Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Your boys haven’t dropped any to Bentley yet, have they?
    Now you've gone and ruined my whole weekend. The very thought of Bentley makes me break out in hives.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      This says it all. If presumptive starting goaltender Craig Pantano is the same guy who totally stoned NU at Matthews last Jan, they will be a force. If not...….
      From a Mack fan's perspective, we caught lightning in a bottle with him for 1 year. Last year he was terrible for most of the season. 3.52 gaa and .889 save percentage. My opinion is that he was recruited as a 3rd string goalie (at the Mack no less!) for a reason. He is very active and he can steal games with some acrobatic saves but he is also out of position a lot, leaves a ton of rebounds and gets beat on them often. You guys having a better team than Mack did last year will definitely help, but I think his gaa is around 3.00 and save percentage at best will be around .900
      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Goaltending is certainly a major question mark. Another is the defense. On paper, the NU defense should be stacked top to bottom. The question is how long it will take blue chip frosh like Jayden Struble and Mike Kesselring to adapt to the college game. If they do it as quickly as Jordan Harris and Julian Kislin did last year, it should be tougher for opponents to get quality shots to the net. At least that's the hope.

And a kind of wild card is coaching. Jason Smith, who coached the defense the last few years, has moved on to a similar position at Brown while Mike McLaughlin takes on the coaching duties. Changes in defensive coaching approach in the offing?
        Last edited by Split-N; 09-30-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Now you've gone and ruined my whole weekend. The very thought of Bentley makes me break out in hives.
          Too late now to say sorry
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Goaltending is certainly a major question mark. Another is the defense. On paper, the NU defense should be stacked top to bottom. The question is how long it will take blue chip frosh like Jayden Struble and Mike Kesselring to adapt to the college game. If they do it as quickly as Jordan Harris and Julian Kislin did last year, it should be tougher for opponents to get quality shots to the net. At least that's the hope.

And a kind of wild card is coaching. Jason Smith, who coached the defense the last few years, has moved on to a similar position at Brown while Mike McLaughlin takes on the coaching duties. Changes in defensive coaching approach in the offing?
            IMHO last year's defensive play was nothing to brag about. Not only did we find ourselves outshot in many games that we won, we gave up a great many "Grade A" opportunities. We effectively gave Cayden a chance to showcase his extraordinary talent. Perhaps the guys in front of him took chances because Cayden was behind them. He gave up very few softies and that made the difference between one goal wins and on or two goal losses.

Mike McLaughlin was a smart and responsible defensive forward (and captain) who chipped in with 22 goals. He was a 4 year HEA All-Academic, and accomplished as much off the ice as he did on it.

For our newbies and very young alumni who aren't familiar with him, here is his bio: https://nuhuskies.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2042&path=mhockey.

It immediately tells me several things: Like Jimmy, he bleeds red and black. He has an amazing academic resume' and prefers a career in hockey to a potentially more lucrative$ position in the corporate world. Lastly, he is a quick study and a problem solver . A bonus would be that the players know and like him.

He is starting with perhaps the best corps of defensemen (Once the freshmen are fully acclimated) that I can ever remember our coaches assembling. I expect that there will be changes and that the results will be positive.

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post

A bonus would be that the players know and like him.

.[/U]
              Mike is a positive role model & good teacher. The players will like him a lot (just my opinion).
              GO NU HOCKEY
              Always bullish on the future.
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Picked up from Diehard Dogs: (1) An Edmonton Journal video with a reporter and blogger chatting about Mike Kesselring (begins at the 10:15 mark); and 2) A one-on-one interview with Kesselring.

https://youtu.be/HG37k-zktvQ (Edmonton Journal/Culture of Hockey Blog)

https://youtu.be/sB2xU_mcLDs (Kesselring Interview)

Incredible how high the two local journalists are about him. Lots of talk about size, speed, intensity, and playing with an edge. For his part, Kesselring comes across as very polished in his interview. Interesting that saw himself inheriting the puck-rushing role from Jeremy Davies.
                Last edited by Split-N; 10-01-2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

For his part, Kesselring comes across as very polished in his interview. Interesting that saw himself inheriting the puck-rushing role from Jeremy Davies.
                  ..definitely fits the bill. good interview by him (interesting they said same birthday as connor mcdavid just 3 yrs younger). sounds quite mature for 19 & good hockey knowledge. look forward to seeing him at NU.
                  GO NU HOCKEY
                  We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

We lose Jason Smith to Brown & we get.. a Brown alum of course..

good hire with good knowledge, good connections, imo..

per Jeff Cox:

Brown alum Matt Harlow, who was interim head coach at Tabor, River Rats 15s head coach, and previously an amateur scout for NYI, is set to become the new Director of Hockey Ops at Northeastern

https://www.hockeyjournal.com/notebo...s-matt-harlow/
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

With NU men's hockey inactive this wknd.. decent article by CHN as college hockey season begins..

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-The-Watch.php
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I'm excited to see how the goaltending situation plays out. How does Pantano do with a better team in front of him? Is Murphy ready to play some games? I think the team has a lot of talent in front of them that should make things interesting.
                        Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

• Could Swayman transfer from Maine to.NU...
                          (wishful thinking & I am half kidding).. but kid is a good goalie & seems like his talent being wasted there early.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

6 players listed in the preliminary 2020 NHL Central Scouting watch list.

Colangelo listed as a B-rated forward, which is rounds 2-3.

Bradley, Choupani, Cooley, Williams, as well as 2019 freshman Bucheler, listed as C-ratings (rounds 4-6)
                            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
                              ...I think the team has a lot of talent in front of them that should make things interesting.
                              Interesting that they were picked for a 4th place finish by both the media and coaches. That puts them right in the middle of a range that has both upside and downside potential, depending on how several x-factors work out. Most of the speculation has centered on goaltending but my thinking is that the quicker heralded Dmen Mike Kesselring and Jayden Struble adapt to the college game, the less hyper-critical goaltending becomes. If both live up to their advance reputations, NU could be lock-down good on defense. Offense IMO will take care of itself.

So maybe some bumps as the newcomers find their way but I'd be surprised if things don't smooth out by the time the Belfast trip comes around.

Comment

Working...
                              X