Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Although Northeastern’s first game is still (just) five days away, the 2018-19 college hockey season has officially opened, so it’s time for a new season thread for the “New Breed” Huskies.

Lamentable as it may be to some, the old red-eyed “Devil Dog” has been retired after 30 years or so of faithful service, replaced by a bigger, apparently determined “New Breed” husky that does not have bloodshot eyes (yet) and can appear either in profile (uniform logos) or standing (center ice logo), along with a host of uniform design changes. [BTW, the retired Devil Dog reserves the right to make occasional appearances when the red “special occasion” uniforms are worn.]

This year’s team is also a new breed, taking the ice without the Big Three for the first time in three seasons. And taking the new breed theme even further, the strength of this year’s team is defense and goaltending rather than prolific scoring. My own take is that, assuming the defense and goaltending come as advertised, the scoring will take care of itself. So losing the Big Three may not be a bad thing if it opens the door to more distributed and consistent scoring among the returning vets, incoming transfers, and highly touted freshmen.

Both the media and coaches pre-season polls have the New Breed projected for a fourth place finish, which seems fair and reasonable. The potential to move up is there provided the scoring shows up, as is the potential to move down if defense and goaltending don't live up to expectations. The ups and downs will be there but it should be another great ride.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

not overlooking SHU wknd at all.. but the Union series should tell us some about this yrs squad. The Dutchmen, a shade out of the top 20, but well coached & competitive always will be looking to make a strong ooc showing.
    Go Huskies (give us the good kind of 'howlin)
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
      not overlooking SHU wknd at all.. but the Union series should tell us some about this yrs squad. The Dutchmen, a shade out of the top 20, but well coached & competitive always will be looking to make a strong ooc showing.
      Go Huskies (give us the good kind of 'howlin)
      Agree while SH on the road may not be enough of a barometer, Union at home is going to be a good early benchmark, with a nod of assumption to our D and Goalie, I think we just need to determine where the Offence will be generated this season, who is going to step up or surprise us. Nice to be back on here. Cheers!

Comment

All due respect to SHU (agree not a good idea to look past them) but the early schedule is loaded: Unionx2 (10/19-20); UML (10-26); St Cloud (10/27); bux2 11/1&3). I think we'll all have some good answers by 11/4.

Comment

Well well. Based on postings at both dieharddogs.com and the NU Hockey Blog, it looks like Matthews will be without a center scoreboard until at least the holiday break. Apparently, delays were encountered in getting the steel needed to reinforce the roof delivered on time. So no giant jumbotron for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Well well. Based on postings at both dieharddogs.com and the NU Hockey Blog, it looks like Matthews will be without a center scoreboard until at least the holiday break. Apparently, delays were encountered in getting the steel needed to reinforce the roof delivered on time. So no giant jumbotron for the time being.
            that is some terrible project management. leave it at that.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

moving on to shu.. what do we know about them? i noticed (ex- nu) jason cotton on their roster. friday is home opener for them as well & i dont think they have played any exhibition gms, much like us. here's to a injury free wknd.
              go huskies
              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Our preview of the season opening series with Sacred Heart, and what to watch for

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ga...s-hockey-east/
                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

My plan is to go to both games. Bridgeport is about a four drive, and it allows me to take the ferry to Long Island to visit some old haunts during the day on Saturday. It look like they only have five sections open at Webster Bank Arena and tickets only range from $5-10.
                  Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                  —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                    that is some terrible project management. leave it at that.
                    If what I've been told bears any resemblance to reality, It would be hard to point the finger at NU. Steel is apparently in very high demand these days and construction managers I know say that late deliveries are not uncommon. Stuff happens.

But by happy coincidence, some unexpected business in the Boston area for next week just presented itself so I'm thinking of driving up, stopping in Bridgeport for the weekend, and then continuing on. (Sounds like a good excuse to get out of Dodge for more than a few days.)

Comment

Go N U
                      GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

giving up the shortie.. least we're consistent beginning each season.
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

on the flip side.. after trailing early, nice to see a productive 3rd with scoring spread out.
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Good game overall. The new first line almost looked like the old one. Pecararo seemed to be everything we waited 2.5 years for. Madden looked nothing like a freshman. If you told me 9-8-21 switched numbers and came back for a night I would probably believe you. Solow looked like a man on a mission, hopefully that extends to Filipe when he comes back. PP had good chances in spite of the 0-9 showing, but needs to work on allowing odd man chances the other way, if SHU can burn them multiple times they aren't ready for Hockey East. Didn't really see 22 or 6 at all, if we're playing all season with 4 defensemen again hopefully we at least give 8 or 24 a look tomorrow.

Comment

Revengence.. i know he showed on the stat sheet, but how did Jprdan Harris look back there?
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                              X