams. They have some good players- Tralmaks, JSS, Dawe, Keeper, Pearson...but they aren't in a system that allows them and their skills to shine.Huskies dominated long stretches of play both nights. Maine came out aggressive night 1 but NU took that punch and capitalized on the three goal chances as TMM spoke about above. The two goals that NU gave up I didn't think were too bad, the second being a broken scramble in front. NU withstood the pressure and deserved to come out on top. Heavily out-shot Maine as well.

The second night, Maine came out similarly aggressive and the first period had good chances going both ways, but after the second period started, NU looked like a team worlds ahead of Maine. That first goal that Solow scored, Maine players stopped playing because they thought it was offside. Solow picked up the puck and snuck it through an unprepared goalie, which is a microcosm of both teams- NU playing until a whistle is heard, alert and playing heads up, whereas Maine took a couple seconds off and it cost them. Followed that with a beautiful 3-on-2 rush where Kislin fed Pec for a lovely bardown goal (must have felt good to score against Maine for him) and a Hawkins bomb on the powerplay (more of that please Jim), and that's when the game was pretty out of doubt for me. Maine fans around me started getting disgusted after the Hawkins goal, and that continued with how Maine played the rest of the way. Hawkins' second goal was lovely too, snapping one home from in close.

Unfortunately, the end of the game was marred by some goonish tactics from Maine, and the Huskies were vilified for protecting their own players (Davies protecting Primeau, Lerario protecting multiple guys in the last minute). Hawkins' elbowing penalty was in no way intentional to the head of Dawe, and was in no way worthy of a major penalty, but considering tempers and the state of the game, can't blame the officials taking charge. They missed a cross-check to a prone Lerario's back (which Jim was ripping into them for), and I, like many folks probably, just wanted the game to end at that point. Pretty crappy move by the Maine backup goalie going after Lerario in the handshake line too.

Hawkins penalty: https://***********/NUHockeyBlog/sta...69691467350016

McGovern going after Lerario: https://***********/NUHockeyBlog/sta...81586248548352

First sweep in Orono since 2008, and Primeau is now T-3 in shutouts (7) with Keni Gibson. Incredible what he's done in net.
                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Biggest, most compelling home-and-home series in many, many moons coming up this weekend. And who would have anticipated that the opponent in such a pivotal series would be.....UMass? Really? Friday game from Mullins on NESN; Saturday game from Matthews on NESN+. Both games also on TSN (Canada). Shouldn't be many empty seats at either venue.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

gotta stay out of the box against them.. Coaches should watch the Lowell gm. Riverhawks matched up well & beat 'em. I am hoping we can get some pts. Minutemen are for real. Just reclaimed their #1 ranking in the polls.. target & pressure always on National #1. We #8 in the poll, & supposed to lose. Hawkins will be missed if out indeed. Practice smart, play loose, pucks on net & let the chips fly. Go Huskies
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      ...Hawkins will be missed if out indeed...
                      Hawkins got a major for elbowing and a game misconduct...not a game disqualification. Under NCAA rules, a GM does not carry any additional mandatory suspension; a DQ carries a mandatory one-game suspension. HEA could still issue a suspension under its supplementary discipline power but there's no announcement to this effect on the HEA website. (At least so far.)

Comment

Maine recap http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...eremy-swayman/
                        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• glad to hear (well not hear anything), that our roster will indeed be intact vs the Minutemen. Weather may be a factor for Sat night gm @ NU (far as the UMass team's return unless they stay overnight).. wondering if the game time will be moved up earlier in the day or stay intact. Nevertheless, tough tough road test tomorrow - in Cayden & co. we trust. Go Huskies!
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

We have a basketball game in the afternoon, the game isn't going anywhere.

Comment

It's mid-January in Boston. It snows. A lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                It's mid-January in Boston. It snows. A lot.
                                given the circumstances.. i'm just glad its home gm NU on Sat night & let H.E / UMass worry about whatever precautions after, AFTER we've taken some points on the wknd. Hopefully! rest weather & all mixed in..sounds like a plan
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X